Re: armor

  • merean
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3 8:21 AM
      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "sir_james_w" <sir_james_w@h...>
      wrote:

      > My problem is that I need armor, but I'm told that you can't
      > buy armor in sizes like sm, md, lg and expect it to fit right. I
      need
      > to know if this is true, because right now I can not afford to pay
      > for custom fitted armor. If the case is otherwise, then could
      anyone
      > tell me of a good distributer that I can order from. If my
      location
      > is of importance then I am in the kingdom of Ansteorra, on the
      border
      > of Brahd Leigh...spelling?....and Steppes I believe.

      All fighters out there correct me if I'm wrong, but basically that is
      true. Just as each person's body is shaped differently in different
      places, for armor to protect you properly it has to be fitted to
      you. HOWEVER, you can get premade armor and then adjust it, or make
      armor from scratch. Yes, I know, sounds like a daunting task, but
      the idea has more merit than just making armor. You get new armor
      and meet, talk, and learn things with other people. Talk to some of
      the fighters in your area about your predicament. Sometimes there is
      loaner gear that you can borrow to see what works for you and what
      doesn't.

      Being in the Elfsea area (Tarrant County) west of the Steppes area, I
      am fairly certain that there is at least loaner gear you can use to
      start learning fighting techniques.

      I hope that helps some.

      Myrun in kyrra
    • Muirgheal Broccin
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3 12:08 PM
        I am currently getting together my first set of armor. (Our groups does not
        have loaner armor either). What I have found is that the SCA legal minimum
        armor if you purchase it from an armorer will set you back at least $200 -
        $250. That will just get you minimum protection (helm, gorget, elbows,
        knees, kidney, and hands). However fighting with just this on is not
        necessarily a wise idea unless you REALLY like bruises. : ) My solution to
        getting in armor is to purchase the helm and gorget ($110 for both at
        www.ashcroftbaker.com.) and make the rest. I am working with a local fighter
        who is helping me to make a set of pickle barrel armor. I provide the
        gambeson, helm, and gorget and he is going to help build the rest. - Granted
        it is definitely not period, but with a tabard, or a surcote I can make it
        look a whole lot better. For legs I am making the garden hose legs which are
        popular in my area. The whole set will still probably cost about $200 but
        will provide far greater protection than the SCA minimum that I can get from
        a commercial armorer. Another option is to watch ebay for some deals. (just
        search SCA Armour). You can often find armourers who will provide the blanks
        for a coat of plates or lamellar, you then just have to string them
        together.

        Also there are more ways than just fighting to help find your place in the
        SCA. Attend events, ask the event staff if they need waterbearers, servers
        for feast anything. Ask your knight's marshal if he needs help running the
        list. Join a scribal guild or an archery group. See what is around your area
        and explore everything while you are still getting your armor together.
        You'll find there is a whole other side to the SCA that you never knew
        about.

        Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

        YIS
        Muirgheal inghean Broccin
        Marche of Gwyntarian, Midrealm (NE Ohio)

        I have been to about 4 or 5 events, so
      • athterath@HotPOP.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 3 4:18 PM
          sir_james_w wrote:
          >I need armor, but I'm told that you can't buy armor in sizes like sm, md, lg and expect it to fit right.. . .I am in the kingdom of Ansteorra, on the border of Brahd Leigh. . .and Steppes I believe.

          You're fortunate, in that our Stellar Kingdom is rich with individuals. . .well, I don't want to say "obsessed". . .let's just say, "strongly interested in" all things having to do with armed combat. Someone in one of the groups close to you is bound to be able to help you out with this.

          Speak to the Knight Marshall (that would be the individual responsible for orchestrating and overseeing local combat and combat training) of either. They should be able to offer you loaner armour for now, and to help you choose and/or make armour that will fit your budget, persona, and needs, as well as your body, for the long term (or to point you to someone local who can). Brad Leah's website is at <http://brad-leah.ansteorra.org/>, and their Knight Marshall can be reached by e-mail at <mailto:cwright@...>. Steppes' website is at <http://www.steppes.org>; their Knight Marshall can be reached at <mailto:morganbuchanan@...>.

          In the meantime, you might want to check out the Armour Archive <http://www.armourarchive.org/> or the "Period and SCA Combat" section of Stefan's Florilegium <http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/idxcombat.html>, or do a search for the terms "how to", "make", "SCA", and "armour" and read any of the do-it-yourself pages that return, to begin to get a feel for the options.

          Good luck, and welcome.

          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          <mailto:Athterath@...>
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Ansteorra
        • Garrett
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3 10:45 PM
            You might try the following Usergroup.

            Rawmetal is a group for newbie SCA fighters. Lots of good questions
            and answers about making armor and different fighting methods. I
            find the group helpful.

            The best advice for a new fighter is to ask around at your local
            fighter practice. They can tell you good areas to either get new
            armor or the supplies to make armor. Also the local guys can help
            make it too.

            I was lucky, when I started fighter, there was one fighter who wanted
            to sell his brig and make a new one. I was there at the right time
            to buy his old one. I still use that one. No matter how much of
            the armor you decide to make and how much to buy, I would suggest
            that you buy your helmet. Don;t try to make one unless you have a
            lot of metal working under your belt. The other parts of the armor
            can be made fairly easily.

            wrote:
            > Pardon the e-mail name, for I was using that before I knew
            about
            > the SCA, I feel it is inapropriate seeing as how I haven't earned
            > that title, and will soon have an address that I can use in the
            sca.
            > I am fairly new to the sca. I have been to about 4 or 5 events, so
            > I'm starting to feel comfortable, but still feel out of place. I
            > want to be more active in the sca and join the fighters in the
            local
            > group. My problem is that I need armor, but I'm told that you
            can't
            > buy armor in sizes like sm, md, lg and expect it to fit right. I
            need
            > to know if this is true, because right now I can not afford to pay
            > for custom fitted armor. If the case is otherwise, then could
            anyone
            > tell me of a good distributer that I can order from. If my
            location
            > is of importance then I am in the kingdom of Ansteorra, on the
            border
            > of Brahd Leigh...spelling?....and Steppes I believe.
          • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 4 6:26 AM
              On Tuesday 03 February 2004 05:29, sir_james_w wrote:
              > Pardon the e-mail name, for I was using that before I knew about
              > the SCA, I feel it is inapropriate seeing as how I haven't earned
              > that title, and will soon have an address that I can use in the sca.

              [shrug] No worries. :-)

              >[...] My problem is that I need armor, but I'm told that you can't
              > buy armor in sizes like sm, md, lg and expect it to fit right. I need
              > to know if this is true, because right now I can not afford to pay
              > for custom fitted armor.

              Others have given some great advice, but I wanted to add a couple of
              things:

              1. Your first set of armor will *not* be your last set. Armor is a project
              that is never done, because you will continue to fine-tune it, item by
              item, and modify/replace things as you gain experience as a fighter.

              2. Off-the-rack may not work well for a Crown Tourney contender, but you
              can get away with it while learning. The only thing that really has
              to be carefully fitted is your helm, but you will custom-pad your own
              helm even if you purchase it from an armourer, since they come un-
              padded. Take the advice that someone else posted, and see if you can
              borrow armor to see what you like and dislike before you purchase
              anything. Loaner armor just has to fit well enough to be safe, not
              necessarily perfectly. Ask your local Marshal to check it out.

              3. Making armor is, in my opinion, even more fun than fighting! You will
              be amazed at what you can make yourself, quite inexpensively, with
              guidance from an experienced person. Steel is very cheap; when you
              buy armor, you are paying for labor, not for materials, unless you
              want something really exotic.

              4. Don't worry too much about how your armor looks, especially when you
              are new. Armor has a way of getting the crap pounded out of it on
              the battlefield (imagine that!), so worry more about safety and comfort
              than about looks at first. Over time, you'll learn how to make armor
              that looks great and protects well.

              Justin
              Hoping we get the chance to whack each other with sticks some day!

              fesswise reversed sable.

            • john
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 15 3:54 PM
                I, like yourself am fairly new. About 2 years now. I have gotten
                involved with fighting and I have made most of my own armor. I got
                information on the net and from others in my group. One of the
                easiest, yet time consuming was making a coat of plates. I figured
                it would be lighter if I made it out of Lexan. I got the Lexan from
                the local glass shop for $10.00. I bought his scrap. Just went
                through the scrap pile and picked the biggest pieces. I then bought
                some canvas and made the vest using the plates that I cut. Lexan
                cuts with a jig saw or hacksaw. I attached them to the canvas with
                roofing nails that I cut into rivets.

                Other ideas are out there. There may be people like myself that have
                a lot of time on their hands and will make armor for others in their
                group for little profit.

                Galfrid

                wrote:
                > Pardon the e-mail name, for I was using that before I knew
                about
                > the SCA, I feel it is inapropriate seeing as how I haven't earned
                > that title, and will soon have an address that I can use in the
                sca.
                > I am fairly new to the sca. I have been to about 4 or 5 events, so
                > I'm starting to feel comfortable, but still feel out of place. I
                > want to be more active in the sca and join the fighters in the
                local
                > group. My problem is that I need armor, but I'm told that you
                can't
                > buy armor in sizes like sm, md, lg and expect it to fit right. I
                need
                > to know if this is true, because right now I can not afford to pay
                > for custom fitted armor. If the case is otherwise, then could
                anyone
                > tell me of a good distributer that I can order from. If my
                location
                > is of importance then I am in the kingdom of Ansteorra, on the
                border
                > of Brahd Leigh...spelling?....and Steppes I believe.
              • chemistbb3
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 1, 2004
                  Good use of alternate material and sources for armor. However I
                  would not think that Lexan would be able to hold up to the abuse.
                  Please drop a line on how the Lexan holds up. Also, roofing nails
                  are pretty close to what was known as arming nails in period.

                  William

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "john" <mk2jersey@y...> wrote:
                  > I, like yourself am fairly new. About 2 years now. I have gotten
                  > involved with fighting and I have made most of my own armor. I got
                  > information on the net and from others in my group. One of the
                  > easiest, yet time consuming was making a coat of plates. I figured
                  > it would be lighter if I made it out of Lexan. I got the Lexan
                  from
                  > the local glass shop for $10.00. I bought his scrap. Just went
                  > through the scrap pile and picked the biggest pieces. I then
                  bought
                  > some canvas and made the vest using the plates that I cut. Lexan
                  > cuts with a jig saw or hacksaw. I attached them to the canvas with
                  > roofing nails that I cut into rivets.
                  >
                  > Other ideas are out there. There may be people like myself that
                  have
                  > a lot of time on their hands and will make armor for others in
                  their
                  > group for little profit.
                  >
                  > Galfrid
                • Michelle
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 30, 2004
                    does anyone know somewhere where i can get a inexpencive but quality
                    helm? i am on a college budget but i want to do heavy combat
                    fighting.
                    ~Judith
                  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 31, 2004
                      On Monday 30 August 2004 16:47, Michelle wrote:
                      > does anyone know somewhere where i can get a inexpencive but quality
                      > helm? i am on a college budget but i want to do heavy combat
                      > fighting.

                      Anyone in your shire making armor, and could teach you? The materials to
                      make basic armor tend to be dirt cheap. If you can borrow the tools, and
                      get the tutelage, you can have a lot of fun and save yourself a bundle.
                      It's not as hard to do as you might think.

                      keys fesswise reversed sable.

                    • pam
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 2 10:06 PM
                        Dear Dylan,
                        I am not a fighter but my boyfriend was for many years and is
                        getting back into armor for this upcoming Estrella War. I asked him
                        to reply to your request for armor information. This is what he had
                        to say:

                        Greetings Dylan;

                        It's not patriotism that makes me avoid buying the inexpensive
                        foreign made armor. If I am going to entrust my life to my armor, I
                        want to make sure that its been made for how I'm going to use it.
                        Chances are the folks in Pakistan, or other places, who are knocking
                        together bits of wall hanger armor made from metals of uncertain
                        history, have never heard of the SCA. Relatively few people in the
                        world are even aware that we engage in full speed, full contact
                        martial arts with clubs, often in groups of 1000 or more people at a
                        time.

                        There is good armor, and there is cheap armor. In the past 20
                        years, I have yet to find good, cheap armor. Good armor costs
                        either time or money. It's up to you which you want to invest. If
                        you have the time, you can build your own. Talk to the other
                        fighters in your area, and see who is building their own armor and
                        ask them for help. Many of them will be more than willing to teach
                        you how to make your own. If you keep track of the time and
                        materials you use to make each piece of armor, and multiply your
                        time by what you consider a living wage, you will probably be
                        surprised by what that armor is worth.

                        If you have more money than time, and some people actually do, you
                        can buy what you need. Not all armorers have Internet web sites
                        either. Probably your best source of information will again be
                        other fighters in your area. Visit the local fighter practice and
                        ask them about their armor, especially if you see something you
                        like. You will probably find one or more people who make armor
                        locally for sale. Whether your armorer is on-line or local, make
                        sure you find out what kind of a reputation he has. I know of a few
                        who can work wonders with metal, but have a hard time meeting
                        production schedules. The local fighters will know and will let you
                        know as well, who can be depended on and who can't. If at all
                        possible, meet your armorer.

                        If you can at all manage it, go to a war, and visit the merchants
                        there. The bigger the war, the better. The competition insures the
                        best prices, and you can actually see and handle the merchandise.
                        You can also talk to the merchants about their products, and about
                        their competition. It's amazing what you can learn.

                        In the last few weeks I have been dealing with Windrose Armoury

                        www.windrosearmoury.com

                        for a new helmet, pauldrons, and gorget. I have been quite pleased
                        with their products and service. They are not cheap, but their
                        quality is outstanding.

                        Good luck to you.
                        Benedictimus,
                        Father Michael (Eskalya))