Re: [SCA Newcomers] Hello!

  • spookypoetswife
    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 1, 2003
      I am glad to be part of the group... what kingdoms are here?

      My Lord and I with our 3 sons are from The middlerealm. Rimsholt to
      be more specific. We are new to the SCA attending our 1st event only
      last Feb 14th.
    • D'vorah bint Da'ud
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 11, 2014

        Yeah, I couldn’t find it on the site either. So I googled “Caid award cords” and this is what I found. http://wiki.caid-commons.org/index.php/Award_Cords At the bottom of the page there’s a link to Bridget’s weaving patterns for making the cords. Bridget is now Her Royal Highness, and is an accomplished weaver. I must say, I’m totally looking forward to seeing what she’ll be wearing during her reign.

        > <<It’s not necessary at all to use period tools or materials, though it’s of course encouraged...
        > ...Sometimes what you’ll want to try is a technique>>
        >
        > At the moment I haven't necessarily tried to "recreate" a specific extant example, as much as trying to learn how tablet weaving works. It sounds like documentation is as much as skill as the things we're trying to recreate, though!

        An astute and accurate observation. It’s one reason I admire those who do good documentation, and really understand when someone says they’d rather not do that themselves. ;)

        Like I mentioned, but probably not with enough emphasis, you CAN attempt to perfectly replicate period artifacts. Or, you can attempt to reinterpret them (“it’s a Book of Hours based on the X book found at Y site, except I did it as a set of prayers devoted to the Norse gods instead of the Christian one…” or maybe “I wanted it to be almost exactly like the X garment found at Y site, except that I’m much taller and thinner than the original wearer must have been, so I altered the measurements to fit me”). It’s up to you. That’s the beauty of the SCA. ANYTHING that was done in the Middle Ages, someone among us is probably attempting to do it, too. And anything that was done by one human being could have been done in another way by another person, so we’re probably trying that out, too. ;)
        D'vorah bint Da'ud
        Protégé to Meister Albrecht Waldfurster, OP
        Gyldenholt, Caid (Orange, CA)
        dvorah@...
        Twitter: @DvorahSCA
        Facebook: D'vorah bint Da'ud

        "Purpure, in chief three bees Or marked purpure and on a point pointed Or a bee purpure marked Or."