Re: Care of Pewder Mugs

  • sca_celt
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 23, 2003
      Here are a couple of websites on cleaning old pewter. Maybe they
      can help.

      http://www.statesmanclassifieds.com/real/homes/20030202_garycns.html
      (scroll down to the appropriate question).

      http://www.griffinpewter.com/aboutpewter.htm
      (a couple of ideas here)

      I have heard that old pewter cannot go into a dishwasher, but if it
      looks "bad = unsanitary"... You might want to consider boiling it.

      Rayne

      > Greetings Gentles,
      >
      > I have just found one of my old pewder mugs that has not been used
      in > 8 to 10 years. It was burried in the bottom of an old
      backpack. (parts snipped)

      > How do I clean pewder? Can one just use soap? (I have Dutch ovens
      > and I know soap isn't to be used on the Dutch ovens.) Can it just
      go in the dishwasher?

      > Any ideas would be most helpful.
      >
      > Eric von Wald
    • chemistbb3
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 26, 2003
        If the mug is real pewter, clean it up and put it on the shelf to
        look at. Real pewter contains lead, which can be dissolved in your
        drink, especially if it is an acidic drink. Depending on exactly how
        old the mug is, it could be real pewter. I have found real pewter
        mugs in garage sales. There are some kits around that are for
        testing for lead paint that should work on mugs just fine.

        William

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Garrett" <garrett241@y...>