Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: New Canton or Shire?

  • Tara Christensen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2004
      thank you, bravo & well said.
      i appreciate it greatly!
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Mark Bush (personal account)
      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 2:01 PM
      Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Re: New Canton or Shire?

      I am from a Barony that is over 200 miles east to west, and about 80 miles
      north to south. The activities of the barony were centered about 2 hours
      driving time away. Being too far for me to drive regularly for meetings,
      practices and events, I started a household.

      When I decided to organize a group, I contacted the Seneschal for the Barony
      and asked his suggestions and support. The zip codes our household
      encompasses are included within the lands granted to the Barony my the
      Society, so whatever we did, was going to be under the Barony. I also
      emailed the New Groups Deputy in Atlantia and solicited her suggestions and
      support.

      That was March of last year. At the moment, my household has about 50 local
      members, have all sort of needs for equipment, warranted marshals, and a
      better organizational structure.

      We are trying to decide how to formally organize. We have 5 post secondary
      educational institutions in the areas, so we COULD become a College. We
      COULD become a Canton under the Barony, but (I understand) it was tried
      about 8 years ago and eventually melted down due to a combinations of many
      factors, so that may be difficult. We COULD just keep on doing the
      "Household thing" and eventually, once we are larger and stronger, become a
      Shire, but we WANT to remain part of our Barony. Lastly, we could just
      remain a household. The advantages of each are varied, as are the
      disadvantages.

      Whatever you decide to do, do it with the advice, support and cooperation of
      the local organization(s). Whether they are Cantons, Shire or a Barony, you
      will one day have to play WITH them. Avoid the political estrangement by
      approaching it amicably.

      Wm of Glencoe
      Barony of Black Diamond
      Kingdom of Atlantia

      Message: 14
      Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:06:13 -0800
      From: Katie Pleasance <katie@...>
      Subject: RE: New Canton or Shire?

      Might a household be more appropriate?

      Katie de la Pleasance (at least for today), another newcomer

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor