Hi, possibly take two

  • randomwerks2k2
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2003
      Huzzah all,

      Name's jm, and I'm about to take the plunge into the SCA.

      A little about myself's probably in order....

      I've been covering Pop Culture and entertainment for various print
      and internet pubs for about 10 years now, and I've been running my
      own website (home to my own goofy little writings) for close to 4
      years, in addition to running a freeform webradio station for close
      to 5 months.

      I've always been facinated with mythology and the Arthurian cannon
      in particular (comes from being a long time comics geek- and I say
      that proudly).

      I've been going to Ren Faires (N.AL Ren Faire & TNRF) for about
      three years now (snaping Pics, being annoying, snapping up CD's) and
      some playtrons who remembered me from previous years playfully
      begged me to "garb and get it over with, already".

      So...I just purchased my first two complete outfits (including belt,
      pouches, and boots- Merry Christmas to me, I suppose..), and am
      about to join the SCA (because obviously I don't have enough
      hobbies...). Don't have a persona yet (might need some help with
      that).In my mundy life, I'm a writer- so I'd like to incorporate
      that in. I suppose I could be a scribe, as a being a bard actually
      requires singing (since I doubt that doing Ramones and Sex Pistols
      songs in drunken rages of Karioke qualifies as "singing"). Then
      again, I'm a bit a clown- so perhaps a Jester or quite possibly a
      village idiot. You can never have too many of those (in which case I
      don't really have the garb for it...).

      I'm trying, though. It's weird, I can write about me as another
      character (or a set of characters) in fiction. And I routinely write
      about myself and those around me for my Journalism-type work. But
      I'm hitting a wall at bloody persona. Irony...

      Anyway, I'm attending my first Shire meeting tonight- and I'm kinda
      hyped about it...

      So, yes- I'm a virgin. Completey new at this. Go easy on me...
    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2003
        On Tuesday 02 December 2003 09:25, randomwerks2k2 wrote:
        > I've been covering Pop Culture and entertainment for various print
        > and internet pubs for about 10 years now, and I've been running my
        > own website (home to my own goofy little writings) for close to 4
        > years, in addition to running a freeform webradio station for close
        > to 5 months.

        Ooooh! Ooooh! Ooooh!

        Please, take a moment and visit http://scatoday.net/ (a work in progress, but
        a very active project). Then consider if you might perhaps be interested in
        volunteering in some capacity on our staff.

        Sorry for the shameless plug, but this opening was just too good to pass up!

        Welcome to the SCA, whether or not we are able to suck you into the vortex
        of Yet Another Project To Consume Your Valuable Time.

        Justin
        Publisher, SCAtoday.net

        fesswise reversed sable.

      • Dufgall vinaldasson
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2003
          dont forget to wear the blue feather letting everyone
          know youre a newbie...

          *grin*
          Yes I know the meaning of the feather and was told
          AFTER my first event... yet they never gave one...

          Dufgall Vinaldasson
          Meridian, MS
          --- randomwerks2k2 <mike@...> wrote:
          > Huzzah all,
          >
          > Name's jm, and I'm about to take the plunge into the
          > SCA.
          >
          > A little about myself's probably in order....
          >
          > I've been covering Pop Culture and entertainment for
          > various print
          > and internet pubs for about 10 years now, and I've
          > been running my
          > own website (home to my own goofy little writings)
          > for close to 4
          > years, in addition to running a freeform webradio
          > station for close
          > to 5 months.
          >
          > I've always been facinated with mythology and the
          > Arthurian cannon
          > in particular (comes from being a long time comics
          > geek- and I say
          > that proudly).
          >
          > I've been going to Ren Faires (N.AL Ren Faire &
          > TNRF) for about
          > three years now (snaping Pics, being annoying,
          > snapping up CD's) and
          > some playtrons who remembered me from previous years
          > playfully
          > begged me to "garb and get it over with, already".
          >
          > So...I just purchased my first two complete outfits
          > (including belt,
          > pouches, and boots- Merry Christmas to me, I
          > suppose..), and am
          > about to join the SCA (because obviously I don't
          > have enough
          > hobbies...). Don't have a persona yet (might need
          > some help with
          > that).In my mundy life, I'm a writer- so I'd like to
          > incorporate
          > that in. I suppose I could be a scribe, as a being a
          > bard actually
          > requires singing (since I doubt that doing Ramones
          > and Sex Pistols
          > songs in drunken rages of Karioke qualifies as
          > "singing"). Then
          > again, I'm a bit a clown- so perhaps a Jester or
          > quite possibly a
          > village idiot. You can never have too many of those
          > (in which case I
          > don't really have the garb for it...).
          >
          > I'm trying, though. It's weird, I can write about me
          > as another
          > character (or a set of characters) in fiction. And I
          > routinely write
          > about myself and those around me for my
          > Journalism-type work. But
          > I'm hitting a wall at bloody persona. Irony...
          >
          > Anyway, I'm attending my first Shire meeting
          > tonight- and I'm kinda
          > hyped about it...
          >
          > So, yes- I'm a virgin. Completey new at this. Go
          > easy on me...

          =====
          Yours in Service,
          Dufgall, Son of Vinaldi,
          Principality of Gleann Abhann

          House Shadow Legion
          {sable, on a bend sinister argent three wolves courant sable}

          Clan of the Virtues
          {vert, on a bend sinister argent four ewes vert}

          Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
          http://companion.yahoo.com/
        • Jocosa
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 8, 2003
            Greetings JM... since you already have web skills and write, check
            with whatever group you may join up with to see if they need
            assistance with their website or newsletter.

            I too write for a living and have done mundane webpages on the
            side. In the SCA, I'm webminister for my local group (Shire of
            Thorngill, Montgomery, AL) and have been recently serving as the
            Deputy Chronicler for Local Webministers for the Kingdom of
            Meridies. If you end up doing any web work with your local group,
            we'll be in contact, so well met anyways!

            From your post, I'm guessing you're in central TN. :)

            I applied for an SCA Today reporter in its early days. I hope Justin
            remembers me... ;) it is more of a link type site and unfortunately,
            report copy from events is on the low side online in Meridies. I've
            only been posted once on SCA Today, that was earlier this year for
            the Silver Anniversary Event.

            I've got plans to approach a certain gentle in the Kingdom who often
            reports on Kingdom events to help get more of this type info online
            (so we CAN participate more in SCA Today!) I do know that he is
            looking for other gentles to help him in the reporting - also
            another writing opportunity for you.

            At Gulf Wars, I'm tag-team teaching a class on the 'Art of
            Webministering' with Lady Luca, the Webminister for Gleann Abhann.
            We'll be covering developing web policy, some do's and don'ts, have
            a bunch of handouts and follow that with an open forum/Q&A session.
            If you plan on going (simply THE event to go to if you're in the
            South!), please put the class on your schedule.

            Feel free to look me up by Yahoo messenger or reply privately if you
            wish.

            YIS,
            Jocosa
          • mike
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 8, 2003
              Hunstville, AL actually- so I'm not that far from you.....

              Definately need to represent, then. Lemme know what you find out
              -jmt

              Greetings JM... since you already have web skills and write, check
              with whatever group you may join up with to see if they need
              assistance with their website or newsletter.

              I too write for a living and have done mundane webpages on the
              side. In the SCA, I'm webminister for my local group (Shire of
              Thorngill, Montgomery, AL) and have been recently serving as the
              Deputy Chronicler for Local Webministers for the Kingdom of
              Meridies. If you end up doing any web work with your local group,
              we'll be in contact, so well met anyways!

              >From your post, I'm guessing you're in central TN. :)

              I applied for an SCA Today reporter in its early days. I hope Justin
              remembers me... ;) it is more of a link type site and unfortunately,
              report copy from events is on the low side online in Meridies. I've
              only been posted once on SCA Today, that was earlier this year for
              the Silver Anniversary Event.

              I've got plans to approach a certain gentle in the Kingdom who often
              reports on Kingdom events to help get more of this type info online
              (so we CAN participate more in SCA Today!) I do know that he is
              looking for other gentles to help him in the reporting - also
              another writing opportunity for you.

              At Gulf Wars, I'm tag-team teaching a class on the 'Art of
              Webministering' with Lady Luca, the Webminister for Gleann Abhann.
              We'll be covering developing web policy, some do's and don'ts, have
              a bunch of handouts and follow that with an open forum/Q&A session.
              If you plan on going (simply THE event to go to if you're in the
              South!), please put the class on your schedule.

              Feel free to look me up by Yahoo messenger or reply privately if you
              wish.

              YIS,
              Jocosa

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Britt
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 9, 2003
                Hey, you can still be a bard. Irish songs are really good for your musical interrest. If
                you get a chance listen to some really early Pogues. Alot of the music is
                traditional from their first two albums and alot of Irish songs are about drinking so
                being drunk while singing them only enhances the perfomance. As a former Ren rat
                myself, I have found a home in the SCA and hope you will too. If you need any help
                in personna research just let someone know. (Some of us are complete nerds, myself
                included and love doing any kind of research.) Keep us up to date on your progress.
                Mary of the Stews