Sorry...

  • Caius Livius Varus Germanicus
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 17, 2003
      Looks like I let a [spam]message slip by.

      Generally, when a message comes in for moderation (all new members
      are moderated at first) if it is just a link to a geocities webpage,
      it contains a ton of pop-ups and potentially spyware. I delete these
      immediately and also ban the deliverer (these are usually done by
      bots so please excuse our autocratic endeavors in banning spammers).

      I just did it again, but this time instead of hitting "delete", I
      accidentally hit "approve", which allowed this message thru to
      everyone. If you get a message with only a link to a geocities
      account, I reccomend deletion of the message.

      I try and keep the signal to noise ratio good around here by pretty
      much allowing any "conversation" even remotely involving SCA and/
      Newcomers to the organization and for the most part don't edit
      anything. I do however have to approve a ton of messages and when
      they are spam (pure spam, especially ones done by bots, not
      inadvertant messages by members) I try and make sure nobody gets it.

      Sorry for letting one thru. Slip of the finger on the ol mouse. I'm
      sorry for any inconvenience.

      I now return you to your normal programming...

      Caius Livius Varus Germanicus, KSCA
      ~AnTir~
      (Moderator)
    • Dufgall vinaldasson
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 17, 2003
        GOOD! dont let it happen again!

        *SMILE* Just kidding...

        I dont know how many people i speak for, but IN MY
        OPINION, such a slip does not require an appology.

        You do so well of a job keeping out all the real spam
        that an occational slip is almost expected. after all
        no-one is perfect... LEAST of all, ME! *smile again*

        BUT, the warning about such spam messages is
        appreciated.

        Dufgall
        (mac)
        <eq_germanicus@...> wrote:
        > Looks like I let a [spam]message slip by.
        >
        > Generally, when a message comes in for moderation
        > (all new members
        > are moderated at first) if it is just a link to a
        > geocities webpage,
        > it contains a ton of pop-ups and potentially
        > spyware. I delete these
        > immediately and also ban the deliverer (these are
        > usually done by
        > bots so please excuse our autocratic endeavors in
        > banning spammers).
        >
        > I just did it again, but this time instead of
        > hitting "delete", I
        > accidentally hit "approve", which allowed this
        > message thru to
        > everyone. If you get a message with only a link to a
        > geocities
        > account, I reccomend deletion of the message.
        >
        > I try and keep the signal to noise ratio good around
        > here by pretty
        > much allowing any "conversation" even remotely
        > involving SCA and/
        > Newcomers to the organization and for the most part
        > don't edit
        > anything. I do however have to approve a ton of
        > messages and when
        > they are spam (pure spam, especially ones done by
        > bots, not
        > inadvertant messages by members) I try and make sure
        > nobody gets it.
        >
        > Sorry for letting one thru. Slip of the finger on
        > the ol mouse. I'm
        > sorry for any inconvenience.
        >
        > I now return you to your normal programming...
        >
        > Caius Livius Varus Germanicus, KSCA
        > ~AnTir~
        > (Moderator)

        =====
        Yours in Service,
        Dufgall, Son of Vinaldi,
        Principality of Gleann Abhann

        House Shadow Legion
        {sable, on a bend sinister argent three wolves courant sable}

        Clan of the Virtues
        {fieldless, on a bend sinister argent four ewes vert}

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree