Jumping in

  • smp_rutabaga
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 13, 2004
      Greetings,
      I am returning to the SCA after about, oh I'd say a 13
      year absence. I currently live in Jaravier Barony and would like to
      get back in the fighting. I've scouted out the website and know a
      bit about it and marked the site of the practices but feel funny
      about just showing up to check it out. Anyone have advice on how to
      get started. Friendly email to the Knight Marshall perhaps?
      Thanks :)
      Shawn
    • Doug Gintaras
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 14, 2004
        YES! Being a knight's marshal myself that is an excellent idea. We're always
        on the look out for new fighters. Are you referring to the Barony of
        Jaravellier in Madison, WI? I know some of the fighters up there.

        ~Gintaras Tauras, C.R.C.~
        Midrealm
        Midlands
        Ravenslake

        >From: "smp_rutabaga" <shawnp@...>
        >To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Jumping in
        >Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 06:55:20 -0000
        >
        >Greetings,
        > I am returning to the SCA after about, oh I'd say a 13
        >year absence. I currently live in Jaravier Barony and would like to
        >get back in the fighting. I've scouted out the website and know a
        >bit about it and marked the site of the practices but feel funny
        >about just showing up to check it out. Anyone have advice on how to
        >get started. Friendly email to the Knight Marshall perhaps?
        >Thanks :)
        >Shawn

      • Dave Overton
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 14, 2004
          I was in the same situation just a couple of months
          ago. In the Middle Kingdom though. I just showed up.
          People were very friendly, helpful and inviting.
          Dave

          --- smp_rutabaga <shawnp@...> wrote:
          > Greetings,
          > I am returning to the SCA after about, oh
          > I'd say a 13
          > year absence. I currently live in Jaravier Barony
          > and would like to
          > get back in the fighting. I've scouted out the
          > website and know a
          > bit about it and marked the site of the practices
          > but feel funny
          > about just showing up to check it out. Anyone have
          > advice on how to
          > get started. Friendly email to the Knight Marshall
          > perhaps?
          > Thanks :)
          > Shawn

        • smp_rutabaga
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 14, 2004
            I sure did. :) My spelling is just horrible. I blame the invention
            of the keyboard. Man I guess I really am good at being in the right
            place at the right time. It is very exciting that I am joining at
            the birth of the new Kingdom. Thanks for the reply Justin! If I have
            any trouble getting ahold of the KM I will definitely let you know.
            Take care
            Shawn

            <justin@4...> wrote:
            > On Wednesday 14 January 2004 01:55, smp_rutabaga wrote:
            > > I am returning to the SCA after about, oh I'd say a 13
            > > year absence. I currently live in Jaravier Barony and would like
            > > get back in the fighting. I've scouted out the website and know a
            > > bit about it and marked the site of the practices but feel funny
            > > about just showing up to check it out. Anyone have advice on how
            > > get started. Friendly email to the Knight Marshall perhaps?
            >
            > That's an excellent choice. Do you happen to mean "Jararvellir"
            Barony,
            > in modern-day Wisconsin? If so, I have some happy news for you:
            Northshield,

            http://4th.com/sca/justin/
            > justin@4... PGP Public Key at
            http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey
          • Tirloch O'Riordain
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 14, 2004
              smp_rutabaga wrote:
              > Greetings,
              > I am returning to the SCA after about, oh I'd say a 13
              > year absence. I currently live in Jaravier Barony and would like to
              > get back in the fighting. I've scouted out the website and know a
              > bit about it and marked the site of the practices but feel funny
              > about just showing up to check it out. Anyone have advice on how to
              > get started. Friendly email to the Knight Marshall perhaps?
              > Thanks :)
              > Shawn

              Greetings and welcome back,

              My name is Tirloch, and on the chance that you meant Jararvellir (and
              don't worry about the spelling, ten years before I got it right :-) ), I
              am the Chatelaine for the group. I would be happy to pass your info on
              to our Knights Marshal. We just had an officer transition and the new KM
              is not the one listed on the web page. Otherwise I would be happy to
              meet you at the fighters practice and introduce you to the KM and other
              fighters. We have a very active Barony and many fighters of various
              levels and many fighters very good at training. We also have some loaner
              gear available if you do not still have all of your stuff together.

              We do have practice tonight (Wednesday), so feel free to contact me if
              you would like me to meet you there and we can set up a time.

              Tirloch O'Riordain
              MKA Scott Reardon
              Email tirloch@...
              phone: 249-0222
            • smp_rutabaga
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 14, 2004
                Ahha! I've tapped the source. How excellent. Thanks a lot Scott. I
                would be more than happy to take you up on the offer. However I am
                out sick today (the reason I've had hours to scout out SCA
                information on the web) so I had better make it the next one if that
                would work out with your schedule or if you can pass on the info to
                the KM that would be wonderful. Otherwise if you practice every week
                I will absolutely be there next Wed. If it's not to much trouble I
                will need to borrow some gear untill I can get some pointers on how
                to make it/purchase. Thanks again Scott!
                Shawn

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Tirloch O'Riordain"
                <tirloch@t...> wrote:
                > smp_rutabaga wrote:
                > > Greetings,
                > > I am returning to the SCA after about, oh I'd say a 13
                > > year absence. I currently live in Jaravier Barony and would like
                > > get back in the fighting. I've scouted out the website and know a
                > > bit about it and marked the site of the practices but feel funny
                > > about just showing up to check it out. Anyone have advice on how
                > > get started. Friendly email to the Knight Marshall perhaps?
                > > Thanks :)
                > > Shawn
                > >

                > Greetings and welcome back,
                >
                > My name is Tirloch, and on the chance that you meant Jararvellir
                (and
                > don't worry about the spelling, ten years before I got it right :-
                ) ), I
                > am the Chatelaine for the group. I would be happy to pass your
                info on
                > to our Knights Marshal. We just had an officer transition and the
                new KM
                > is not the one listed on the web page. Otherwise I would be happy
                > meet you at the fighters practice and introduce you to the KM and
                other
                > fighters. We have a very active Barony and many fighters of
                various
                > levels and many fighters very good at training. We also have some
                loaner
                > gear available if you do not still have all of your stuff together.
                >
                > We do have practice tonight (Wednesday), so feel free to contact
                me if
                > you would like me to meet you there and we can set up a time.
                >
                > Tirloch O'Riordain
                > MKA Scott Reardon
                > Email tirloch@t...
                > phone: 249-0222