Re: [SCA Newcomers] A question I have / Pirate garb

  • Katie Pleasance
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2004
      Might I propose a different possibility?

      Pirates stole things in a water-based setting. They stole clothes. They
      also wore clothes. I posit that there was no such thing as 'pirate garb' --
      just 'stolen garb that fits'. If this is the case, figure out what your
      victims would have worn and wear a hodge-podge. Presumably you were
      sufficiently successful to steal from more than one victim and therefore
      could pick what you liked. And, because pirates were outside regular social
      norms, social pressures to wear a particular garb would be less of an
      influence, therefore you would wear what *you* liked, not what was fashionable.

      Does this make sense?

      Catherine