I'm new

  • mscangel7
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 12, 2003
      Greetings. I'm from the kingdom of Ansteorra (the Northern Region,
      but I have no clue what barony or canton or whatever it's called I
      live in). I have looked on the Ansteorra website and I still can't
      figure it out. I live in southern Oklahoma. If anyone can help me
      with this, I would appriciate it very much. I've been researching the
      SCA for a while and it seems like an interesting and exciting
      opportunity. I really can't wait to get started, but it all seems so
      confusing. I've given some thought to a persona, but that also
      confuses me. Could someone please help me sort thourhg all the
      information?
    • Lady Brangwyne of Rosenfeld
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 12, 2003
        If this helps any...heres a listing of all the groups in the Northern
        Region.

        http://northern.ansteorra.org/branches.html

        Brangwyne of Rosenfeld

        Greetings. I'm from the kingdom of Ansteorra (the Northern Region,
        but I have no clue what barony or canton or whatever it's called I
        live in). I have looked on the Ansteorra website and I still can't
        figure it out. I live in southern Oklahoma. If anyone can help me
        with this, I would appriciate it very much. I've been researching the
        SCA for a while and it seems like an interesting and exciting
        opportunity. I really can't wait to get started, but it all seems so
        confusing. I've given some thought to a persona, but that also
        confuses me. Could someone please help me sort thourhg all the
        information?

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        ---
        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

        ---
        Virus Database (VPS): 12/11/03
        Tested on: 12/12/03 2:17:22 PM

        ---
      • Brittany
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2007
          When my sister went to college she joined the SCA and has seemed to
          really enjoy it. I am 15 and interested in joining the Barony of
          Jararvellir in Madison. How should I do that? What events or
          activities would be best to start with and if I choose a weekly meeting
          or evert or whatever, how do I warn them I will be coming. How did
          some of you start going to events and joining?
        • Sara L Uckelman
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2007
            Quoth "Brittany":
            > really enjoy it. I am 15 and interested in joining the Barony of
            > Jararvellir in Madison. How should I do that?

            Oh, wonderful! I lived in Jararvellir for six years before I moved
            to Polderslot (Amsterdam, Netherlands). It's a very lovely place and
            an excellent group to join the SCA in.

            If you haven't found it already, the Barony's webpage is at
            http://www.jararvellir.org/. The person to talk to about getting
            involved is Lady Elizabeth Wren, the chatelaine; her email is
            chatelaine@.... The chatelaine's page also has
            other information for newcomers:

            http://www.jararvellir.org/chatelain.htm

            You should also check out the "local guilds and activities":
            http://www.jararvellir.org/guild.htm

            All of these cheerfully accept new members, just call or email
            the relevant person to confirm when and where the meetings are
            actually happening. You may also enjoy browsing the Barony's
            newsletter; the September issue is at
            http://www.jararvellir.org/skein/0709Skein.pdf

            For a first place to start, I would recommend the Wednesday night
            meetings at the Stock Pavilion on the UW Campus. The fighters,
            fencers, archers, and dancers all meet here throughout the evening,
            as well as other people who come along just to hang out and have
            fun.

            > activities would be best to start with and if I choose a weekly meeting
            > or evert or whatever, how do I warn them I will be coming. How did

            You don't have to give any warning if you don't want to, but if
            you do, Lady Elizabeth is the person to talk to.

            Have fun! You'll meet lots of very nice people in Jara.

            -Aryanhwy

            --
            vita sine literis mors est
            http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 3, 2007
              My girlfriend is up in that Barony.

              Just to let you know the name is not pronounced at all like it looks.

              Jaravellir is pronounced

              Yar uh vet ler.

              The folks there are really great. As someone under the age of 18,
              please bring a parent with you to the first few SCA things you go to
              as well. This is good both for your parent's state of mind and for
              the SCA group you are looking at joining.

              The folks there are very nice and really all you need to do when you
              arrive is to say, "I'm new, who should I talk to about...?" If you
              have gotten a hold of someone ask for them by name.

              If for some reason you can not get a hold of the chatelaine you are
              also welcome to try the Seneschal and the Baroness. The Baroness's
              SCA name is pronounced IKE ney. She is incredibly nice.

              Good luck and have fun. I started in the SCA when I was 14 so age
              is not something that should stop you. Have fun, ask questions and
              learn everything you can.

              Ian the Green

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Brittany" <waterviolite@...>
              wrote:

              > When my sister went to college she joined the SCA and has seemed
              > really enjoy it. I am 15 and interested in joining the Barony of
              > Jararvellir in Madison. How should I do that? What events or
              > activities would be best to start with and if I choose a weekly
              meeting
              > or evert or whatever, how do I warn them I will be coming. How
              did
              > some of you start going to events and joining?

            • Crystal ortiz

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 4, 2007
                  Hospitaler = Chatelain(e) = Newcomers Greeter and Helper

                  Ian
                  Chatelain for the Shire of Grey Gargoyles
                  Region of the Midlands
                  Middle Kingdom

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Crystal ortiz