Re: [SCA Newcomers] Handbook?

  • Bill Toscano
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 31, 2003
      Sorcha: I was going to recommend this to you.

      At present, we have only one copy. I like to keep a couple around and pass
      them along.

      Yes, it's worth it.

      Liam
    • Ld. Dylan
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2003
        I, too feel that the Knowne Worlde Handbook is well worth the
        price! One can often find answers to obscure questions within the
        bounty which it provides, as well as simply being VERY good reading
        on a rainy afternoon. It can also spark ideas which might not
        otherwise come to you. Go For It!

        Dylan
      • Ld. Dylan

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 2, 2003
            In a message dated 11/2/2003 10:52:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:
            <<I, too feel that the Knowne Worlde Handbook is well worth the
            <<price! One can often find answers to obscure questions within the
            <<bounty which it provides, as well as simply being VERY good reading
            <<on a rainy afternoon. It can also spark ideas which might not
            <<otherwise come to you. Go For It!
            I agree with everyone else that it's a good buy, and after 14 years I still
            pull it out once in a while to answer questions or just to do a bit of light
            reading in it.

            Just be aware that some of the material is *extremely* dated (it hasn't been
            revised in more than 15 years), such as the number of kingdoms, some of the
            terminology, and a lot of the very basic articles such as the ones on medieval
            food (which really doesn't address the topic very well at all), and the basic
            garb section (one article of which was originally suggestions for the guests at
            the author's medieval wedding). On the other hand, the section on basic
            heraldry is excellent, as in general is the glossary, and the camping section can
            be invaluable for those who haven't done much camping before.

            Lancaster, PA

          • chemistbb3
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 2, 2003
              Glad to see you crop up again M'Lord Dylan!!! Long time no hear.

              William

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Ld. Dylan"
              <lddylanmacleod@y...> wrote:
              > I, too feel that the Knowne Worlde Handbook is well worth the
              > price! One can often find answers to obscure questions within the
              > bounty which it provides, as well as simply being VERY good reading
              > on a rainy afternoon. It can also spark ideas which might not
              > otherwise come to you. Go For It!
              >
              > Dylan
            • Tobin Richard
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 23, 2003
                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sorcha <sorcha@s...> wrote:
                > I was just wondering if it was worth buying the Knowne World Handbook
                for
                > $16. Will it help answer alot of the basic questions I (and any
                newcomer)
                > might have, like what is a Pennsic and how does one become a
                > Knight/Prince/King/Baron etc...?
                >
                > thanks-
                >
                > Sorcha

                I've only read a few sections of the Knowne World Handbook but I'd been
                in the SCA for a while before that and didn't find it to be all that
                impressive (not that I wouldn't buy a copy if one was going cheaply).

                There are some projects underway to create new/updated Knowne World
                Handbook type things. I think there is one in Lochac (Australia) but I
                haven't heard anything about it for a while.

                An online attempt at creating a Knowne World handbook type reference
                can be found at http://www.sca.org.au/cunnan/ (thats something of a
                plug since its a project I'm heavily involved in).

                Tobin Richard, Seneschal of the College of St. Monica, Webminister of
                the Canton of
                Krae Glas.