Re: [SCA Newcomers] New Canton or Shire?

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 27, 2004
      On Tuesday 27 January 2004 11:31, Doug Gintaras wrote:
      > A Shire needs at least 1 Seneschal, 1 Exchequer, and 1 Herald. In addition,
      > the Seneschal and Exchequer may not be living at the same address (although
      > that may be my kingdom law).
      >
      > A Canton needs at least 1 Seneschal, 1 Exchquer, and 1 of anything else
      > (i.e. Knight's Marshal, Minister of Arts & Sciences, Herald, etc.).

      In the Midrealm, all groups need a Seneschal, an Exchequer, and either a
      Group Knights Marshal *or* a Minister of Arts and Sciences, plus a Herald
      unless the group is a canton of a Barony. Baronies are additionally required
      to have a Chronicler. These are the minimums; other officers are optional.

      No two of Exchequer, Seneschal, and Chronicler -- the three officers who
      handle SCA funds -- can live at the same address unless the appropriate
      Kingdom officers grant a waiver of this rule (Midrealm policy). It is easy
      to get such a waiver for the Chronicler if the newsletter is group-funded,
      because the rule was intended to apply if the Chronicler sold subscriptions
      to fund the newsletter. Merely being reimbursed by expenses (as opposed to
      being one of the people who writes the checks or collects funds) does not
      cause a conflict of interest under this rule.

      New Groups Deputy to the Middle Kingdom Seneschal

      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
    • Katie Pleasance
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 27, 2004
        Might a household be more appropriate?

        Katie de la Pleasance (at least for today), another newcomer

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 27, 2004
          On Tuesday 27 January 2004 11:57, Iustinos Tekton called Justin wrote:
          > Merely being reimbursed by expenses...

          This should read "...reimbursed FOR expenses..."

        • SCARayne@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 27, 2004
            You know... I also thought about the suggestion of a Household,
            but decided not to mention it because the poster said they were
            new to the SCA and there are many things to be considered when
            starting a household. But, yes... in some cases a Household is
            a great option.

            Rather than start a thread which was covered not that long ago,
            if someone wishes to consider this option... I would suggest
            typing "household" in the Archive Search feature of this List
            and read over some of the wonderful posts on the subject.

            Rayne

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Katie Pleasance <katie@k...>
            wrote:
            > Might a household be more appropriate?
            >
            > Katie de la Pleasance (at least for today), another newcomer
          • Kathy Greer
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 27, 2004
              If I may suggest, try being a household first.
              Household does NOT require any paperwork and such.
              If, after a year or two, you have a sizeable group that is active, works
              together, and has the interest, then go for a group status. This will save
              you a lot of problems if the group does not work out after a few months.

              Kathy

              > A Shire needs at least 1 Seneschal, 1 Exchequer, and 1 Herald. In
              addition,
              > the Seneschal and Exchequer may not be living at the same address
              (although
              > that may be my kingdom law).
              >
              > A Canton needs at least 1 Seneschal, 1 Exchquer, and 1 of anything else
              > (i.e. Knight's Marshal, Minister of Arts & Sciences, Herald, etc.).
              >
              > I also recommend contacting your kingdom and/or regional seneschal for
              help
              > in this. They will let you know what your options are.
              >
              > ~Gintaras, C.R.C.~
              > Midrealm
              > Midlands
              > Ravenslake
              >

              > >From: kateryncorbett <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
              > >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
              > >Subject: [SCA Newcomers] New Canton or Shire?
              > >Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 07:31:41 -0000
              > >
              > >Hi,
              > >I am new to this site, old to the SCA concept, that is I've known
              > >about it and longed for it for many years, never really able to get
              > >involved. Well, I checked out my local shire and wasn't especially
              > >comfortable. Not real close. Anyway, being so new, not even
              > >registered my name or anything yet, I am already thinking about how
              > >can I start a group closer? I read in the Corpa or something
              > >somewhere that you only have to have 6 paying members supporting, and
              > >you can form your own? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • kateryncorbett
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 27, 2004
                wrote:
                > Might a household be more appropriate?
                >
                > Katie de la Pleasance (at least for today), another newcomer

                Perhaps, I will look into it.
                Thank you.
              • Mark Bush (personal account)
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 28, 2004
                  I am from a Barony that is over 200 miles east to west, and about 80 miles
                  north to south. The activities of the barony were centered about 2 hours
                  driving time away. Being too far for me to drive regularly for meetings,
                  practices and events, I started a household.

                  When I decided to organize a group, I contacted the Seneschal for the Barony
                  and asked his suggestions and support. The zip codes our household
                  encompasses are included within the lands granted to the Barony my the
                  Society, so whatever we did, was going to be under the Barony. I also
                  emailed the New Groups Deputy in Atlantia and solicited her suggestions and
                  support.

                  That was March of last year. At the moment, my household has about 50 local
                  members, have all sort of needs for equipment, warranted marshals, and a
                  better organizational structure.

                  We are trying to decide how to formally organize. We have 5 post secondary
                  educational institutions in the areas, so we COULD become a College. We
                  COULD become a Canton under the Barony, but (I understand) it was tried
                  about 8 years ago and eventually melted down due to a combinations of many
                  factors, so that may be difficult. We COULD just keep on doing the
                  "Household thing" and eventually, once we are larger and stronger, become a
                  Shire, but we WANT to remain part of our Barony. Lastly, we could just
                  remain a household. The advantages of each are varied, as are the
                  disadvantages.

                  Whatever you decide to do, do it with the advice, support and cooperation of
                  the local organization(s). Whether they are Cantons, Shire or a Barony, you
                  will one day have to play WITH them. Avoid the political estrangement by
                  approaching it amicably.

                  Wm of Glencoe
                  Barony of Black Diamond
                  Kingdom of Atlantia
                  _______________

                  Message: 14
                  Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:06:13 -0800
                  From: Katie Pleasance <katie@...>
                  Subject: RE: New Canton or Shire?

                  Might a household be more appropriate?

                  Katie de la Pleasance (at least for today), another newcomer
                • William Thomas
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 28, 2004
                    I was wondering what area are you from?

                    John

                    http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us&page=dialup/home&ST=1

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
                  • Kathy Greer
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 29, 2004
                      Meridies

                    • SCARayne@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 30, 2004
                        For those interested in this topic and are within the Kingdom of
                        Merdies, please note the guidelines for starting a new group in
                        Meridies are online and located at:

                        http://www.meridies.org/senschal/NewGroupGuide.htm

                        If I can be of any assistance, please let me know.

                        Mistress Rayne, OP
                        Meridies