Re: [SCA Newcomers] armor

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 4, 2004
      On Tuesday 03 February 2004 05:29, sir_james_w wrote:
      > Pardon the e-mail name, for I was using that before I knew about
      > the SCA, I feel it is inapropriate seeing as how I haven't earned
      > that title, and will soon have an address that I can use in the sca.

      [shrug] No worries. :-)

      >[...] My problem is that I need armor, but I'm told that you can't
      > buy armor in sizes like sm, md, lg and expect it to fit right. I need
      > to know if this is true, because right now I can not afford to pay
      > for custom fitted armor.

      Others have given some great advice, but I wanted to add a couple of
      things:

      1. Your first set of armor will *not* be your last set. Armor is a project
      that is never done, because you will continue to fine-tune it, item by
      item, and modify/replace things as you gain experience as a fighter.

      2. Off-the-rack may not work well for a Crown Tourney contender, but you
      can get away with it while learning. The only thing that really has
      to be carefully fitted is your helm, but you will custom-pad your own
      helm even if you purchase it from an armourer, since they come un-
      padded. Take the advice that someone else posted, and see if you can
      borrow armor to see what you like and dislike before you purchase
      anything. Loaner armor just has to fit well enough to be safe, not
      necessarily perfectly. Ask your local Marshal to check it out.

      3. Making armor is, in my opinion, even more fun than fighting! You will
      be amazed at what you can make yourself, quite inexpensively, with
      guidance from an experienced person. Steel is very cheap; when you
      buy armor, you are paying for labor, not for materials, unless you
      want something really exotic.

      4. Don't worry too much about how your armor looks, especially when you
      are new. Armor has a way of getting the crap pounded out of it on
      the battlefield (imagine that!), so worry more about safety and comfort
      than about looks at first. Over time, you'll learn how to make armor
      that looks great and protects well.

      Justin
      Hoping we get the chance to whack each other with sticks some day!

      fesswise reversed sable.

    • john
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 15, 2004
        I, like yourself am fairly new. About 2 years now. I have gotten
        involved with fighting and I have made most of my own armor. I got
        information on the net and from others in my group. One of the
        easiest, yet time consuming was making a coat of plates. I figured
        it would be lighter if I made it out of Lexan. I got the Lexan from
        the local glass shop for $10.00. I bought his scrap. Just went
        through the scrap pile and picked the biggest pieces. I then bought
        some canvas and made the vest using the plates that I cut. Lexan
        cuts with a jig saw or hacksaw. I attached them to the canvas with
        roofing nails that I cut into rivets.

        Other ideas are out there. There may be people like myself that have
        a lot of time on their hands and will make armor for others in their
        group for little profit.

        Galfrid

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "sir_james_w" <sir_james_w@h...>
        wrote:
        > Pardon the e-mail name, for I was using that before I knew
        about
        > the SCA, I feel it is inapropriate seeing as how I haven't earned
        > that title, and will soon have an address that I can use in the
        sca.
        > I am fairly new to the sca. I have been to about 4 or 5 events, so
        > I'm starting to feel comfortable, but still feel out of place. I
        > want to be more active in the sca and join the fighters in the
        local
        > group. My problem is that I need armor, but I'm told that you
        can't
        > buy armor in sizes like sm, md, lg and expect it to fit right. I
        need
        > to know if this is true, because right now I can not afford to pay
        > for custom fitted armor. If the case is otherwise, then could
        anyone
        > tell me of a good distributer that I can order from. If my
        location
        > is of importance then I am in the kingdom of Ansteorra, on the
        border
        > of Brahd Leigh...spelling?....and Steppes I believe.
      • chemistbb3
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2004
          Good use of alternate material and sources for armor. However I
          would not think that Lexan would be able to hold up to the abuse.
          Please drop a line on how the Lexan holds up. Also, roofing nails
          are pretty close to what was known as arming nails in period.

          William

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "john" <mk2jersey@y...> wrote:
          > I, like yourself am fairly new. About 2 years now. I have gotten
          > involved with fighting and I have made most of my own armor. I got
          > information on the net and from others in my group. One of the
          > easiest, yet time consuming was making a coat of plates. I figured
          > it would be lighter if I made it out of Lexan. I got the Lexan
          from
          > the local glass shop for $10.00. I bought his scrap. Just went
          > through the scrap pile and picked the biggest pieces. I then
          bought
          > some canvas and made the vest using the plates that I cut. Lexan
          > cuts with a jig saw or hacksaw. I attached them to the canvas with
          > roofing nails that I cut into rivets.
          >
          > Other ideas are out there. There may be people like myself that
          have
          > a lot of time on their hands and will make armor for others in
          their
          > group for little profit.
          >
          > Galfrid
        • Michelle
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 30, 2004
            does anyone know somewhere where i can get a inexpencive but quality
            helm? i am on a college budget but i want to do heavy combat
            fighting.
            ~Judith
          • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 31, 2004
              On Monday 30 August 2004 16:47, Michelle wrote:
              > does anyone know somewhere where i can get a inexpencive but quality
              > helm? i am on a college budget but i want to do heavy combat
              > fighting.

              Anyone in your shire making armor, and could teach you? The materials to
              make basic armor tend to be dirt cheap. If you can borrow the tools, and
              get the tutelage, you can have a lot of fun and save yourself a bundle.
              It's not as hard to do as you might think.

              keys fesswise reversed sable.

            • pam
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
                Dear Dylan,
                I am not a fighter but my boyfriend was for many years and is
                getting back into armor for this upcoming Estrella War. I asked him
                to reply to your request for armor information. This is what he had
                to say:

                Greetings Dylan;

                It's not patriotism that makes me avoid buying the inexpensive
                foreign made armor. If I am going to entrust my life to my armor, I
                want to make sure that its been made for how I'm going to use it.
                Chances are the folks in Pakistan, or other places, who are knocking
                together bits of wall hanger armor made from metals of uncertain
                history, have never heard of the SCA. Relatively few people in the
                world are even aware that we engage in full speed, full contact
                martial arts with clubs, often in groups of 1000 or more people at a
                time.

                There is good armor, and there is cheap armor. In the past 20
                years, I have yet to find good, cheap armor. Good armor costs
                either time or money. It's up to you which you want to invest. If
                you have the time, you can build your own. Talk to the other
                fighters in your area, and see who is building their own armor and
                ask them for help. Many of them will be more than willing to teach
                you how to make your own. If you keep track of the time and
                materials you use to make each piece of armor, and multiply your
                time by what you consider a living wage, you will probably be
                surprised by what that armor is worth.

                If you have more money than time, and some people actually do, you
                can buy what you need. Not all armorers have Internet web sites
                either. Probably your best source of information will again be
                other fighters in your area. Visit the local fighter practice and
                ask them about their armor, especially if you see something you
                like. You will probably find one or more people who make armor
                locally for sale. Whether your armorer is on-line or local, make
                sure you find out what kind of a reputation he has. I know of a few
                who can work wonders with metal, but have a hard time meeting
                production schedules. The local fighters will know and will let you
                know as well, who can be depended on and who can't. If at all
                possible, meet your armorer.

                If you can at all manage it, go to a war, and visit the merchants
                there. The bigger the war, the better. The competition insures the
                best prices, and you can actually see and handle the merchandise.
                You can also talk to the merchants about their products, and about
                their competition. It's amazing what you can learn.

                In the last few weeks I have been dealing with Windrose Armoury

                www.windrosearmoury.com

                for a new helmet, pauldrons, and gorget. I have been quite pleased
                with their products and service. They are not cheap, but their
                quality is outstanding.

                Good luck to you.
                Benedictimus,
                Father Michael (Eskalya))