Care of Pewder Mugs

  • Garrett
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 22, 2003
      Greetings Gentles,

      I have just found one of my old pewder mugs that has not been used in
      8 to 10 years. It was burried in the bottom of an old backpack.

      When I look in it, I'm not too sure I everwant to drik from it
      again. In the old days when I used it, I hardly ever cleaned it.
      Just sloshed (spelling?) Scotch (or some other drink) around the
      inside and called it cleaned. Well, I'm older now and more careful
      about what I but into my body... I'm not sure it really is too clean.

      How do I clean pewder? Can one just use soap? (I have Dutch ovens
      and I know soap isn't to be used on the Dutch ovens.) Can it just go
      in the dishwasher?

      Any ideas would be most helpful.

      Eric von Wald

      "It doesn't matter how well you fight, it only matters how good you
      look doing it."
    • sca_celt
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 23, 2003
        Here are a couple of websites on cleaning old pewter. Maybe they
        can help.

        http://www.statesmanclassifieds.com/real/homes/20030202_garycns.html
        (scroll down to the appropriate question).

        http://www.griffinpewter.com/aboutpewter.htm
        (a couple of ideas here)

        I have heard that old pewter cannot go into a dishwasher, but if it
        looks "bad = unsanitary"... You might want to consider boiling it.

        Rayne

        > Greetings Gentles,
        >
        > I have just found one of my old pewder mugs that has not been used
        in > 8 to 10 years. It was burried in the bottom of an old
        backpack. (parts snipped)

        > How do I clean pewder? Can one just use soap? (I have Dutch ovens
        > and I know soap isn't to be used on the Dutch ovens.) Can it just
        go in the dishwasher?

        > Any ideas would be most helpful.
        >
        > Eric von Wald
      • chemistbb3
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 26, 2003
          If the mug is real pewter, clean it up and put it on the shelf to
          look at. Real pewter contains lead, which can be dissolved in your
          drink, especially if it is an acidic drink. Depending on exactly how
          old the mug is, it could be real pewter. I have found real pewter
          mugs in garage sales. There are some kits around that are for
          testing for lead paint that should work on mugs just fine.

          William

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Garrett" <garrett241@y...>