Re: Speaking Forsoothly

  • sca_celt
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 9, 2003
      And that is a wonderful point... our awards/recognitions are
      NOT "door prizes" or merit badges... and age has little to do
      with one's participation. When my daughter received her AOA
      at age 17 she had been in the SCA 17 years. I started playing
      in 1973 and she was born in 1975.

      My son, born in 1977, was heavy hitting by the time he was 10.
      There was no youth program in those days... and nothing to stop
      the men of my household from teaching him privately in our own
      backyard. He also played LARP. By the time he turned 18, he
      was 6'5 and had been heavy hitting for 8 years. Heck, he was over
      6 feet by age 12.

      Most people have no idea by just looking at someone what their
      background and experience is. Sometimes, if anyone wonders about
      someone else's award, they might just need to just trust their
      Crown's judgement the person "earned" what they have received.

      Rayne
      Meridies

      > Mm, I know in Trimaris that there are a handful of 'kids' with
      AOAs. It was sort of disconcerting at first, until I got used to the
      idea, and started hanging around enough of them to realize that it
      wasn't a door prize.

      > On the other hand, knights at under 18 doesn't seem nearly as
      > likely, since you're not allowed to fight heavy here until you're
      16, and even then I only know one person who does ( He's 17 ). Then
      > again, it's sort of hard to tell when they're in armour. I do know
      a cadet who is 16/17, but he'd been doing fencing for years before
      he got involved in the SCA.

      > ::shrug:: One of the great things about SCA is that, save for
      > paperwork and legal issues, age isn't really paid that much
      attention to. I know a few peers who have suggested that they won't
      take squires/apprentices/proteges under 18, esp. SCA orphans because
      the logistics can be way too difficult to work out. They will take
      them as a student ( one peer I knew had a certain title for his
      almost- apprentices, and I know knights who take pages instead of
      squires ) though.

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 9, 2003
        In a message dated 12/9/2003 10:16:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

        <<The question is, what's the 'right' way to basically go over to them
        and say ' you guys rock'.>>

        "My lords, you have served me right well with your chivalry and courtesy. I
        am most impressed."

        That would work nicely.

        Lancaster, PA