armor

  • sir_james_w
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2004
      Pardon the e-mail name, for I was using that before I knew about
      the SCA, I feel it is inapropriate seeing as how I haven't earned
      that title, and will soon have an address that I can use in the sca.
      I am fairly new to the sca. I have been to about 4 or 5 events, so
      I'm starting to feel comfortable, but still feel out of place. I
      want to be more active in the sca and join the fighters in the local
      group. My problem is that I need armor, but I'm told that you can't
      buy armor in sizes like sm, md, lg and expect it to fit right. I need
      to know if this is true, because right now I can not afford to pay
      for custom fitted armor. If the case is otherwise, then could anyone
      tell me of a good distributer that I can order from. If my location
      is of importance then I am in the kingdom of Ansteorra, on the border
      of Brahd Leigh...spelling?....and Steppes I believe.
    • merean
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3, 2004
        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "sir_james_w" <sir_james_w@h...>
        wrote:

        > My problem is that I need armor, but I'm told that you can't
        > buy armor in sizes like sm, md, lg and expect it to fit right. I
        need
        > to know if this is true, because right now I can not afford to pay
        > for custom fitted armor. If the case is otherwise, then could
        anyone
        > tell me of a good distributer that I can order from. If my
        location
        > is of importance then I am in the kingdom of Ansteorra, on the
        border
        > of Brahd Leigh...spelling?....and Steppes I believe.

        All fighters out there correct me if I'm wrong, but basically that is
        true. Just as each person's body is shaped differently in different
        places, for armor to protect you properly it has to be fitted to
        you. HOWEVER, you can get premade armor and then adjust it, or make
        armor from scratch. Yes, I know, sounds like a daunting task, but
        the idea has more merit than just making armor. You get new armor
        and meet, talk, and learn things with other people. Talk to some of
        the fighters in your area about your predicament. Sometimes there is
        loaner gear that you can borrow to see what works for you and what
        doesn't.

        Being in the Elfsea area (Tarrant County) west of the Steppes area, I
        am fairly certain that there is at least loaner gear you can use to
        start learning fighting techniques.

        I hope that helps some.

        Myrun in kyrra
      • Muirgheal Broccin
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 3, 2004
          I am currently getting together my first set of armor. (Our groups does not
          have loaner armor either). What I have found is that the SCA legal minimum
          armor if you purchase it from an armorer will set you back at least $200 -
          $250. That will just get you minimum protection (helm, gorget, elbows,
          knees, kidney, and hands). However fighting with just this on is not
          necessarily a wise idea unless you REALLY like bruises. : ) My solution to
          getting in armor is to purchase the helm and gorget ($110 for both at
          www.ashcroftbaker.com.) and make the rest. I am working with a local fighter
          who is helping me to make a set of pickle barrel armor. I provide the
          gambeson, helm, and gorget and he is going to help build the rest. - Granted
          it is definitely not period, but with a tabard, or a surcote I can make it
          look a whole lot better. For legs I am making the garden hose legs which are
          popular in my area. The whole set will still probably cost about $200 but
          will provide far greater protection than the SCA minimum that I can get from
          a commercial armorer. Another option is to watch ebay for some deals. (just
          search SCA Armour). You can often find armourers who will provide the blanks
          for a coat of plates or lamellar, you then just have to string them
          together.

          Also there are more ways than just fighting to help find your place in the
          SCA. Attend events, ask the event staff if they need waterbearers, servers
          for feast anything. Ask your knight's marshal if he needs help running the
          list. Join a scribal guild or an archery group. See what is around your area
          and explore everything while you are still getting your armor together.
          You'll find there is a whole other side to the SCA that you never knew
          about.

          Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

          YIS
          Muirgheal inghean Broccin
          Marche of Gwyntarian, Midrealm (NE Ohio)

        • athterath@HotPOP.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3, 2004
            sir_james_w wrote:
            >I need armor, but I'm told that you can't buy armor in sizes like sm, md, lg and expect it to fit right.. . .I am in the kingdom of Ansteorra, on the border of Brahd Leigh. . .and Steppes I believe.

            You're fortunate, in that our Stellar Kingdom is rich with individuals. . .well, I don't want to say "obsessed". . .let's just say, "strongly interested in" all things having to do with armed combat. Someone in one of the groups close to you is bound to be able to help you out with this.

            Speak to the Knight Marshall (that would be the individual responsible for orchestrating and overseeing local combat and combat training) of either. They should be able to offer you loaner armour for now, and to help you choose and/or make armour that will fit your budget, persona, and needs, as well as your body, for the long term (or to point you to someone local who can). Brad Leah's website is at <http://brad-leah.ansteorra.org/>, and their Knight Marshall can be reached by e-mail at <mailto:cwright@...>. Steppes' website is at <http://www.steppes.org>; their Knight Marshall can be reached at <mailto:morganbuchanan@...>.

            In the meantime, you might want to check out the Armour Archive <http://www.armourarchive.org/> or the "Period and SCA Combat" section of Stefan's Florilegium <http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMBAT/idxcombat.html>, or do a search for the terms "how to", "make", "SCA", and "armour" and read any of the do-it-yourself pages that return, to begin to get a feel for the options.

            Good luck, and welcome.

            Coblaith Mhuimhneach
            <mailto:Athterath@...>
            Barony of Bryn Gwlad
            Ansteorra
          • Garrett
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3, 2004
              You might try the following Usergroup.

              Rawmetal is a group for newbie SCA fighters. Lots of good questions
              and answers about making armor and different fighting methods. I
              find the group helpful.

              The best advice for a new fighter is to ask around at your local
              fighter practice. They can tell you good areas to either get new
              armor or the supplies to make armor. Also the local guys can help
              make it too.

              I was lucky, when I started fighter, there was one fighter who wanted
              to sell his brig and make a new one. I was there at the right time
              to buy his old one. I still use that one. No matter how much of
              the armor you decide to make and how much to buy, I would suggest
              that you buy your helmet. Don;t try to make one unless you have a
              lot of metal working under your belt. The other parts of the armor
              can be made fairly easily.

              wrote:
              > Pardon the e-mail name, for I was using that before I knew
              about
              > the SCA, I feel it is inapropriate seeing as how I haven't earned
              > that title, and will soon have an address that I can use in the
              sca.
              > I am fairly new to the sca. I have been to about 4 or 5 events, so
              > I'm starting to feel comfortable, but still feel out of place. I
              > want to be more active in the sca and join the fighters in the
              local
              > group. My problem is that I need armor, but I'm told that you
              can't
              > buy armor in sizes like sm, md, lg and expect it to fit right. I
              need
              > to know if this is true, because right now I can not afford to pay
              > for custom fitted armor. If the case is otherwise, then could
              anyone
              > tell me of a good distributer that I can order from. If my
              location
              > is of importance then I am in the kingdom of Ansteorra, on the
              border
              > of Brahd Leigh...spelling?....and Steppes I believe.
            • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 4, 2004
                On Tuesday 03 February 2004 05:29, sir_james_w wrote:
                > Pardon the e-mail name, for I was using that before I knew about
                > the SCA, I feel it is inapropriate seeing as how I haven't earned
                > that title, and will soon have an address that I can use in the sca.

                [shrug] No worries. :-)

                >[...] My problem is that I need armor, but I'm told that you can't
                > buy armor in sizes like sm, md, lg and expect it to fit right. I need
                > to know if this is true, because right now I can not afford to pay
                > for custom fitted armor.

                Others have given some great advice, but I wanted to add a couple of
                things:

                1. Your first set of armor will *not* be your last set. Armor is a project
                that is never done, because you will continue to fine-tune it, item by
                item, and modify/replace things as you gain experience as a fighter.

                2. Off-the-rack may not work well for a Crown Tourney contender, but you
                can get away with it while learning. The only thing that really has
                to be carefully fitted is your helm, but you will custom-pad your own
                helm even if you purchase it from an armourer, since they come un-
                padded. Take the advice that someone else posted, and see if you can
                borrow armor to see what you like and dislike before you purchase
                anything. Loaner armor just has to fit well enough to be safe, not
                necessarily perfectly. Ask your local Marshal to check it out.

                3. Making armor is, in my opinion, even more fun than fighting! You will
                be amazed at what you can make yourself, quite inexpensively, with
                guidance from an experienced person. Steel is very cheap; when you
                buy armor, you are paying for labor, not for materials, unless you
                want something really exotic.

                4. Don't worry too much about how your armor looks, especially when you
                are new. Armor has a way of getting the crap pounded out of it on
                the battlefield (imagine that!), so worry more about safety and comfort
                than about looks at first. Over time, you'll learn how to make armor
                that looks great and protects well.

                Justin
                Hoping we get the chance to whack each other with sticks some day!

                fesswise reversed sable.

              • john
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 15, 2004
                  I, like yourself am fairly new. About 2 years now. I have gotten
                  involved with fighting and I have made most of my own armor. I got
                  information on the net and from others in my group. One of the
                  easiest, yet time consuming was making a coat of plates. I figured
                  it would be lighter if I made it out of Lexan. I got the Lexan from
                  the local glass shop for $10.00. I bought his scrap. Just went
                  through the scrap pile and picked the biggest pieces. I then bought
                  some canvas and made the vest using the plates that I cut. Lexan
                  cuts with a jig saw or hacksaw. I attached them to the canvas with
                  roofing nails that I cut into rivets.

                  Other ideas are out there. There may be people like myself that have
                  a lot of time on their hands and will make armor for others in their
                  group for little profit.

                  Galfrid

                  wrote:
                  > Pardon the e-mail name, for I was using that before I knew
                  about
                  > the SCA, I feel it is inapropriate seeing as how I haven't earned
                  > that title, and will soon have an address that I can use in the
                  sca.
                  > I am fairly new to the sca. I have been to about 4 or 5 events, so
                  > I'm starting to feel comfortable, but still feel out of place. I
                  > want to be more active in the sca and join the fighters in the
                  local
                  > group. My problem is that I need armor, but I'm told that you
                  can't
                  > buy armor in sizes like sm, md, lg and expect it to fit right. I
                  need
                  > to know if this is true, because right now I can not afford to pay
                  > for custom fitted armor. If the case is otherwise, then could
                  anyone
                  > tell me of a good distributer that I can order from. If my
                  location
                  > is of importance then I am in the kingdom of Ansteorra, on the
                  border
                  > of Brahd Leigh...spelling?....and Steppes I believe.
                • chemistbb3
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 1, 2004
                    Good use of alternate material and sources for armor. However I
                    would not think that Lexan would be able to hold up to the abuse.
                    Please drop a line on how the Lexan holds up. Also, roofing nails
                    are pretty close to what was known as arming nails in period.

                    William

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "john" <mk2jersey@y...> wrote:
                    > I, like yourself am fairly new. About 2 years now. I have gotten
                    > involved with fighting and I have made most of my own armor. I got
                    > information on the net and from others in my group. One of the
                    > easiest, yet time consuming was making a coat of plates. I figured
                    > it would be lighter if I made it out of Lexan. I got the Lexan
                    from
                    > the local glass shop for $10.00. I bought his scrap. Just went
                    > through the scrap pile and picked the biggest pieces. I then
                    bought
                    > some canvas and made the vest using the plates that I cut. Lexan
                    > cuts with a jig saw or hacksaw. I attached them to the canvas with
                    > roofing nails that I cut into rivets.
                    >
                    > Other ideas are out there. There may be people like myself that
                    have
                    > a lot of time on their hands and will make armor for others in
                    their
                    > group for little profit.
                    >
                    > Galfrid
                  • Michelle
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 30 1:47 PM
                      does anyone know somewhere where i can get a inexpencive but quality
                      helm? i am on a college budget but i want to do heavy combat
                      fighting.
                      ~Judith
                    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 31 7:42 PM
                        On Monday 30 August 2004 16:47, Michelle wrote:
                        > does anyone know somewhere where i can get a inexpencive but quality
                        > helm? i am on a college budget but i want to do heavy combat
                        > fighting.

                        Anyone in your shire making armor, and could teach you? The materials to
                        make basic armor tend to be dirt cheap. If you can borrow the tools, and
                        get the tutelage, you can have a lot of fun and save yourself a bundle.
                        It's not as hard to do as you might think.

                        keys fesswise reversed sable.

                      • pam
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 2, 2007
                          Dear Dylan,
                          I am not a fighter but my boyfriend was for many years and is
                          getting back into armor for this upcoming Estrella War. I asked him
                          to reply to your request for armor information. This is what he had
                          to say:

                          Greetings Dylan;

                          It's not patriotism that makes me avoid buying the inexpensive
                          foreign made armor. If I am going to entrust my life to my armor, I
                          want to make sure that its been made for how I'm going to use it.
                          Chances are the folks in Pakistan, or other places, who are knocking
                          together bits of wall hanger armor made from metals of uncertain
                          history, have never heard of the SCA. Relatively few people in the
                          world are even aware that we engage in full speed, full contact
                          martial arts with clubs, often in groups of 1000 or more people at a
                          time.

                          There is good armor, and there is cheap armor. In the past 20
                          years, I have yet to find good, cheap armor. Good armor costs
                          either time or money. It's up to you which you want to invest. If
                          you have the time, you can build your own. Talk to the other
                          fighters in your area, and see who is building their own armor and
                          ask them for help. Many of them will be more than willing to teach
                          you how to make your own. If you keep track of the time and
                          materials you use to make each piece of armor, and multiply your
                          time by what you consider a living wage, you will probably be
                          surprised by what that armor is worth.

                          If you have more money than time, and some people actually do, you
                          can buy what you need. Not all armorers have Internet web sites
                          either. Probably your best source of information will again be
                          other fighters in your area. Visit the local fighter practice and
                          ask them about their armor, especially if you see something you
                          like. You will probably find one or more people who make armor
                          locally for sale. Whether your armorer is on-line or local, make
                          sure you find out what kind of a reputation he has. I know of a few
                          who can work wonders with metal, but have a hard time meeting
                          production schedules. The local fighters will know and will let you
                          know as well, who can be depended on and who can't. If at all
                          possible, meet your armorer.

                          If you can at all manage it, go to a war, and visit the merchants
                          there. The bigger the war, the better. The competition insures the
                          best prices, and you can actually see and handle the merchandise.
                          You can also talk to the merchants about their products, and about
                          their competition. It's amazing what you can learn.

                          In the last few weeks I have been dealing with Windrose Armoury

                          www.windrosearmoury.com

                          for a new helmet, pauldrons, and gorget. I have been quite pleased
                          with their products and service. They are not cheap, but their
                          quality is outstanding.

                          Good luck to you.
                          Benedictimus,
                          Father Michael (Eskalya))