Re: [SCA Newcomers] Hi, possibly take two

  • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2003
      On Tuesday 02 December 2003 09:25, randomwerks2k2 wrote:
      > I've been covering Pop Culture and entertainment for various print
      > and internet pubs for about 10 years now, and I've been running my
      > own website (home to my own goofy little writings) for close to 4
      > years, in addition to running a freeform webradio station for close
      > to 5 months.

      Ooooh! Ooooh! Ooooh!

      Please, take a moment and visit http://scatoday.net/ (a work in progress, but
      a very active project). Then consider if you might perhaps be interested in
      volunteering in some capacity on our staff.

      Sorry for the shameless plug, but this opening was just too good to pass up!

      Welcome to the SCA, whether or not we are able to suck you into the vortex
      of Yet Another Project To Consume Your Valuable Time.

      Justin
      Publisher, SCAtoday.net

      fesswise reversed sable.

    • Dufgall vinaldasson
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2003
        dont forget to wear the blue feather letting everyone
        know youre a newbie...

        *grin*
        Yes I know the meaning of the feather and was told
        AFTER my first event... yet they never gave one...

        Dufgall Vinaldasson
        Meridian, MS
        --- randomwerks2k2 <mike@...> wrote:
        > Huzzah all,
        >
        > Name's jm, and I'm about to take the plunge into the
        > SCA.
        >
        > A little about myself's probably in order....
        >
        > I've been covering Pop Culture and entertainment for
        > various print
        > and internet pubs for about 10 years now, and I've
        > been running my
        > own website (home to my own goofy little writings)
        > for close to 4
        > years, in addition to running a freeform webradio
        > station for close
        > to 5 months.
        >
        > I've always been facinated with mythology and the
        > Arthurian cannon
        > in particular (comes from being a long time comics
        > geek- and I say
        > that proudly).
        >
        > I've been going to Ren Faires (N.AL Ren Faire &
        > TNRF) for about
        > three years now (snaping Pics, being annoying,
        > snapping up CD's) and
        > some playtrons who remembered me from previous years
        > playfully
        > begged me to "garb and get it over with, already".
        >
        > So...I just purchased my first two complete outfits
        > (including belt,
        > pouches, and boots- Merry Christmas to me, I
        > suppose..), and am
        > about to join the SCA (because obviously I don't
        > have enough
        > hobbies...). Don't have a persona yet (might need
        > some help with
        > that).In my mundy life, I'm a writer- so I'd like to
        > incorporate
        > that in. I suppose I could be a scribe, as a being a
        > bard actually
        > requires singing (since I doubt that doing Ramones
        > and Sex Pistols
        > songs in drunken rages of Karioke qualifies as
        > "singing"). Then
        > again, I'm a bit a clown- so perhaps a Jester or
        > quite possibly a
        > village idiot. You can never have too many of those
        > (in which case I
        > don't really have the garb for it...).
        >
        > I'm trying, though. It's weird, I can write about me
        > as another
        > character (or a set of characters) in fiction. And I
        > routinely write
        > about myself and those around me for my
        > Journalism-type work. But
        > I'm hitting a wall at bloody persona. Irony...
        >
        > Anyway, I'm attending my first Shire meeting
        > tonight- and I'm kinda
        > hyped about it...
        >
        > So, yes- I'm a virgin. Completey new at this. Go
        > easy on me...

        =====
        Yours in Service,
        Dufgall, Son of Vinaldi,
        Principality of Gleann Abhann

        House Shadow Legion
        {sable, on a bend sinister argent three wolves courant sable}

        Clan of the Virtues
        {vert, on a bend sinister argent four ewes vert}

        Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
        http://companion.yahoo.com/
      • Jocosa
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 8, 2003
          Greetings JM... since you already have web skills and write, check
          with whatever group you may join up with to see if they need
          assistance with their website or newsletter.

          I too write for a living and have done mundane webpages on the
          side. In the SCA, I'm webminister for my local group (Shire of
          Thorngill, Montgomery, AL) and have been recently serving as the
          Deputy Chronicler for Local Webministers for the Kingdom of
          Meridies. If you end up doing any web work with your local group,
          we'll be in contact, so well met anyways!

          From your post, I'm guessing you're in central TN. :)

          I applied for an SCA Today reporter in its early days. I hope Justin
          remembers me... ;) it is more of a link type site and unfortunately,
          report copy from events is on the low side online in Meridies. I've
          only been posted once on SCA Today, that was earlier this year for
          the Silver Anniversary Event.

          I've got plans to approach a certain gentle in the Kingdom who often
          reports on Kingdom events to help get more of this type info online
          (so we CAN participate more in SCA Today!) I do know that he is
          looking for other gentles to help him in the reporting - also
          another writing opportunity for you.

          At Gulf Wars, I'm tag-team teaching a class on the 'Art of
          Webministering' with Lady Luca, the Webminister for Gleann Abhann.
          We'll be covering developing web policy, some do's and don'ts, have
          a bunch of handouts and follow that with an open forum/Q&A session.
          If you plan on going (simply THE event to go to if you're in the
          South!), please put the class on your schedule.

          Feel free to look me up by Yahoo messenger or reply privately if you
          wish.

          YIS,
          Jocosa
        • mike
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 8, 2003
            Hunstville, AL actually- so I'm not that far from you.....

            Definately need to represent, then. Lemme know what you find out
            -jmt

            Greetings JM... since you already have web skills and write, check
            with whatever group you may join up with to see if they need
            assistance with their website or newsletter.

            I too write for a living and have done mundane webpages on the
            side. In the SCA, I'm webminister for my local group (Shire of
            Thorngill, Montgomery, AL) and have been recently serving as the
            Deputy Chronicler for Local Webministers for the Kingdom of
            Meridies. If you end up doing any web work with your local group,
            we'll be in contact, so well met anyways!

            >From your post, I'm guessing you're in central TN. :)

            I applied for an SCA Today reporter in its early days. I hope Justin
            remembers me... ;) it is more of a link type site and unfortunately,
            report copy from events is on the low side online in Meridies. I've
            only been posted once on SCA Today, that was earlier this year for
            the Silver Anniversary Event.

            I've got plans to approach a certain gentle in the Kingdom who often
            reports on Kingdom events to help get more of this type info online
            (so we CAN participate more in SCA Today!) I do know that he is
            looking for other gentles to help him in the reporting - also
            another writing opportunity for you.

            At Gulf Wars, I'm tag-team teaching a class on the 'Art of
            Webministering' with Lady Luca, the Webminister for Gleann Abhann.
            We'll be covering developing web policy, some do's and don'ts, have
            a bunch of handouts and follow that with an open forum/Q&A session.
            If you plan on going (simply THE event to go to if you're in the
            South!), please put the class on your schedule.

            Feel free to look me up by Yahoo messenger or reply privately if you
            wish.

            YIS,
            Jocosa

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Britt
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 9, 2003
              Hey, you can still be a bard. Irish songs are really good for your musical interrest. If
              you get a chance listen to some really early Pogues. Alot of the music is
              traditional from their first two albums and alot of Irish songs are about drinking so
              being drunk while singing them only enhances the perfomance. As a former Ren rat
              myself, I have found a home in the SCA and hope you will too. If you need any help
              in personna research just let someone know. (Some of us are complete nerds, myself
              included and love doing any kind of research.) Keep us up to date on your progress.
              Mary of the Stews