Re: [SCA Newcomers] Hello from a new member

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2004
      In a message dated 1/3/2004 10:52:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      <<I'm new to the SCA (sort of a given since this list is for SCA
      newcomers ;) )>>

      There are also some oldtimers like me here, to answer questions for the
      newcomers! 14 years and counting!

      <<I'm in the Kingdom of Calontir at the Sire of Spinning Winds (Manhattan,
      KS) >>

      Nowhere nearby, I'm afraid; I'm in Pennsylvania.

      <<I would like a Celtic persona, but I'll wait and see what the
      average time period is at my SCA group.>>

      Just be aware that there are no official group identities - even if everyone
      else in your local group is 15th century German, you may still have a Celtic
      persona. What sort of Celt? Irish, Scottish, Breton, Cornish, Welsh, what
      time period? In the SCA time frame, "Celtic" is so broad a category as to be
      essentially meaningless.

      << I am pretty good with a
      needle and thread and can do simple to moderate pattern drafting >>

      Not surprised, given your email address!

      <<and I'm starting to make chain mail. I would like to try fighting,
      archery, and pretty much anything they have available. Brewing sounds
      fun, but I think it might be illegal since I'm only 17.>>

      You may be able to brew at 17; you just aren't allowed to taste what you
      brew! Hasn't stopped some people I've known from brewing and having others give
      feedback.

      <<They also
      have an Equestrian group that I would like to try, but I don't have
      my own horse, so I'm not sure I could join. >>

      At least here in the East, most equestrian events are sited at farms which
      have horses to rent or use for the day. I thin, in this day and age, most
      people don't have their own horses.

      Anyway, nice to meet you, and I hope you enjoy the SCA. You certainly sound
      like you are raring to go.

      Lancaster, PA

    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2004
        On Monday 05 January 2004 19:21, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
        > There are also some oldtimers like me here, to answer questions for the
        > newcomers!  14 years and counting!

        [grin] I'm a relative "newcomer" to Brangwayna, with a paltry twelve
        years in the SCA. As recently as 1989, my attitude was, "I don't want
        to hang out with THOSE WEIRDOS." My, my, how times change. ;-)

        > <<I would like a Celtic persona, but I'll wait and see what the
        > average time period is at my SCA group.>>
        >
        > Just be aware that there are no official group identities - even if
        > everyone else in your local group is 15th century German, you may still
        > have a Celtic persona.

        Very well said. If anyone in your local group tells you that you have to
        do the same persona as them, they are wrong. You can do any time period
        from about 600 to 1600 CE. *Households* (informal gatherings of friends,
        not officially recognized by the SCA) can make whatever persona rules they
        want, but shires can't limit persona other than what the SCA itself requires.

        [...]
        > Brewing sounds
        > fun, but I think it might be illegal since I'm only 17.>>
        >
        > You may be able to brew at 17; you just aren't allowed to taste what you
        > brew!  Hasn't stopped some people I've known from brewing and having others
        > give feedback.

        True again, but please be sure to check with the modern-world authorities (and
        your parents!) before you brew. Real-world laws trump SCA rules every time.

        Welcome to the SCA!

        fesswise reversed sable.

      • Dufgall vinaldasson
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5, 2004
          Brewing sounds
          > fun, but I think it might be illegal since I'm only
          > 17.>>
          >
          > You may be able to brew at 17; you just aren't
          > allowed to taste what you
          > brew! Hasn't stopped some people I've known from
          > brewing and having others give
          > feedback.

          I think that depending on state, this might be up to
          the parrents... tasting that is.

          not sure if this is US or Mississippi law, but just
          remember, 100 Gallons beer AND 100 Gallons wine per
          adult un the household per year, up to a max of 200
          gallons each, each year.

          Dufgall Vinaldasson
          *Landlocked little viking in themiddle of nowhere*

          =====
          Yours in Service,
          Dufgall, Son of Vinaldi,
          Principality of Gleann Abhann

          House Shadow Legion
          {sable, on a bend sinister argent three wolves courant sable}

          Clan of the Virtues
          {vert, on a bend sinister argent four ewes vert}