new

  • Alicia
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2004
      Hi, I'm pretty new to this, I'm not actually a member of the SCA at
      the moment, nor have I been to any events. I'm currently in the
      process of figuring out what group I should go to. I've narrowed it
      down to being part of the Kingdom of Ealdormere, but not sure after
      that. I live in Coboconk, Ontario...lol yes that is one of the
      silliest town names I've ever heard! But it is near Lindsay,
      Bobcaygeon and part of the Kawartha Lakes area. Can anyone help me in
      finding a local group??

      Thanks,
      Alicia
    • mike
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2004
        Have you checked the SCA website?

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2004
          Ealdormere has a wonderfully friendly website for this very
          problem... finding a local group.

          You can visit them at:

          http://www.ealdormere.sca.org/findgroup.shtml

          You might even be close enough to The Canton of Petrea Thule,
          in the Barony of Septentria. It is located in Peterborough,
          Ontario. You can contact the SENESCHAL - THL Anne Tinker who
          I am sure would be able to assist you. Below is their webpage:

          http://www.pipcom.com/~thule/

          Give it a try and if you still cannot find a group you can move
          to Meridies and play with me. ;-) Or let the List know. :-)

          Rayne
          Meridies

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Alicia" <prettylizabel@y...>
          wrote:
          > Hi, I'm pretty new to this, I'm not actually a member of the SCA at
          > the moment, nor have I been to any events. I'm currently in the
          > process of figuring out what group I should go to. I've narrowed it
          > down to being part of the Kingdom of Ealdormere, but not sure after
          > that. I live in Coboconk, Ontario...lol yes that is one of the
          > silliest town names I've ever heard! But it is near Lindsay,
          > Bobcaygeon and part of the Kawartha Lakes area. Can anyone help me
          in
          > finding a local group??
          >

          > Thanks,
          > Alicia
        • Susan Farmer
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 7, 2004
            > Hi, I'm pretty new to this, I'm not actually a member of the SCA at
            > the moment, nor have I been to any events. I'm currently in the
            > process of figuring out what group I should go to. I've narrowed it
            > down to being part of the Kingdom of Ealdormere, but not sure after
            > that. I live in Coboconk, Ontario...lol yes that is one of the
            > silliest town names I've ever heard! But it is near Lindsay,
            > Bobcaygeon and part of the Kawartha Lakes area. Can anyone help me in
            > finding a local group??

            If you haven't been to the Ealdormere web site yet, that's the place to
            look. (http://www.ealdormere.sca.org) they have a special page for
            finding groups http://www.ealdormere.sca.org/findgroup.shtml -- with
            contact folks listed.

            Jerusha, the Trillium Lady who spent a week in Chalk River once
          • charley_2626
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 16, 2013
              new to SCA son looking into archery,getting me into to go with.I can see that this could be good for both. Looking for groups in FL Englewood area to talk with help to get into,and info about.
            • Ian Green
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 17, 2013
                Greetings to you in Englewood, FL,

                http://www.sca.org/geography/ can help anyone find a local group in the SCA.  Pass that link on to friends and family that may also be interested no matter where they are in the world.

                You are in the Kingdom of Trimaris:

                http://www.trimaris.org/

                Just north of you is a group that is centered in Sarasota  Your area seems to not have a local SCA group that covers it.  Here is the Kingdom of Trimaris clickable map, just in case I'm wrong.

                http://www.trimaris.org/localcontacts-map

                That group just north of you is called the Canton of Stedborough

                That group's website is:

                http://www.stedborough.org/

                Your Local Newcomer Greeter to contact is:

                Ld. Gavin Kyncade
                (George Oakes)
                (941)-565-7592

                A Canton is part of a larger group called a Barony and the Barony is:

                The Barony of Marcaster:

                http://www.marcaster.org/home2/

                The Barony's newcomers greeter is:

                Cristiana atte Mere
                (Kristi Russell)
                (727) 452-2869

                Either of them should be able to get you the local information you are seeking.

                I could not find any local information about practices and such on their websites myself.  I apologize.  Hopefully the information provided will help you.

                If you find that for some reason you can not contact the two newcomer greaters (called Hospitalers there), feel free to contact the group president called a Seneschal.

                If for some reason you continue not to be contacted, get back a hold of me and I will see what I can do to help you further.

                The Honorble Lord Ian the Green, former Hospitaller type (we use a different title here)

                Middle Kingdom
                Constellation Region (Indiana)
                Shire of Greyhope (Northwest part of Indiana)

                IantheGreen01@...

                --
                Yours In Service,

                THLord Ian the Green

                "
                Resistit simplicitati veritas"

                My Blog
              • Stefan li Rous
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 17, 2013
                  <<< new to SCA son looking into archery,getting me into to go with.>>>

                  You might be interested in looking at two sections in my Florilegium. The URL is given in my signature below.
                  The first is the NEWCOMERS section, which has a number of files and articles meant for newcomers to the SCA.
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/idxnew.html

                  The second is the ARCHERY section:
                  http://www.florilegium.org/files/ARCHERY/idxarchery.html

                  We do both target and combat archery, where we shoot with modified arrows and bows at each other in combat. We also shoot target archery against a variety of targets and tournament styles. We also shoot both longbow and crossbows.

                  There are restrictions on the use of modern style bows and target arrows need to be fletched with real feathers and be on wooden, not synthetic shafts.

                  <<< I can see that this could be good for both. >>>

                  Both who or what? Oh, okay, I think you are saying you and your son?

                  Children can do almost anything in the SCA that adults can, including archery, although they can't fight on the same fields as the adults in the marshal arts. How old is your son? They can attend most classes and help in the kitchen.

                  For younger children there are often children's activities put on by the Minister of Children or other folks.

                  <<< Looking for groups in FL Englewood area to talk with help to get into,and info about. >>>

                  Being in Texas (the Kingdom of Ansteorra), I'm not that familiar with the groups in your area. Hopefully someone local to you will respond. You can find which groups are closest to you on the main SCA site at: www.SCA.org

                  Remember that you don't have to play with the group closest to you, although that might be the most convenient. For instance, the closest group might not have an active archery program, whereas a group further away might be really into archery.

                  Stefan
                  --------
                  http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris