Re: [SCA Newcomers] Resource for newcomers.

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 19, 2004
      In a message dated 1/18/2004 11:56:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      <<I think that the "Raisin and fig Cream" comment was a complaint about
      the (perceived?) number of common SCA dishes containing raisins.>>

      Well, a lot of medieval recipes do contain either raisins or currants! It's
      not just an "SCA thing". For one thing, a lot of medieval dishes are sweet,
      and sometimes the sweetening is provided by dried fruits rather than sugar.
      For another, most of the recipes for what we would call stews don't use the meat
      and root vegetable combination we associate with the term, but meat, onions,
      and dried currants (which are really just tiny raisins anyway). And for a
      third thing, since they didn't have a way to keep fresh fruits fresh other than
      keeping them in a cool area, and couldn't import them from places where they
      are in season as we do, there would be times of the year when the only fruit
      available would be dried fruits - actually more into the spring and early summer
      than winter, because the apples and pears at least would probably keep fairly
      well for several months after the fall harvest.

      Lancaster, PA