RE: [SCA Newcomers] New Canton or Shire?

  • Katie Pleasance
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 27, 2004
      Might a household be more appropriate?

      Katie de la Pleasance (at least for today), another newcomer

    • SCARayne@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 27, 2004
        You know... I also thought about the suggestion of a Household,
        but decided not to mention it because the poster said they were
        new to the SCA and there are many things to be considered when
        starting a household. But, yes... in some cases a Household is
        a great option.

        Rather than start a thread which was covered not that long ago,
        if someone wishes to consider this option... I would suggest
        typing "household" in the Archive Search feature of this List
        and read over some of the wonderful posts on the subject.

        Rayne

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Katie Pleasance <katie@k...>
        wrote:
        > Might a household be more appropriate?
        >
        > Katie de la Pleasance (at least for today), another newcomer
      • Kathy Greer
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 27, 2004
          If I may suggest, try being a household first.
          Household does NOT require any paperwork and such.
          If, after a year or two, you have a sizeable group that is active, works
          together, and has the interest, then go for a group status. This will save
          you a lot of problems if the group does not work out after a few months.

          Kathy

          > A Shire needs at least 1 Seneschal, 1 Exchequer, and 1 Herald. In
          addition,
          > the Seneschal and Exchequer may not be living at the same address
          (although
          > that may be my kingdom law).
          >
          > A Canton needs at least 1 Seneschal, 1 Exchquer, and 1 of anything else
          > (i.e. Knight's Marshal, Minister of Arts & Sciences, Herald, etc.).
          >
          > I also recommend contacting your kingdom and/or regional seneschal for
          help
          > in this. They will let you know what your options are.
          >
          > ~Gintaras, C.R.C.~
          > Midrealm
          > Midlands
          > Ravenslake
          >

          > >From: kateryncorbett <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
          > >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: [SCA Newcomers] New Canton or Shire?
          > >Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 07:31:41 -0000
          > >
          > >Hi,
          > >I am new to this site, old to the SCA concept, that is I've known
          > >about it and longed for it for many years, never really able to get
          > >involved. Well, I checked out my local shire and wasn't especially
          > >comfortable. Not real close. Anyway, being so new, not even
          > >registered my name or anything yet, I am already thinking about how
          > >can I start a group closer? I read in the Corpa or something
          > >somewhere that you only have to have 6 paying members supporting, and
          > >you can form your own? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • kateryncorbett
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 27, 2004
            wrote:
            > Might a household be more appropriate?
            >
            > Katie de la Pleasance (at least for today), another newcomer

            Perhaps, I will look into it.
            Thank you.
          • Mark Bush (personal account)
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 28, 2004
              I am from a Barony that is over 200 miles east to west, and about 80 miles
              north to south. The activities of the barony were centered about 2 hours
              driving time away. Being too far for me to drive regularly for meetings,
              practices and events, I started a household.

              When I decided to organize a group, I contacted the Seneschal for the Barony
              and asked his suggestions and support. The zip codes our household
              encompasses are included within the lands granted to the Barony my the
              Society, so whatever we did, was going to be under the Barony. I also
              emailed the New Groups Deputy in Atlantia and solicited her suggestions and
              support.

              That was March of last year. At the moment, my household has about 50 local
              members, have all sort of needs for equipment, warranted marshals, and a
              better organizational structure.

              We are trying to decide how to formally organize. We have 5 post secondary
              educational institutions in the areas, so we COULD become a College. We
              COULD become a Canton under the Barony, but (I understand) it was tried
              about 8 years ago and eventually melted down due to a combinations of many
              factors, so that may be difficult. We COULD just keep on doing the
              "Household thing" and eventually, once we are larger and stronger, become a
              Shire, but we WANT to remain part of our Barony. Lastly, we could just
              remain a household. The advantages of each are varied, as are the
              disadvantages.

              Whatever you decide to do, do it with the advice, support and cooperation of
              the local organization(s). Whether they are Cantons, Shire or a Barony, you
              will one day have to play WITH them. Avoid the political estrangement by
              approaching it amicably.

              Wm of Glencoe
              Barony of Black Diamond
              Kingdom of Atlantia
              _______________

              Message: 14
              Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:06:13 -0800
              From: Katie Pleasance <katie@...>
              Subject: RE: New Canton or Shire?

              Might a household be more appropriate?

              Katie de la Pleasance (at least for today), another newcomer
            • William Thomas
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 28, 2004
                I was wondering what area are you from?

                John

                http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us&page=dialup/home&ST=1

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
              • Kathy Greer
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 29, 2004
                  Meridies

                • SCARayne@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 30, 2004
                    For those interested in this topic and are within the Kingdom of
                    Merdies, please note the guidelines for starting a new group in
                    Meridies are online and located at:

                    http://www.meridies.org/senschal/NewGroupGuide.htm

                    If I can be of any assistance, please let me know.

                    Mistress Rayne, OP
                    Meridies