Re: [SCA Newcomers] A couple of questions...

  • kateryncorbett
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 5, 2004
      They are to dogs what lions are to cats. They are absolutely huge.
      This girl will weigh in 150+/- with that kind of mass they are
      extremely well trained. They are great with kids as well. I am
      excited she is almost 8 wks old and coming home in a few days. She
      matches my persona perfectly but I have not yet a name.
      Kateryn
    • Doug Gintaras
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6, 2004
        From what I have seen is that it all depends on whether the site allows it
        or not. But I have seen people their dogs (and hawks, and falcons, and
        ferrets :).

        ~Gintaras, C.R.C.~
        Midrealm
        Midlands
        Ravenslake

        >From: Dufgall vinaldasson <dufgall@...>
        >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] A couple of questions...
        >Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 18:56:51 -0800 (PST)
        >
        >only if the dog is Roland of Wolfstien Castle. ;0)
        >
        >the groups that i play with, one friend of mine brings
        >his great peronise(spelling is off). he's a beautiful
        >dog, with a lovely personality. and large enough to
        >ward off any would be assailants.
        >
        >basicly, though it's not completely common, it isn't
        >NOT done.
        >
        >Dufgall
        >--- kateryncorbett <tchristensen@...> wrote:
        > > Does anyone bring their dogs to events?
        > > I have heard that a lady does not walk out alone,
        > > but must have an
        > > escort? Would a dog be an escort?
        > > Thanks.
        > >

        >=====
        >Yours in Service,
        >Dufgall, Son of Vinaldi,
        >Principality of Gleann Abhann
        >
        >House Shadow Legion
        >{sable, on a bend sinister argent three wolves courant sable}
        >
        >Clan of the Virtues
        >{vert, on a bend sinister argent four ewes vert}

        >Yahoo! Finance: Get your refund fast by filing online.
        >http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

        Let the advanced features & services of MSN Internet Software maximize your
        online time. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200363ave/direct/01/
      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 6, 2004
          On Thursday 05 February 2004 22:34, Dufgall vinaldasson wrote:
          > if you will be bringing it to events, i would suggest
          > making sure that it has a calm and gentle personality,
          > especialy if it's a large dog, friendly is great for
          > smaller dogs.

          And check with the Autocrat for each event. All sites are required by law
          to admit assistive animals for physically challenged SCAdians, but many
          sites do not allow other animals.

          fesswise reversed sable.

        • ankashai
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 6, 2004
            In answer to the question about an escort, a lady isn't *required*
            to have an escort. No one is going to stop you from walking around on
            your own.

            That said, if being escorted is what you're worried about, don't
            worry. If you feel like you need an escort, someone will probably
            volunteer, or you can just ask a handsome young man to escort you For
            example, you're trying to get back to your camp in the dark, and
            either want an escort just for safety [ which doesn't seem to be much
            of an issue at most events, but there's a lot to be said for peace of
            mind ], or because you're lost, or you're feeling a little tipsy or
            whatever. I usually end up at events by myself, and everytime I try
            to walk somewhere in the dark *someone* will usually escort me where
            I'm going. If all else fails, just speak up; something along the
            lines of "Would one of you gentleman be so kind as to escort a lady
            back to her camp?" should get them hopping! =D

            On the note of dogs, when in doubt call the autocrat. He/She will
            be able to tell you whether animals are allowed, requirements, ect.
          • Ld. Dylan
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 17, 2004
              Having read all the previous replies to this question, I thought I'd
              put in my two cents worth as well. All of the advice is good as far
              as bringing your animal to an event. In fact, there are some groups
              (mainly in the eastern kingdoms) where some events are planned around
              a "coursing of the hounds" activity...sort of an ancestor of modern-
              day dog-racing. That suggests that the participants have dogs of
              breeds suitable for that kind of thing.

              With regard to the escort question, it's more of a tradition than a
              requirement, and then too it's directed more toward the gentlemen
              than the ladies. However, like one person said, if you feel more
              comfortable with an escort, by all means speak up...you will probably
              have several to choose from.

              One other note on dogs: I don't know of too many people who would
              care to argue with an English Mastiff :-)

              Be Cool,
              Dylan

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "kateryncorbett"
              <tchristensen@c...> wrote:
              > Does anyone bring their dogs to events?
              > I have heard that a lady does not walk out alone, but must have an
              > escort? Would a dog be an escort?
              > Thanks.
            • kateryncorbett
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 17, 2004
                "One other note on dogs: I don't know of too many people who would
                > care to argue with an English Mastiff :-)"

                Full grown probably not, but she's just a baby 20lbs so far - 130lbs
                to go!
                Check out the site, pictures up of her:
                http://www.geocities.com/j_richey1984/indexe.html?1076350295790

                Thanks for your $.02