Re: [SCA Newcomers] Hello!

  • Susan Farmer
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2003
      > Greetings from the kingom of An Tir!
      > I am Peter Marshall, Chronicler-in-transition of the Incipient College of
      > Cranehaven (Wenatchee, WA). Pleased to hear of you.
      > On the subject of books, I think the author of the 'For Dummies' books needs
      > to get a clue and write 'The S.C.A. for Dummies', which would be a great tool,
      > if he could pack it full of usefull tips in ways everyone can understand. He
      > does great on the others, and and SCA version would be a great addition.
      > Well, glad to have another person to share information with!

      Hey, that's a wonderful idea -- but the same person doesn't write the
      books -- they're written by different folks .....

      Jerusha, in Meridies
    • Nicole E. Miller
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 14, 2007
        Welcome, welcome, welcome. I consider my self pretty new still. I have been a member for just over a year, and only been to a handful of event. I am very shy so this was hard for me too. This is what I did.
        1. Find out what local group you would belong to. If you go to the Society web page (www.sca.org) you can find local groups by zip code.
        2. Check out their web site. Most groups have a Chateline. This person if the there to help new people get involved. If your group does not have a Chateline, the Senechal (president) can do the same thing.
        I emailed back and forth with my Barony's Chateline for a while, then went to a few Newcomers' meetings. Many groups hold these at group members homes as an informal (no garb or anythig) get to know the group and as a Q&A.

        I know its hard to go out and meet strangers, but once you do, you won't look back.

        Hope this helps.

        In your service,

        Sian verch Gwilim ap Lewelin
        Kingdom of Atlantia
        Chamberlain, Barony of Ponte Alto

        ---- Kitty <night_angel0126@...> wrote:

        =============
        Hi, I am really interested in going to an event but i am just well
        scared. I don't want to look or act like a fool and I really haven't
        found much info as to when an event is going to happen in my area
        (central jersey). But mainly i am really scared and nervous. Any ideas
        opn how not to be a fool, and what i should do to find out whats going
        on in my area?
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 15, 2007
          In a message dated 9/14/2007 8:22:37 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          night_angel0126@... writes:

          <<Hi, I am really interested in going to an event but i am just well
          scared. I don't want to look or act like a fool and I really haven't
          found much info as to when an event is going to happen in my area
          (central jersey). But mainly i am really scared and nervous. Any ideas
          opn how not to be a fool, and what i should do to find out whats going
          on in my area?>>

          Central Jersey is a very active area, and some really nice folks whoa re
          pretty good about looking out for newcomers, I think. For what's coming up, got
          to _www.eastkingdom.org_ (http://www.eastkingdom.org) . In the menu on the
          left is a "Local Events" calendar. Everything should be listed by both the
          name of the SCA group and the county the event is located in.

          How not to look like a fool:

          Look at some books (DK kids books are great for this) on the Middle Ages to
          get an idea of what to wear and see if you can find something like that. If
          not, call the "autocrat" (person running the event - they will be listed on
          the website) and ask about loaner clothing.

          Bring a mug, plate, utensils, and a bowl if you are going to be eating at
          the event.

          Don't be afraid to do two things. One is to let people know that you are
          new as soon as you arrive and whenever you want to ask what someone is doing or
          what something means. Two, if you see something you think you can help
          with, like rearranging tables and chairs, volunteer to help.

          Take a moment to see how busy someone is before you start speaking to them.
          If they look really harried, try to find someone else to ask.

          Hope that's helpful, and welcome to the East!

          Lancaster, PA