RE: [SCA Newcomers] Re: armor

  • Doug Gintaras
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2004
      I am currently using premade elbows, gauntlets, and demi-gauntlets that were
      of the "Large" size category from a website and they work and fit fine.
      Ideally, you want to be able to be there when the armor is made, but that is
      unlikely for most, therefore, the size categories tend to work well. Always,
      contact the armorer before ordering so that you can get information for
      current sizes.

      Also, walk up to people and ask them if you can try on their armor. This
      gives you an idea of what different armor is like, 'cause wearing a
      breastplate is a lot different than wearing lamellar. Ask as many people as
      you can. You also save money this way by not buying something you are not
      happy with.

      ~Gintaras, C.R.C.~
      Midrealm
      Midlands
      Ravenslake

      >From: merean <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
      >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Re: armor
      >Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 16:21:56 -0000
      >
      >--- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "sir_james_w" <sir_james_w@h...>
      >wrote:
      >
      > > My problem is that I need armor, but I'm told that you can't
      > > buy armor in sizes like sm, md, lg and expect it to fit right. I
      >need
      > > to know if this is true, because right now I can not afford to pay
      > > for custom fitted armor. If the case is otherwise, then could
      >anyone
      > > tell me of a good distributer that I can order from. If my
      >location
      > > is of importance then I am in the kingdom of Ansteorra, on the
      >border
      > > of Brahd Leigh...spelling?....and Steppes I believe.
      >
      >All fighters out there correct me if I'm wrong, but basically that is
      >true. Just as each person's body is shaped differently in different
      >places, for armor to protect you properly it has to be fitted to
      >you. HOWEVER, you can get premade armor and then adjust it, or make
      >armor from scratch. Yes, I know, sounds like a daunting task, but
      >the idea has more merit than just making armor. You get new armor
      >and meet, talk, and learn things with other people. Talk to some of
      >the fighters in your area about your predicament. Sometimes there is
      >loaner gear that you can borrow to see what works for you and what
      >doesn't.
      >
      >Being in the Elfsea area (Tarrant County) west of the Steppes area, I
      >am fairly certain that there is at least loaner gear you can use to
      >start learning fighting techniques.
      >
      >I hope that helps some.
      >
      >Myrun in kyrra

      What are the 5 hot job markets for 2004? Click here to find out.
      http://msn.careerbuilder.com/Custom/MSN/CareerAdvice/WPI_WhereWillWeFindJobsIn2004.htm?siteid=CBMSN3006&sc_extcmp=JS_wi08_dec03_hotmail1