Re: Handbook?

  • Ld. Dylan
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2003
      I, too feel that the Knowne Worlde Handbook is well worth the
      price! One can often find answers to obscure questions within the
      bounty which it provides, as well as simply being VERY good reading
      on a rainy afternoon. It can also spark ideas which might not
      otherwise come to you. Go For It!

      Dylan
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 2, 2003
        In a message dated 11/2/2003 10:52:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:
        <<I, too feel that the Knowne Worlde Handbook is well worth the
        <<price! One can often find answers to obscure questions within the
        <<bounty which it provides, as well as simply being VERY good reading
        <<on a rainy afternoon. It can also spark ideas which might not
        <<otherwise come to you. Go For It!
        I agree with everyone else that it's a good buy, and after 14 years I still
        pull it out once in a while to answer questions or just to do a bit of light
        reading in it.

        Just be aware that some of the material is *extremely* dated (it hasn't been
        revised in more than 15 years), such as the number of kingdoms, some of the
        terminology, and a lot of the very basic articles such as the ones on medieval
        food (which really doesn't address the topic very well at all), and the basic
        garb section (one article of which was originally suggestions for the guests at
        the author's medieval wedding). On the other hand, the section on basic
        heraldry is excellent, as in general is the glossary, and the camping section can
        be invaluable for those who haven't done much camping before.

        Lancaster, PA

      • chemistbb3
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 2, 2003
          Glad to see you crop up again M'Lord Dylan!!! Long time no hear.

          William

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Ld. Dylan"
          <lddylanmacleod@y...> wrote:
          > I, too feel that the Knowne Worlde Handbook is well worth the
          > price! One can often find answers to obscure questions within the
          > bounty which it provides, as well as simply being VERY good reading
          > on a rainy afternoon. It can also spark ideas which might not
          > otherwise come to you. Go For It!
          >
          > Dylan
        • Tobin Richard
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 23, 2003
            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sorcha <sorcha@s...> wrote:
            > I was just wondering if it was worth buying the Knowne World Handbook
            for
            > $16. Will it help answer alot of the basic questions I (and any
            newcomer)
            > might have, like what is a Pennsic and how does one become a
            > Knight/Prince/King/Baron etc...?
            >
            > thanks-
            >
            > Sorcha

            I've only read a few sections of the Knowne World Handbook but I'd been
            in the SCA for a while before that and didn't find it to be all that
            impressive (not that I wouldn't buy a copy if one was going cheaply).

            There are some projects underway to create new/updated Knowne World
            Handbook type things. I think there is one in Lochac (Australia) but I
            haven't heard anything about it for a while.

            An online attempt at creating a Knowne World handbook type reference
            can be found at http://www.sca.org.au/cunnan/ (thats something of a
            plug since its a project I'm heavily involved in).

            Tobin Richard, Seneschal of the College of St. Monica, Webminister of
            the Canton of
            Krae Glas.