RE: [SCA Newcomers] sca names

  • Sarait ban-saorse
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 24, 2003
      --- Christine Taylor <christaylor@...> wrote:
      > Another list member pointed out that the three names
      > might be a problem.
      > I also believe you hit the proverbial nail on the head
      > with the use of "Samhain." It would be rather like my
      > trying to call myself "Easter."

      I agree...this is your major hurdle - the nickname. Also,
      generally the adjective/descriptive part of a name comes
      AFTER the first name..unlike English.
      Example: To distinguish between Mary Neil and Mary Duncan
      we'd give them nics based, usually, on some physical
      characteristic...say, Big Mary and pale/white Mary. We'd
      say Maire Mor inghean Neal and Maire ban inghean Duncan...

      Hence "Donntarbh Samhain McLolair" would probably be more
      correct. Granted, you might need to have 'Samhain' lenited
      to be even more correct.

      I think you'll still have a difficult time getting Samhain
      past the heralds unless you can find documentation for its
      use in a name. Perhaps you can alter the name to indicate
      Donntarbh born at Halloween, of Donntarbh OF
      halloween...some indication, other than a strict adjective,
      of your connection to Halloween.

      Your best bet might be to simply register the name without
      the descriptor as your official name but introduce yourself
      as Donntarbh McLolair called Samhain.

      I've been called Ban Cu for as long as I can remember but I
      haven't found an example of it in use in order to register
      it as part of my name. Originally it was Cu Ban (which is
      the corect form) and there was a member of the Fianna
      called this. However, I was always asked if I was CUBAN!
      No joke..and I'm about as Irish looking as they come (sans
      red hair). I would not have been able to register Cu Ban
      regardless because 1)it was used as a male name, and 2)the
      Fianna are considered too much on the mythical end to be
      considered an adequate historical source. Does this stop
      me from using a form of it? Nope! But it isn't
      registered.

      Because the registration process is so long you might want
      to consider these alternatives. Check with your herald and
      see what your chances are...you never know!

      Good luck,

      -BanCu

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 24, 2003
        Thanks - I'm in Dragonship Haven in CT. My area of interest would be daily
        living in late medieval Scotland.

        Thanks-

        Sorcha

        At 11:35 AM 11/22/2003, wambat13@... wrote:
        >Sorcha,
        >Aren't you in 3M or DM territory?
        >Are you familiar with Powell's?
        >Aetheria has lists of period research books.
        >Even if you are not the local Sorcha, contact
        >me and I'll get you in touch with Aetheria
        >for a good list of books in your area of interest.
        >Ta
        >Gilia
        >
        >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        ><http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cgjvrdv/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705126283:HM/EXP=1069605329/A=1524963/R=0/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&lineid=3614674&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>cc44f.jpg
        >
        >cc4cc.jpg

      • samain donntarbh
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 24, 2003
          I thank you for the advise. I will bring this up to our herald because the "samhain" is mearly a nick name. I didn't see the problem in using it but apearantly there is.
          Donntarbh

          Tirloch O'Riordain <tirloch@...> wrote:
          Samhain Donntarbh McLolair wrote:

          > My persona name is Samhain Donntarbh McLolair. I am a Celtic
          > warrior of about 100-400 a.d. I have been told that my name doesn't
          > fit as a name for the SCA because of the rules of heraldry. My
          > concern is that my persona comes form a poeple that influenced those
          > rules, not a poeple who were influenced by them. As far as the
          > research I have done on the names of the Irish Celts, the
          > name "Donntarbh" was quite common. Samhain is more of a Nick name as
          > halloween is my birthday, and McLolair an apropriate last name, so I
          > don't understand the problem. please help me...
          > Samhain Donntarbh McLolair

          Here is a good resource for Irish names if you are interested.

          http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/irish.shtml

          As for the name you have chosen, first let me state that you do not have
          to register you name. You can, but it is not required to do so. So you
          can use whatever name you wish.

          That being said, should you wish to register your name, you should talk
          to a local Herald about the reasons it will not pass as it stands, and
          work within that framework.

          I am not a Herald, but I am Irish. What I can see as to the probable
          heraldic problem would be the three names. Irish celts did not adopt 2
          Christian names (first and middle) until the 1600's. One way to fix
          this, would be to register Donntarbh McLolair as Donntarbh McLolair,
          called Samhain. This may satisfy them.

          Good Luck,

          Tirloch O'Riordain (who drops the saints name of Ainmire in the middle
          when I want it to be period :-) )

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 24, 2003
            On Monday 24 November 2003 16:49, samain donntarbh wrote:
            > One way to fix
            > this, would be to register Donntarbh McLolair as Donntarbh McLolair,
            > called Samhain. This may satisfy them.

            I'll go you one better. You don't have to register the "called Samhain"
            part of your name at all.

            I am "Iustinos Tekton called Justin", but the "called Justin" part is not
            submitted to the College of Heralds at all. They passed "Iustinos Tekton"
            with very little hassle.

            fesswise reversed sable.

          • RhysAB@nycap.rr.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 24, 2003
              That is how I am submitting my name as well Justin. For over a decade
              I've been refered to as Rhys Aiden Bifjord (Rhisse Aoden Byfeyord for
              pronunciation), I can document all three names back to my time period, but
              not the use of the three names. I could document it... but not for the
              900s. So I am registering Aiden Bifjord and everyone will just keep
              calling me Rhys anyhow... heck, I've had that first name for 19 years.
              Couldn't loose it if I wanted to. :)

              In Service,
              Lord Rhys Aiden Bifjord (took me 18 years but I got the AoA)

              > On Monday 24 November 2003 16:49, samain donntarbh wrote:
              > > One way to fix
              > > this, would be to register Donntarbh McLolair as Donntarbh McLolair,
              > > called Samhain. This may satisfy them.
              >
              > I'll go you one better. You don't have to register the "called Samhain"
              > part of your name at all.
              >
              > I am "Iustinos Tekton called Justin", but the "called Justin" part is not
              > submitted to the College of Heralds at all. They passed "Iustinos Tekton"
              > with very little hassle.
              >
              > Justin
              >
              > --
              > Gules, on a bezant a fleam sable, on a chief dovetailed Or, two keys
              > fesswise reversed sable.
              >
              > Marche of Alderford (Canton, Ohio) http://4th.com/sca/justin/
              > justin@... PGP Public Key at http://4th.com/keys/justin.pubkey

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              This message was sent using Road Runner's Web-based
              e-mail.