RE: [SCA Newcomers] armor

  • Doug Gintaras
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2004
      Greetings,

      Actually, there are a lot of armorers out there making affordable armor that
      will sell you stuff that fits to your measurements. I recommend this link
      for any comparison shopping when it comes to armor:
      http://www.therionarms.com/links.shtml

      In addition, if you can purchase kydex, which is a type of plastic, you can
      use it to form your own armor. All you do is cut it out how you want it, put
      it in an oven for 10 minutes at 200 degrees, take it out and conform it to
      your body. Be sure to wear gloves and about two layers of thick clothing to
      protect you from the heat and to help account for padding. In about 30
      seconds the plastic is hard like armor.

      Finally, there is a very good source for armoring at www.armourarchive.org.

      I'm curious, does your group not have loaner armor to spare? I know that
      when I first started out, I used a lot of old hockey and lacrosse equipment.
      It's not period, but it gets you started and out on the field, while you
      work on getting your "good" stuff.

      Let me know if you have any other questions,

      ~Gintaras, C.R.C.~
      Midrealm
      Midlands
      Ravenslake - knight's marshal

      >From: "sir_james_w" <sir_james_w@...>
      >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [SCA Newcomers] armor
      >Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 10:29:32 -0000
      >
      > Pardon the e-mail name, for I was using that before I knew about
      >the SCA, I feel it is inapropriate seeing as how I haven't earned
      >that title, and will soon have an address that I can use in the sca.
      >I am fairly new to the sca. I have been to about 4 or 5 events, so
      >I'm starting to feel comfortable, but still feel out of place. I
      >want to be more active in the sca and join the fighters in the local
      >group. My problem is that I need armor, but I'm told that you can't
      >buy armor in sizes like sm, md, lg and expect it to fit right. I need
      >to know if this is true, because right now I can not afford to pay
      >for custom fitted armor. If the case is otherwise, then could anyone
      >tell me of a good distributer that I can order from. If my location
      >is of importance then I am in the kingdom of Ansteorra, on the border
      >of Brahd Leigh...spelling?....and Steppes I believe.

    • ankashai
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2004
        Well this is as good a post as any for my debut! =D
        Quick backround: I'm a not-quite-new Scadian who has been doing
        light weapons fighting for about 3-4 months now, and decided to try
        heavy weapons. I've never actually fought ( beyond someone putting a
        helm on me and whacking me upside the head to get a feel for being
        whacked, and a simple unarmored drill against an experianced
        fighter), but I'm looking for ways to piece together armour from
        loner gear ect. The fact that I'm a good head smaller than just about
        anyone else in my barony, and also female makes finding armour that
        fits a little difficult.

        My younger brother plays lacrosse, and is currently getting a new
        set of lacrosse pads. I'd heard somewhere that lacrosse gear can work
        as quick-and-dirty armor, so I'm trying to convince him to give me
        the old set to use.

        The question is, how well does lacrosse gear protect? Assuming I
        could disguise it somehow ( enter the seamstress, with praises
        towards tunics and tabards! ), is it considered field-legal?

        Thanks, and any other info you can offer on things I may have
        laying around being used as armour would be great. We're a fairly
        active family, and any common sporting gear can probably be found
        *somewhere* in my house.

        YIS,
        Hawke

        > I'm curious, does your group not have loaner armor to spare? I know
        that
        > when I first started out, I used a lot of old hockey and lacrosse
        equipment.
        > It's not period, but it gets you started and out on the field,
        while you
        > work on getting your "good" stuff.
        >
        > Let me know if you have any other questions,
        >
        > ~Gintaras, C.R.C.~
        > Midrealm
        > Midlands
        > Ravenslake - knight's marshal
        >

        > >From: "sir_james_w" <sir_james_w@h...>
        > >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: [SCA Newcomers] armor
        > >Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 10:29:32 -0000
        > >
        > > Pardon the e-mail name, for I was using that before I knew
        about
        > >the SCA, I feel it is inapropriate seeing as how I haven't earned
        > >that title, and will soon have an address that I can use in the
        sca.
        > >I am fairly new to the sca. I have been to about 4 or 5 events, so
        > >I'm starting to feel comfortable, but still feel out of place. I
        > >want to be more active in the sca and join the fighters in the
        local
        > >group. My problem is that I need armor, but I'm told that you
        can't
        > >buy armor in sizes like sm, md, lg and expect it to fit right. I
        need
        > >to know if this is true, because right now I can not afford to pay
        > >for custom fitted armor. If the case is otherwise, then could
        anyone
        > >tell me of a good distributer that I can order from. If my
        location
        > >is of importance then I am in the kingdom of Ansteorra, on the
        border
        > >of Brahd Leigh...spelling?....and Steppes I believe.

        > Let the new MSN Premium Internet Software make the most of your
        high-speed
        > experience. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us&page=byoa/prem&ST=1
      • Doug Petroshius
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2004