Newcomers holding office (was: Speaking Forsoothly)

  • pdruss@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 2003
      Unfortunately, we've had some bad experiences with newcomers holding offices.

      We have a herald now that doesn't know what the heck she is talking about
      when she tries to get up and give a heraldry class and it got so bad one day the
      students in the class were correcting her and the local peer had to get up and
      "help" her out. First she fails to bring heraldry forms to meeting for many
      months then she passes out the wrong forms for heraldry submissions and tells
      people the wrong way to fill out the forms. So that months later when the folks
      are starting to look for the acceptance of their submissions, the forms are
      returned and told to refill out new forms. : ( The herald before that
      was pretty much just as bad.

      Of the last 3 seneschals we have only had one that showed any effort in doing
      anything for the shire. The current one is stepping down in January and I
      personally can't wait. I have offered many times to start shire projects or to
      help with current projects that have been stalling for over a year and in some
      case 2 years and have been turned down cold time and time again; and I am known
      in our group as someone who is very organized and willing to work hard on
      projects to complete then in a given time.

      My personal opinion is that a person should first learn all they can about
      the office "subject" first such as heraldry or fighting, THEN offer to become
      the deputy where you then learn how to run that particular SCA office from the
      current officer before you take over an office.

      I don't blame the current officers so much because they haven't been train
      correctly by the former holder of the office. I blame the original office holder
      who failed to train their deputy and passed on the office to someone not
      trained and not knowing anything about proper function of the office.

    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 11, 2003
        On Thursday 11 December 2003 13:20, pdruss@... wrote:
        > Unfortunately, we've had some bad experiences with newcomers holding
        > offices.
        >
        > We have a herald now that doesn't know what the heck she is talking about
        [...]
        > First she fails to bring heraldry forms to
        > meeting for many months then she passes out the wrong forms for heraldry
        [...]
        > : ( The herald before that was pretty much just as bad.
        >
        > Of the last 3 seneschals we have only had one that showed any effort in
        > doing anything for the shire.
        [...]

        These are the symptoms of people unwilling to learn on the job, or unwilling
        to put effort into the office itself. I've seen very experienced people do
        the same thing. In my opinion, any local office can be learned on the job,
        but you *must* be willing to work hard to do so. The examples you've given
        above show what happens when someone wants a title but not a job.

        We had a newcomer Chatelaine in our group who did a fantastic job; the group
        is nine years old now, and I still think she was the best ever in that office.
        But she didn't make the mistake that you mention for the Herald. Instead of
        relying on her own limited knowledge, she made a point of learning rapidly from
        others with more experience, but she did the job while she learned. If a new
        visitor asked her a question, and she didn't know the answer, she would find
        out and get back to the person with an answer. The first step in learning is
        admitting that you don't already know. :-)

        > My personal opinion is that a person should first learn all they can about
        > the office "subject" first such as heraldry or fighting, THEN offer to
        > become the deputy where you then learn how to run that particular SCA
        > office from the current officer before you take over an office.

        In an ideal world, I think we would all agree that this is the best way. But
        I have seen new people take on offices and, given a willingness to work and
        a quick mind, do very well at the jobs.

        fesswise reversed sable.