Re: armor

  • athterath@HotPOP.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2004
      sir_james_w wrote:
      >I need armor, but I'm told that you can't buy armor in sizes like sm, md, lg and expect it to fit right.. . .I am in the kingdom of Ansteorra, on the border of Brahd Leigh. . .and Steppes I believe.

      You're fortunate, in that our Stellar Kingdom is rich with individuals. . .well, I don't want to say "obsessed". . .let's just say, "strongly interested in" all things having to do with armed combat. Someone in one of the groups close to you is bound to be able to help you out with this.

      Speak to the Knight Marshall (that would be the individual responsible for orchestrating and overseeing local combat and combat training) of either. They should be able to offer you loaner armour for now, and to help you choose and/or make armour that will fit your budget, persona, and needs, as well as your body, for the long term (or to point you to someone local who can). Brad Leah's website is at <http://brad-leah.ansteorra.org/>, and their Knight Marshall can be reached by e-mail at <mailto:cwright@...>. Steppes' website is at <http://www.steppes.org>; their Knight Marshall can be reached at <mailto:morganbuchanan@...>.

      In the meantime, you might want to check out the Armour Archive <http://www.armourarchive.org/> or the "Period and SCA Combat" section of Stefan's Florilegium <http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/idxcombat.html>, or do a search for the terms "how to", "make", "SCA", and "armour" and read any of the do-it-yourself pages that return, to begin to get a feel for the options.

      Good luck, and welcome.

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      <mailto:Athterath@...>
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Ansteorra
    • Garrett
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3, 2004
        You might try the following Usergroup.

        Rawmetal is a group for newbie SCA fighters. Lots of good questions
        and answers about making armor and different fighting methods. I
        find the group helpful.

        The best advice for a new fighter is to ask around at your local
        fighter practice. They can tell you good areas to either get new
        armor or the supplies to make armor. Also the local guys can help
        make it too.

        I was lucky, when I started fighter, there was one fighter who wanted
        to sell his brig and make a new one. I was there at the right time
        to buy his old one. I still use that one. No matter how much of
        the armor you decide to make and how much to buy, I would suggest
        that you buy your helmet. Don;t try to make one unless you have a
        lot of metal working under your belt. The other parts of the armor
        can be made fairly easily.

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "sir_james_w" <sir_james_w@h...>
        wrote:
        > Pardon the e-mail name, for I was using that before I knew
        about
        > the SCA, I feel it is inapropriate seeing as how I haven't earned
        > that title, and will soon have an address that I can use in the
        sca.
        > I am fairly new to the sca. I have been to about 4 or 5 events, so
        > I'm starting to feel comfortable, but still feel out of place. I
        > want to be more active in the sca and join the fighters in the
        local
        > group. My problem is that I need armor, but I'm told that you
        can't
        > buy armor in sizes like sm, md, lg and expect it to fit right. I
        need
        > to know if this is true, because right now I can not afford to pay
        > for custom fitted armor. If the case is otherwise, then could
        anyone
        > tell me of a good distributer that I can order from. If my
        location
        > is of importance then I am in the kingdom of Ansteorra, on the
        border
        > of Brahd Leigh...spelling?....and Steppes I believe.
      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 4, 2004
          On Tuesday 03 February 2004 05:29, sir_james_w wrote:
          > Pardon the e-mail name, for I was using that before I knew about
          > the SCA, I feel it is inapropriate seeing as how I haven't earned
          > that title, and will soon have an address that I can use in the sca.

          [shrug] No worries. :-)

          >[...] My problem is that I need armor, but I'm told that you can't
          > buy armor in sizes like sm, md, lg and expect it to fit right. I need
          > to know if this is true, because right now I can not afford to pay
          > for custom fitted armor.

          Others have given some great advice, but I wanted to add a couple of
          things:

          1. Your first set of armor will *not* be your last set. Armor is a project
          that is never done, because you will continue to fine-tune it, item by
          item, and modify/replace things as you gain experience as a fighter.

          2. Off-the-rack may not work well for a Crown Tourney contender, but you
          can get away with it while learning. The only thing that really has
          to be carefully fitted is your helm, but you will custom-pad your own
          helm even if you purchase it from an armourer, since they come un-
          padded. Take the advice that someone else posted, and see if you can
          borrow armor to see what you like and dislike before you purchase
          anything. Loaner armor just has to fit well enough to be safe, not
          necessarily perfectly. Ask your local Marshal to check it out.

          3. Making armor is, in my opinion, even more fun than fighting! You will
          be amazed at what you can make yourself, quite inexpensively, with
          guidance from an experienced person. Steel is very cheap; when you
          buy armor, you are paying for labor, not for materials, unless you
          want something really exotic.

          4. Don't worry too much about how your armor looks, especially when you
          are new. Armor has a way of getting the crap pounded out of it on
          the battlefield (imagine that!), so worry more about safety and comfort
          than about looks at first. Over time, you'll learn how to make armor
          that looks great and protects well.

          Justin
          Hoping we get the chance to whack each other with sticks some day!

          fesswise reversed sable.

        • john
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 15, 2004
            I, like yourself am fairly new. About 2 years now. I have gotten
            involved with fighting and I have made most of my own armor. I got
            information on the net and from others in my group. One of the
            easiest, yet time consuming was making a coat of plates. I figured
            it would be lighter if I made it out of Lexan. I got the Lexan from
            the local glass shop for $10.00. I bought his scrap. Just went
            through the scrap pile and picked the biggest pieces. I then bought
            some canvas and made the vest using the plates that I cut. Lexan
            cuts with a jig saw or hacksaw. I attached them to the canvas with
            roofing nails that I cut into rivets.

            Other ideas are out there. There may be people like myself that have
            a lot of time on their hands and will make armor for others in their
            group for little profit.

            Galfrid

            wrote:
            > Pardon the e-mail name, for I was using that before I knew
            about
            > the SCA, I feel it is inapropriate seeing as how I haven't earned
            > that title, and will soon have an address that I can use in the
            sca.
            > I am fairly new to the sca. I have been to about 4 or 5 events, so
            > I'm starting to feel comfortable, but still feel out of place. I
            > want to be more active in the sca and join the fighters in the
            local
            > group. My problem is that I need armor, but I'm told that you
            can't
            > buy armor in sizes like sm, md, lg and expect it to fit right. I
            need
            > to know if this is true, because right now I can not afford to pay
            > for custom fitted armor. If the case is otherwise, then could
            anyone
            > tell me of a good distributer that I can order from. If my
            location
            > is of importance then I am in the kingdom of Ansteorra, on the
            border
            > of Brahd Leigh...spelling?....and Steppes I believe.
          • chemistbb3
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2004
              Good use of alternate material and sources for armor. However I
              would not think that Lexan would be able to hold up to the abuse.
              Please drop a line on how the Lexan holds up. Also, roofing nails
              are pretty close to what was known as arming nails in period.

              William

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "john" <mk2jersey@y...> wrote:
              > I, like yourself am fairly new. About 2 years now. I have gotten
              > involved with fighting and I have made most of my own armor. I got
              > information on the net and from others in my group. One of the
              > easiest, yet time consuming was making a coat of plates. I figured
              > it would be lighter if I made it out of Lexan. I got the Lexan
              from
              > the local glass shop for $10.00. I bought his scrap. Just went
              > through the scrap pile and picked the biggest pieces. I then
              bought
              > some canvas and made the vest using the plates that I cut. Lexan
              > cuts with a jig saw or hacksaw. I attached them to the canvas with
              > roofing nails that I cut into rivets.
              >
              > Other ideas are out there. There may be people like myself that
              have
              > a lot of time on their hands and will make armor for others in
              their
              > group for little profit.
              >
              > Galfrid
            • Michelle
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 30 1:47 PM
                does anyone know somewhere where i can get a inexpencive but quality
                helm? i am on a college budget but i want to do heavy combat
                fighting.
                ~Judith
              • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 31 7:42 PM
                  On Monday 30 August 2004 16:47, Michelle wrote:
                  > does anyone know somewhere where i can get a inexpencive but quality
                  > helm? i am on a college budget but i want to do heavy combat
                  > fighting.

                  Anyone in your shire making armor, and could teach you? The materials to
                  make basic armor tend to be dirt cheap. If you can borrow the tools, and
                  get the tutelage, you can have a lot of fun and save yourself a bundle.
                  It's not as hard to do as you might think.

                  keys fesswise reversed sable.

                • pam
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
                    Dear Dylan,
                    I am not a fighter but my boyfriend was for many years and is
                    getting back into armor for this upcoming Estrella War. I asked him
                    to reply to your request for armor information. This is what he had
                    to say:

                    Greetings Dylan;

                    It's not patriotism that makes me avoid buying the inexpensive
                    foreign made armor. If I am going to entrust my life to my armor, I
                    want to make sure that its been made for how I'm going to use it.
                    Chances are the folks in Pakistan, or other places, who are knocking
                    together bits of wall hanger armor made from metals of uncertain
                    history, have never heard of the SCA. Relatively few people in the
                    world are even aware that we engage in full speed, full contact
                    martial arts with clubs, often in groups of 1000 or more people at a
                    time.

                    There is good armor, and there is cheap armor. In the past 20
                    years, I have yet to find good, cheap armor. Good armor costs
                    either time or money. It's up to you which you want to invest. If
                    you have the time, you can build your own. Talk to the other
                    fighters in your area, and see who is building their own armor and
                    ask them for help. Many of them will be more than willing to teach
                    you how to make your own. If you keep track of the time and
                    materials you use to make each piece of armor, and multiply your
                    time by what you consider a living wage, you will probably be
                    surprised by what that armor is worth.

                    If you have more money than time, and some people actually do, you
                    can buy what you need. Not all armorers have Internet web sites
                    either. Probably your best source of information will again be
                    other fighters in your area. Visit the local fighter practice and
                    ask them about their armor, especially if you see something you
                    like. You will probably find one or more people who make armor
                    locally for sale. Whether your armorer is on-line or local, make
                    sure you find out what kind of a reputation he has. I know of a few
                    who can work wonders with metal, but have a hard time meeting
                    production schedules. The local fighters will know and will let you
                    know as well, who can be depended on and who can't. If at all
                    possible, meet your armorer.

                    If you can at all manage it, go to a war, and visit the merchants
                    there. The bigger the war, the better. The competition insures the
                    best prices, and you can actually see and handle the merchandise.
                    You can also talk to the merchants about their products, and about
                    their competition. It's amazing what you can learn.

                    In the last few weeks I have been dealing with Windrose Armoury

                    www.windrosearmoury.com

                    for a new helmet, pauldrons, and gorget. I have been quite pleased
                    with their products and service. They are not cheap, but their
                    quality is outstanding.

                    Good luck to you.
                    Benedictimus,
                    Father Michael (Eskalya))