Re: [SCA Newcomers] A question I have.

  • picmark69@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 27, 2004
      I personally try to dress like my persona would dress in my timeframe,
      However I do live in a warm climate so I cheat by using lighter fabrics than the
      actual garb that would have been worn in period. I would recommend if you want
      to get a start, try a simple t tunic for your first couple of events until
      you are able to decide what persona you would like to stick with. There are
      loads of people in the SCA eager to help get new members started and point them
      in the right direction in regard to garb. If you can document pirates in the
      1500s you can be a pirate just be prepared when the persona nazis look your
      way. seriously though in our little society there are people who go nuts when
      there is a tiny detail of your persona, garb, armour whatever isn't exactly
      in "period" but there are just as many people or more I would say that will
      compliment you on your attempt. Just remember it's all a GAME that we play. We
      are a large group and as in every large group there are factions that have
      their own oinions. Find a group that you like and you will have found life
      long friends.
      YIS
      Rory
      If you need a free website go to _mark-and-mark.com_
      (http://mark-and-mark.com/) and click on the top banner, or check out our catalog at
      _mark-and-mark.com_ (http://mark-and-mark.com/)

    • Steve K. Rourke
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004
        > I've been tempted off and on to try and get involved with the SCA.
        > The only real thing that's been holding me back is that none of the
        > personas I do at renaissance faires, according to some people in the
        > local SCA groups, are "in period" either by time period, or by
        > costuming. (One of the three, I can agree with that and wouldn't
        > think of trying to do it in the SCA anyway.)
        >
        > [One piece of reference for my post: I live in the Dallas, TX, and it
        > does get quite warm during the summer.]

        Just purely out of curiousity, which groups have you been in touch with?

        Dohmnall Dubh O'Ruairc
        Central Regional Hospitaler
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
      • cascadia4@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004
          On the pirates issue, if you have the documentation, you got them in a
          technicality. When it comes to barbarians, i have heard of many in the area around
          Atenveldt (Arizona), and frankly some dont like them because they are loud, and
          the women go barechested as well as men (which, hey, if thats what floats ye
          boat...).
          Check with some people down in the Atenveldt area, they may have some tips
          for you. Just go to the SCA site and look up Atenveldt, and try and find a
          contact in a house or guild. If you are going to Estrella, you will definately find
          many barbarians there (you may even find The House Inverted camping right
          next door... but don't say I said anything about them...)
          Anyway, good luck in you endevor.

          Peter Marshall
          Chronicler, Incipient College of Cranehaven
          (Wenatchee, Washington)
          Kingdom of An Tir

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 31, 2004
            In a message dated 1/31/2004 7:01:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

            <<I'd love to get my AOA but I doubt I will ever figure out what
            that actually takes.>>

            There are no specific requirements for any SCA award as far as "you must do
            these three things, be part of this for so many years, etc". What it actually
            takes varies from person to person. I know one gentleman who got his because
            at the first two events he attended, he spent almost the entirety of both
            events helping his daughter cook the feasts. I myself didn't get mine for 7
            years, because everyone though I already had it, and in that time had been working
            as a chirurgeon for 5 years, was a regional deputy chirurgeon for the
            kingdom, had held an office, and had autocratted and event or two.
            Basically, an AOA is for getting to the point where you are doing stuff to
            make things happen rather than sitting back and being entertained. Helping at
            events, making stuff for other people, doing jobs that need done, etc. Anybody
            can write a letter to the crown recommending that someone be given one, so
            getting to know people is an important part of getting the award.

            And Jolie, I started out with RenFaire stuff, too, and only ever got one
            snarky comment at my first event, when I was walking around with my skirt and my
            petticoats tucked in my belt to show off my bloomers. I was still wearing
            RenFaire stuff 5 years later (although not tucking stuff into my belt anymore).
            The group you ran into was not on the same page as most other people in the
            SCA. And if you were actually camping with them, and they hadn't bothered to
            give you any guidelines as to what they considered acceptable beforehand, but
            just expected you to know it, then that is their fault.

            Lancaster, PA

          • Susan Farmer
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 31, 2004
              > In a message dated 1/31/2004 7:01:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
              > scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:
              >
              > <<I'd love to get my AOA but I doubt I will ever figure out what
              > that actually takes.>>

              Please understand that my comments ar not directed at you personally.
              I have known individuals who were in it for the "Notice ME" factor
              and left quite disgruntled.

              Don't do stuff so that you can get an AOA -- that kind of effort can
              be obvious sometimes. Do stuff because you enjoy it -- or because
              you see a taks that needs doing -- or because you Know Something
              (a lady asked me to teach her to embroider) that someone else
              wants to know and share that knowledge.

              Doing "stuff" for the sole purpose of getting noticed is rarely
              productive.

              Jerusha
            • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
                On Saturday 31 January 2004 09:45, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
                > Anybody
                > can write a letter to the crown recommending that someone be given one, so
                > getting to know people is an important part of getting the award.

                Good point. I might add that (at least in most kingdoms) you do not have to
                *have* an award in order to *recommend* someone for it. In most kingdoms,
                anyone can recommend anyone else for any award.

                fesswise reversed sable.