Re: [SCA Newcomers] Speaking Forsoothly

  • cascadia4@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 8, 2003
      Mi'lady,
      You could try going up to them off the sidelines and saying "Good show
      mi'lords. Thou art very tallented fighters." or something like that. Anything else
      you need help on, just ask.
      --Peter Marshall,
      Chronciler
      Incipient College of Cranehaven
      Kindgom of An Tir
      (Im the youngest officer in my area, at a mere 18... kind of ticks off some.,
      he he)

    • sca_celt
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 8, 2003
        Peter,

        I found your signature line interesting. ie. That your age
        ("a mere 18") would cause any eyebrows raised. Within our
        wonderful organization we have had kings around your age or so
        (I think King Fernando was not terribly ancient when he stepped
        to the Throne with Ianthe) ... Knights recognized at your age
        or younger - Sir Eldon and Sir Sean Kirkpatrick Tarragon coming
        to mind. AOAs given out to your age and much younger - Most
        notably an AOA to Kathleen of Kittens when she was around 8
        years old by King Andrew of the West. My own daughter received
        her AOA at age 17.

        As I like to always point out that within this organization
        it is not your age or how long you have been in the SCA that
        counts... it is what you have done while you been in.

        You are to be commended for stepping up to the plate and
        holding an office.

        Rayne
        (Members of the List are free (and encouraged) to correct me
        if I have any ages, names or dates wrong... the mind slips
        with time - another reason to support new members). :-)

        > --Peter Marshall,
        > Chronciler
        > Incipient College of Cranehaven
        > Kindgom of An Tir
        > (Im the youngest officer in my area, at a mere 18... kind of ticks
        off some., he he)
      • ankashai
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 9, 2003
          Mm, I know in Trimaris that there are a handful of 'kids' with AOAs.
          It was sort of disconcerting at first, until I got used to the idea,
          and started hanging around enough of them to realize that it wasn't a
          door prize.

          On the other hand, knights at under 18 doesn't seem nearly as
          likely, since you're not allowed to fight heavy here until you're 16,
          and even then I only know one person who does ( He's 17 ). Then
          again, it's sort of hard to tell when they're in armour. I do know a
          cadet who is 16/17, but he'd been doing fencing for years before he
          got involved in the SCA.

          ::shrug:: One of the great things about SCA is that, save for
          paperwork and legal issues, age isn't really paid that much attention
          to. I know a few peers who have suggested that they won't take
          squires/apprentices/proteges under 18, esp. SCA orphans because the
          logistics can be way too difficult to work out. They will take them
          as a student ( one peer I knew had a certain title for his almost-
          apprentices, and I know knights who take pages instead of squires )
          though.

          - Hawke

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "sca_celt" <SCARayne@a...> wrote:
          > Peter,
          >
          > I found your signature line interesting. ie. That your age
          > ("a mere 18") would cause any eyebrows raised. Within our
          > wonderful organization we have had kings around your age or so
          > (I think King Fernando was not terribly ancient when he stepped
          > to the Throne with Ianthe) ... Knights recognized at your age
          > or younger - Sir Eldon and Sir Sean Kirkpatrick Tarragon coming
          > to mind. AOAs given out to your age and much younger - Most
          > notably an AOA to Kathleen of Kittens when she was around 8
          > years old by King Andrew of the West. My own daughter received
          > her AOA at age 17.
          >
          > As I like to always point out that within this organization
          > it is not your age or how long you have been in the SCA that
          > counts... it is what you have done while you been in.
          >
          > You are to be commended for stepping up to the plate and
          > holding an office.
          >
          > Rayne
          > (Members of the List are free (and encouraged) to correct me
          > if I have any ages, names or dates wrong... the mind slips
          > with time - another reason to support new members). :-)
          >

          > > --Peter Marshall,
          > > Chronciler
          > > Incipient College of Cranehaven
          > > Kindgom of An Tir
          > > (Im the youngest officer in my area, at a mere 18... kind of
          ticks
          > off some., he he)
        • sca_celt
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 9, 2003
            And that is a wonderful point... our awards/recognitions are
            NOT "door prizes" or merit badges... and age has little to do
            with one's participation. When my daughter received her AOA
            at age 17 she had been in the SCA 17 years. I started playing
            in 1973 and she was born in 1975.

            My son, born in 1977, was heavy hitting by the time he was 10.
            There was no youth program in those days... and nothing to stop
            the men of my household from teaching him privately in our own
            backyard. He also played LARP. By the time he turned 18, he
            was 6'5 and had been heavy hitting for 8 years. Heck, he was over
            6 feet by age 12.

            Most people have no idea by just looking at someone what their
            background and experience is. Sometimes, if anyone wonders about
            someone else's award, they might just need to just trust their
            Crown's judgement the person "earned" what they have received.

            Rayne
            Meridies

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 9, 2003
              In a message dated 12/9/2003 10:16:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,
              scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

              <<The question is, what's the 'right' way to basically go over to them
              and say ' you guys rock'.>>

              "My lords, you have served me right well with your chivalry and courtesy. I
              am most impressed."

              That would work nicely.

              Lancaster, PA