RE: [SCA Newcomers] Jumping in

  • Doug Gintaras
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 14, 2004
      YES! Being a knight's marshal myself that is an excellent idea. We're always
      on the look out for new fighters. Are you referring to the Barony of
      Jaravellier in Madison, WI? I know some of the fighters up there.

      ~Gintaras Tauras, C.R.C.~
      Midrealm
      Midlands
      Ravenslake

      >From: "smp_rutabaga" <shawnp@...>
      >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Jumping in
      >Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 06:55:20 -0000
      >
      >Greetings,
      > I am returning to the SCA after about, oh I'd say a 13
      >year absence. I currently live in Jaravier Barony and would like to
      >get back in the fighting. I've scouted out the website and know a
      >bit about it and marked the site of the practices but feel funny
      >about just showing up to check it out. Anyone have advice on how to
      >get started. Friendly email to the Knight Marshall perhaps?
      >Thanks :)
      >Shawn

    • Dave Overton
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 14, 2004
        I was in the same situation just a couple of months
        ago. In the Middle Kingdom though. I just showed up.
        People were very friendly, helpful and inviting.
        Dave

        --- smp_rutabaga <shawnp@...> wrote:
        > Greetings,
        > I am returning to the SCA after about, oh
        > I'd say a 13
        > year absence. I currently live in Jaravier Barony
        > and would like to
        > get back in the fighting. I've scouted out the
        > website and know a
        > bit about it and marked the site of the practices
        > but feel funny
        > about just showing up to check it out. Anyone have
        > advice on how to
        > get started. Friendly email to the Knight Marshall
        > perhaps?
        > Thanks :)
        > Shawn

      • smp_rutabaga
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 14, 2004
          Ahha! I've tapped the source. How excellent. Thanks a lot Scott. I
          would be more than happy to take you up on the offer. However I am
          out sick today (the reason I've had hours to scout out SCA
          information on the web) so I had better make it the next one if that
          would work out with your schedule or if you can pass on the info to
          the KM that would be wonderful. Otherwise if you practice every week
          I will absolutely be there next Wed. If it's not to much trouble I
          will need to borrow some gear untill I can get some pointers on how
          to make it/purchase. Thanks again Scott!
          Shawn

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Tirloch O'Riordain"
          <tirloch@t...> wrote:
          > smp_rutabaga wrote:
          > > Greetings,
          > > I am returning to the SCA after about, oh I'd say a 13
          > > year absence. I currently live in Jaravier Barony and would like
          > > get back in the fighting. I've scouted out the website and know a
          > > bit about it and marked the site of the practices but feel funny
          > > about just showing up to check it out. Anyone have advice on how
          > > get started. Friendly email to the Knight Marshall perhaps?
          > > Thanks :)
          > > Shawn
          > >

          > Greetings and welcome back,
          >
          > My name is Tirloch, and on the chance that you meant Jararvellir
          (and
          > don't worry about the spelling, ten years before I got it right :-
          ) ), I
          > am the Chatelaine for the group. I would be happy to pass your
          info on
          > to our Knights Marshal. We just had an officer transition and the
          new KM
          > is not the one listed on the web page. Otherwise I would be happy
          > meet you at the fighters practice and introduce you to the KM and
          other
          > fighters. We have a very active Barony and many fighters of
          various
          > levels and many fighters very good at training. We also have some
          loaner
          > gear available if you do not still have all of your stuff together.
          >
          > We do have practice tonight (Wednesday), so feel free to contact
          me if
          > you would like me to meet you there and we can set up a time.
          >
          > Tirloch O'Riordain
          > MKA Scott Reardon
          > Email tirloch@t...
          > phone: 249-0222