Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Speaking Forsoothly

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 9, 2003
      On Tuesday 09 December 2003 14:14, cascadia4@... wrote:
      > Anyway, I havent had too much said to me, but some seem to put out that
      > aurora of 'why is this kid, who is pretty much new to the SCA, getting an
      > office?'

      Why indeed.

      For the same reason that I became the first Seneschal of a brand-new shire
      after having only been to one SCA event other than Pennsic, and literally only
      minutes after someone explained to me what a Seneschal *is*: Because you were
      needed.

      You hold the office because, like me, you saw a job that needed to be done,
      and when they asked for volunteers and everyone else took two steps backward,
      you didn't.

      You hold the office because, since no one had "proved" to you that you couldn't
      do it, you were willing to believe that you *can*.

      Let those who would question your ability examine themselves first, to ask
      themselves why they didn't step forward and volunteer. You did step forward,
      and you're doing the job. All else is unimportant.

      fesswise reversed sable.

    • sca_celt
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 2003
        Got to agree with Justin. When I was Seneschale I had no trouble
        having newcomers jump into an office... even if "old-timers" were
        about. Sometimes the "old-timers" need a rest or the group could
        actually use a "fresh insight". Giving someone an office can give
        a person a "reason" to participate. I have belonged to a group
        where everyone was new and the group was just forming.

        It is my own personal opinion that, whenever possible, the
        Chatelain(e) should be a more experienced member since they
        are called upon to answer so many newcomer questions. Still,
        like I mention in my Chatelain(e) classes, Chatelaines do not
        have to know everything, just be willing to seek out the answers...
        and a friendly, willing newcomer makes a better "Welcome Wagon
        representative" than an old-timer mired in politics.

        Rayne

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 10, 2003
          On Tuesday 09 December 2003 23:59, sca_celt wrote:
          > Got to agree with Justin. When I was Seneschale I had no trouble
          > having newcomers jump into an office... even if "old-timers" were
          > about. Sometimes the "old-timers" need a rest or the group could
          > actually use a "fresh insight". Giving someone an office can give
          > a person a "reason" to participate. I have belonged to a group
          > where everyone was new and the group was just forming.
          >
          > It is my own personal opinion that, whenever possible, the
          > Chatelain(e) should be a more experienced member since they
          > are called upon to answer so many newcomer questions. Still,
          > like I mention in my Chatelain(e) classes, Chatelaines do not
          > have to know everything, just be willing to seek out the answers...
          > and a friendly, willing newcomer makes a better "Welcome Wagon
          > representative" than an old-timer mired in politics.

          There is another phenomenon in established groups that makes it nearly
          essential for the SCA to be open to the idea of newcomers holding office.

          People who show talent in a local office are often asked, or volunteer, to
          hold similar offices at higher levels. This creates a "brain drain" from the
          local group, because someone who is busy being Kingdom Whozits doesn't have
          the time to volunteer as Shire Whatchacallit. Yes, the term as Kingdom Whozits
          is finite, but overall there is a migration "upward" in the chain of command
          as people gain in experience. That's natural and normal, and generall a Good
          Thing. After all, it rewards competence and experience with further challenges.
          But it does create a shortage of talent at the local level, and hence we need
          for new people to be willing to take on offices. Eventually, *they* will gain
          in experience and knowledge, and will likewise move up the food chain, if they
          are so inclined; and thus the cycle repeats endlessly.

          fesswise reversed sable.