Re: Speaking Forsoothly

  • sca_celt
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 8, 2003
      Peter,

      I found your signature line interesting. ie. That your age
      ("a mere 18") would cause any eyebrows raised. Within our
      wonderful organization we have had kings around your age or so
      (I think King Fernando was not terribly ancient when he stepped
      to the Throne with Ianthe) ... Knights recognized at your age
      or younger - Sir Eldon and Sir Sean Kirkpatrick Tarragon coming
      to mind. AOAs given out to your age and much younger - Most
      notably an AOA to Kathleen of Kittens when she was around 8
      years old by King Andrew of the West. My own daughter received
      her AOA at age 17.

      As I like to always point out that within this organization
      it is not your age or how long you have been in the SCA that
      counts... it is what you have done while you been in.

      You are to be commended for stepping up to the plate and
      holding an office.

      Rayne
      (Members of the List are free (and encouraged) to correct me
      if I have any ages, names or dates wrong... the mind slips
      with time - another reason to support new members). :-)

      > --Peter Marshall,
      > Chronciler
      > Incipient College of Cranehaven
      > Kindgom of An Tir
      > (Im the youngest officer in my area, at a mere 18... kind of ticks
      off some., he he)
    • ankashai
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 9, 2003
        Mm, I know in Trimaris that there are a handful of 'kids' with AOAs.
        It was sort of disconcerting at first, until I got used to the idea,
        and started hanging around enough of them to realize that it wasn't a
        door prize.

        On the other hand, knights at under 18 doesn't seem nearly as
        likely, since you're not allowed to fight heavy here until you're 16,
        and even then I only know one person who does ( He's 17 ). Then
        again, it's sort of hard to tell when they're in armour. I do know a
        cadet who is 16/17, but he'd been doing fencing for years before he
        got involved in the SCA.

        ::shrug:: One of the great things about SCA is that, save for
        paperwork and legal issues, age isn't really paid that much attention
        to. I know a few peers who have suggested that they won't take
        squires/apprentices/proteges under 18, esp. SCA orphans because the
        logistics can be way too difficult to work out. They will take them
        as a student ( one peer I knew had a certain title for his almost-
        apprentices, and I know knights who take pages instead of squires )
        though.

        - Hawke

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "sca_celt" <SCARayne@a...> wrote:
        > Peter,
        >
        > I found your signature line interesting. ie. That your age
        > ("a mere 18") would cause any eyebrows raised. Within our
        > wonderful organization we have had kings around your age or so
        > (I think King Fernando was not terribly ancient when he stepped
        > to the Throne with Ianthe) ... Knights recognized at your age
        > or younger - Sir Eldon and Sir Sean Kirkpatrick Tarragon coming
        > to mind. AOAs given out to your age and much younger - Most
        > notably an AOA to Kathleen of Kittens when she was around 8
        > years old by King Andrew of the West. My own daughter received
        > her AOA at age 17.
        >
        > As I like to always point out that within this organization
        > it is not your age or how long you have been in the SCA that
        > counts... it is what you have done while you been in.
        >
        > You are to be commended for stepping up to the plate and
        > holding an office.
        >
        > Rayne
        > (Members of the List are free (and encouraged) to correct me
        > if I have any ages, names or dates wrong... the mind slips
        > with time - another reason to support new members). :-)
        >

        > > --Peter Marshall,
        > > Chronciler
        > > Incipient College of Cranehaven
        > > Kindgom of An Tir
        > > (Im the youngest officer in my area, at a mere 18... kind of
        ticks
        > off some., he he)
      • sca_celt
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 9, 2003
          And that is a wonderful point... our awards/recognitions are
          NOT "door prizes" or merit badges... and age has little to do
          with one's participation. When my daughter received her AOA
          at age 17 she had been in the SCA 17 years. I started playing
          in 1973 and she was born in 1975.

          My son, born in 1977, was heavy hitting by the time he was 10.
          There was no youth program in those days... and nothing to stop
          the men of my household from teaching him privately in our own
          backyard. He also played LARP. By the time he turned 18, he
          was 6'5 and had been heavy hitting for 8 years. Heck, he was over
          6 feet by age 12.

          Most people have no idea by just looking at someone what their
          background and experience is. Sometimes, if anyone wonders about
          someone else's award, they might just need to just trust their
          Crown's judgement the person "earned" what they have received.

          Rayne
          Meridies

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 9, 2003
            In a message dated 12/9/2003 10:16:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

            <<The question is, what's the 'right' way to basically go over to them
            and say ' you guys rock'.>>

            "My lords, you have served me right well with your chivalry and courtesy. I
            am most impressed."

            That would work nicely.

            Lancaster, PA