Re: [SCA Newcomers] A couple of questions...

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 6 7:47 AM
      On Thursday 05 February 2004 22:34, Dufgall vinaldasson wrote:
      > if you will be bringing it to events, i would suggest
      > making sure that it has a calm and gentle personality,
      > especialy if it's a large dog, friendly is great for
      > smaller dogs.

      And check with the Autocrat for each event. All sites are required by law
      to admit assistive animals for physically challenged SCAdians, but many
      sites do not allow other animals.

      fesswise reversed sable.

    • ankashai
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6 4:25 PM
        In answer to the question about an escort, a lady isn't *required*
        to have an escort. No one is going to stop you from walking around on
        your own.

        That said, if being escorted is what you're worried about, don't
        worry. If you feel like you need an escort, someone will probably
        volunteer, or you can just ask a handsome young man to escort you For
        example, you're trying to get back to your camp in the dark, and
        either want an escort just for safety [ which doesn't seem to be much
        of an issue at most events, but there's a lot to be said for peace of
        mind ], or because you're lost, or you're feeling a little tipsy or
        whatever. I usually end up at events by myself, and everytime I try
        to walk somewhere in the dark *someone* will usually escort me where
        I'm going. If all else fails, just speak up; something along the
        lines of "Would one of you gentleman be so kind as to escort a lady
        back to her camp?" should get them hopping! =D

        On the note of dogs, when in doubt call the autocrat. He/She will
        be able to tell you whether animals are allowed, requirements, ect.
      • Ld. Dylan
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 17 12:53 PM
          Having read all the previous replies to this question, I thought I'd
          put in my two cents worth as well. All of the advice is good as far
          as bringing your animal to an event. In fact, there are some groups
          (mainly in the eastern kingdoms) where some events are planned around
          a "coursing of the hounds" activity...sort of an ancestor of modern-
          day dog-racing. That suggests that the participants have dogs of
          breeds suitable for that kind of thing.

          With regard to the escort question, it's more of a tradition than a
          requirement, and then too it's directed more toward the gentlemen
          than the ladies. However, like one person said, if you feel more
          comfortable with an escort, by all means speak up...you will probably
          have several to choose from.

          One other note on dogs: I don't know of too many people who would
          care to argue with an English Mastiff :-)

          Be Cool,
          Dylan

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "kateryncorbett"
          <tchristensen@c...> wrote:
          > Does anyone bring their dogs to events?
          > I have heard that a lady does not walk out alone, but must have an
          > escort? Would a dog be an escort?
          > Thanks.
        • kateryncorbett
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 17 6:50 PM
            "One other note on dogs: I don't know of too many people who would
            > care to argue with an English Mastiff :-)"

            Full grown probably not, but she's just a baby 20lbs so far - 130lbs
            to go!
            Check out the site, pictures up of her:
            http://www.geocities.com/j_richey1984/indexe.html?1076350295790

            Thanks for your $.02