Re: Newcomers holding office (was: Speaking Forsoothly)

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 10, 2003
      On Tuesday 09 December 2003 23:59, sca_celt wrote:
      > Got to agree with Justin. When I was Seneschale I had no trouble
      > having newcomers jump into an office... even if "old-timers" were
      > about. Sometimes the "old-timers" need a rest or the group could
      > actually use a "fresh insight". Giving someone an office can give
      > a person a "reason" to participate. I have belonged to a group
      > where everyone was new and the group was just forming.
      >
      > It is my own personal opinion that, whenever possible, the
      > Chatelain(e) should be a more experienced member since they
      > are called upon to answer so many newcomer questions. Still,
      > like I mention in my Chatelain(e) classes, Chatelaines do not
      > have to know everything, just be willing to seek out the answers...
      > and a friendly, willing newcomer makes a better "Welcome Wagon
      > representative" than an old-timer mired in politics.

      There is another phenomenon in established groups that makes it nearly
      essential for the SCA to be open to the idea of newcomers holding office.

      People who show talent in a local office are often asked, or volunteer, to
      hold similar offices at higher levels. This creates a "brain drain" from the
      local group, because someone who is busy being Kingdom Whozits doesn't have
      the time to volunteer as Shire Whatchacallit. Yes, the term as Kingdom Whozits
      is finite, but overall there is a migration "upward" in the chain of command
      as people gain in experience. That's natural and normal, and generall a Good
      Thing. After all, it rewards competence and experience with further challenges.
      But it does create a shortage of talent at the local level, and hence we need
      for new people to be willing to take on offices. Eventually, *they* will gain
      in experience and knowledge, and will likewise move up the food chain, if they
      are so inclined; and thus the cycle repeats endlessly.

      fesswise reversed sable.