Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Speaking Forsoothly

  • cascadia4@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 9, 2003
      Rayne,
      Its not much of the fact that I am only 18, but that I have only been active
      for 2 months before the then current Chronicler (Whom is also Herald) decided
      that my ideas and as she says, talent, would be perfect for the job. I had
      grown up with the SCA most of my life. (Cousins and such in the SCA in Arizona,
      members of the House Inverted, I was able to attend Estrella at 4, and a few
      practices. They always were making Boffers for us kids, trying to teach us early
      some techniques of heavy fighting.)
      Anyway, I havent had too much said to me, but some seem to put out that
      aurora of 'why is this kid, who is pretty much new to the SCA, getting an office?'
      Well, thank you for the info and such. Any questions about my area i will be
      glad to answer. Also, I may be asking other An Tirians about certain 'Do's and
      Don'ts in the Kingdom, when the questions arise. I hope that this will be a
      nice forum for answers to what looks to be many questions in the future.
      Thank you kindly,
      Peter Marshall
      Chronicler
      Incipient College of Cranehaven

    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 2003
        On Tuesday 09 December 2003 14:14, cascadia4@... wrote:
        > Anyway, I havent had too much said to me, but some seem to put out that
        > aurora of 'why is this kid, who is pretty much new to the SCA, getting an
        > office?'

        Why indeed.

        For the same reason that I became the first Seneschal of a brand-new shire
        after having only been to one SCA event other than Pennsic, and literally only
        minutes after someone explained to me what a Seneschal *is*: Because you were
        needed.

        You hold the office because, like me, you saw a job that needed to be done,
        and when they asked for volunteers and everyone else took two steps backward,
        you didn't.

        You hold the office because, since no one had "proved" to you that you couldn't
        do it, you were willing to believe that you *can*.

        Let those who would question your ability examine themselves first, to ask
        themselves why they didn't step forward and volunteer. You did step forward,
        and you're doing the job. All else is unimportant.

        fesswise reversed sable.

      • sca_celt
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 2003
          Got to agree with Justin. When I was Seneschale I had no trouble
          having newcomers jump into an office... even if "old-timers" were
          about. Sometimes the "old-timers" need a rest or the group could
          actually use a "fresh insight". Giving someone an office can give
          a person a "reason" to participate. I have belonged to a group
          where everyone was new and the group was just forming.

          It is my own personal opinion that, whenever possible, the
          Chatelain(e) should be a more experienced member since they
          are called upon to answer so many newcomer questions. Still,
          like I mention in my Chatelain(e) classes, Chatelaines do not
          have to know everything, just be willing to seek out the answers...
          and a friendly, willing newcomer makes a better "Welcome Wagon
          representative" than an old-timer mired in politics.

          Rayne

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 10, 2003
            On Tuesday 09 December 2003 23:59, sca_celt wrote:
            > Got to agree with Justin. When I was Seneschale I had no trouble
            > having newcomers jump into an office... even if "old-timers" were
            > about. Sometimes the "old-timers" need a rest or the group could
            > actually use a "fresh insight". Giving someone an office can give
            > a person a "reason" to participate. I have belonged to a group
            > where everyone was new and the group was just forming.
            >
            > It is my own personal opinion that, whenever possible, the
            > Chatelain(e) should be a more experienced member since they
            > are called upon to answer so many newcomer questions. Still,
            > like I mention in my Chatelain(e) classes, Chatelaines do not
            > have to know everything, just be willing to seek out the answers...
            > and a friendly, willing newcomer makes a better "Welcome Wagon
            > representative" than an old-timer mired in politics.

            There is another phenomenon in established groups that makes it nearly
            essential for the SCA to be open to the idea of newcomers holding office.

            People who show talent in a local office are often asked, or volunteer, to
            hold similar offices at higher levels. This creates a "brain drain" from the
            local group, because someone who is busy being Kingdom Whozits doesn't have
            the time to volunteer as Shire Whatchacallit. Yes, the term as Kingdom Whozits
            is finite, but overall there is a migration "upward" in the chain of command
            as people gain in experience. That's natural and normal, and generall a Good
            Thing. After all, it rewards competence and experience with further challenges.
            But it does create a shortage of talent at the local level, and hence we need
            for new people to be willing to take on offices. Eventually, *they* will gain
            in experience and knowledge, and will likewise move up the food chain, if they
            are so inclined; and thus the cycle repeats endlessly.

            fesswise reversed sable.