Newcomers Moot

  • Tirloch O'Riordain
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 11, 2003
      Greetings,

      I know that this is a list that covers a vast area and multiple
      Kingdoms. But for those people that live in or around Madison Wi., we
      will be having a newcomers Moot on Sunday, Nov. 23 from 6:00 - 10:00pm.

      We will have our guild heads speak about thier crafts, a general
      introduction to the SCA, and a Baronial Court.

      Loaner garb and loaner feast gear will be available.

      Contact me at tirloch@... if you would like directions or more
      information.

      Thanks.

      Tirloch
    • Tirloch O'Riordain
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 11, 2003
        Brian Cox wrote:

        > Greetings,
        > I am a newcomer to the SCA and I'm working on a Japanese persona.
        > I'm a fledgling "stick jockey" and I want some Samurai style armor.
        > However, all the info I've found pertains to armoring patterns or
        > museum quality armor that costs WAY too much. Does anyone know where
        > to find samurai style armor that I won't have to mortgage my house to
        > buy?
        > Thanks much,
        > Brian Cox

        Our Barony has several japenese personas, one is a Knight, and one is a
        master armoror. With your permission I will forward your email to them
        as I think they would be great resources for this.

        Tirloch
      • Dufgall vinaldasson
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 11, 2003
          well, I dont know much about japanese armor, but if
          you wann make something out of leather, contact your
          local armorer or leatherworker. It's how i got my
          armor..

          ask them if they might be willing to donate or sell a
          box of scrap leather and possibly teach you a little
          bit about making your armor. Personaly, i took a look
          at lamelar on the web and made that myself. but now
          that ive had a good look at scale i'm going to rip it
          appart and do that. (ive been told that while my armor
          looks good, i need to add more plates and this might
          be the way to do that)

          even if this doesnt result in the armor youre looking
          for, it will get you on the field while you can work
          on the other armor. remember, a fighter on the field
          with ugly armor is better than a fighter on the
          sidelines still working on the perfect armor.

          --- chemistbb3 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          > First, do you really want to buy the armor? OK,
          > helms are tough for
          > most people to make because of the tools needed.
          > The rest can be
          > fairly easy to do once you get the patterns and the
          > material.
          > Material of construction choice is the biggie. What
          > so you want it
          > made out of?
          >
          > William
          >
          > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Cox"
          > <hitman142002@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > Greetings,
          > > I am a newcomer to the SCA and I'm working on a
          > Japanese persona.
          > > I'm a fledgling "stick jockey" and I want some
          > Samurai style armor.
          > > However, all the info I've found pertains to
          > armoring patterns or
          > > museum quality armor that costs WAY too much. Does
          > anyone know
          > where
          > > to find samurai style armor that I won't have to
          > mortgage my house
          > > buy?
          > > Thanks much,
          > > Brian Cox

          =====
          Yours in Service,
          Dufgall, Son of Vinaldi,
          Principality of Gleann Abhann

          House Shadow Legion
          {sable, on a bend sinister argent three wolves courant sable}

          Clan of the Virtues
          {fieldless, on a bend sinister argent four ewes vert}

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
        • RhysAB@nycap.rr.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 11, 2003
            I know here in the Barony of Concordia of the Snows, East Kingdom, we have
            a few fighters who have had or do have japanese persona. Our knight
            marshal has a suit of armor made of plates woven together with multiple
            colors of hockey lacing to make it into the style you are looking for.

            For pictures (not very good quality) you can go to the link below
            http://concordia.teamcamelot.com/ceilidh.html
            it is a page from Concordia's web site. He's the guy in black with red
            shoulders. His shoulders are black plastic with so much red lacing in
            them you can barely tell what they are. It's a fairly inexpensive set of
            armor but highly time consuming to lace everything.

            Just an idea,
            Rhys

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 11, 2003
              I cant help, but try out the yahoo [rawmetal] group. it is set up for new
              fighters, and could possibly help.

            • marine1361
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 11, 2003
                If you look at most historical info, their Aromor was made out of
                Water Buffalo Hide, so the choice would be obvious

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, chemistbb3 <no_reply@y...>