gold key

  • Nicole R
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 23, 2003
      Hi everyone,
      First, Martinus, I kinda like that abrivation. :)
      Second, Justin, since you are the new groups person for the kingdom I live in, I am looking at the posibility of voulnteering for the postion of gold key for a new incipent canton ( I can never get the spelling of chatoline right) and am still fairly new to the SCA I don't know exactly what is supposed to be involved and was hopeing that you could clairify this for me. I can't seem to find much in the way of a handbook or even sheet on it and I have heard everything from orgainzing alot of events in every detail is one of the responsiblilities to that that is someones elses job (aka the seneschal's) to that I am just the one responsible for introducing new commers and directing them to the proper people. I know that it falls somewhere in between, but would like to figure out exactly where before I get helium hand in the matter. Any help or direction you could give would be great.
      Thanks,
      Nicole

    • sca_celt
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 23, 2003
        Until Justin answers you, I have added into the Files Section of
        this List a copy of the Handout I used when I taught the
        Chatelain(e)s class at Pennsic (and a few other places).

        Perhaps it can help you.

        Rayne

        > Hi everyone,
        > First, Martinus, I kinda like that abrivation. :)
        > Second, Justin, since you are the new groups person for the kingdom
        I live in, I am looking at the posibility of voulnteering for the
        postion of gold key for a new incipent canton ( I can never get the
        spelling of chatoline right) and am still fairly new to the SCA I
        don't know exactly what is supposed to be involved and was hopeing
        that you could clairify this for me. I can't seem to find much in the
        way of a handbook or even sheet on it...(parts snipped
        Any help or direction you could give would be great.
        > Thanks,
        > Nicole
      • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 24, 2003
          On Thursday 23 October 2003 20:31, Nicole R wrote:
          > Second, Justin, since you are the new groups person for the kingdom I live
          > in, I am looking at the posibility of voulnteering for the postion of gold
          > key for a new incipent canton ( I can never get the spelling of chatoline
          > right) and am still fairly new to the SCA I don't know exactly what is
          > supposed to be involved and was hopeing that you could clairify this for
          > me.

          Hi, Nicole!

          I'll be glad to do so, but right now I'm about to head out the door on our
          way to Crown Tourney, and I'm running late. I'll mark your message as high
          priority in my email queue, and will answer in more detail when I return
          on Monday. Sorry for the delay. :-)

          New Groups Deputy to the Middle Kingdom Seneschal

          justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
        • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 31, 2003
            On Thursday 23 October 2003 20:31, Nicole R wrote:
            > Second, Justin, since you are the new groups person for the kingdom I live
            > in, I am looking at the posibility of voulnteering for the postion of gold
            > key for a new incipent canton ( I can never get the spelling of chatoline
            > right) and am still fairly new to the SCA I don't know exactly what is
            > supposed to be involved and was hopeing that you could clairify this for
            > me. I can't seem to find much in the way of a handbook or even sheet on it
            > and I have heard everything from orgainzing alot of events in every detail
            > is one of the responsiblilities to that that is someones elses job (aka the
            > seneschal's) to that I am just the one responsible for introducing new
            > commers and directing them to the proper people. I know that it falls
            > somewhere in between, but would like to figure out exactly where before I
            > get helium hand in the matter. Any help or direction you could give would
            > be great.

            Good morning, Nicole!

            I don't usually quote entire messages in my replies (bad netiquette), but in
            this case I will since it's been a few days since you wrote this. I apologize
            for the delayed response.

            The job of Chatelaine (or Chatelain, if male) is more like the second option
            in your note than like the first. It is *not* their job to organize events
            and demos entirely by themselves. The Chatelain(e)'s job varies from group
            to group, but basically consists of:

            * At shire meetings, be ready to introduce yourself and other shire members
            to any newcomers who visit the meeting for the first (or maybe second)
            time. My local shire has a round-robin brief introduction at any meeting
            where newcomers are present, to help them get acquainted. Exactly how you
            do the introductions is up to you and your Seneschal, and may vary depending
            on how outgoing or shy the new people are at any given meeting.

            * Answer basic questions for new members, such as "Can I bring my children
            to an event?" and "What is the difference between a Baron and a Prince?".
            Find the right people to help them with more specific things, such as
            making or buying their first garb and feast gear. In some cases, this
            may consist simply of introducing them to another officer, then *following
            up* to make sure that officer doesn't drop the ball. (If someone says,
            "The fighting is cool! How do I get into that?" you need only introduce
            them to the group's Marshal. He or she will take it from there. Likewise
            with the MOAS for arts and sciences questions, and so on.)

            * In some (most?) shires, the Chatelain(e) is also the person who maintains
            the Gold Key loaner garb and gear. It is *not* his/her job to provide this
            material -- that's a shared responsibility of the whole group -- but only
            to keep an inventory, track who has what, and help make sure it stays
            clean and in good repair. Some groups have a Quartermaster, or a Deputy
            Chatelain(e) [often called Gold Key!] who does only this job.

            * At demos, come prepared with SCA flyers and handouts, and possibly with
            copies of your shire's newsletter. You do have a Chronicler, right? A
            copy of your newsletter given to a visitor who seems very interested in
            joining the group -- as opposed to just watching the show -- can be the
            thing that really shows them that you're an active and fun shire. There are
            pamphlets and things that you can download from the sca.org web site, and
            that you can order from the SCA Stock Clerk over the web also, or you can
            print up your own (ask your Seneschal to approve the content of these
            before making copies).

            * In an informal way, help new people stay clear of pitfalls. For instance,
            if you have a household in your group that recruits very aggressively,
            you may want to counsel new members to get to know people for a few
            months before committing to any specific alliances or households. This is
            something you'll not find written in a book anywhere, and you have to
            approach this aspect of the job with maturity and prudence, as well as
            moderation. Work closely with your other officers in this regard.

            * If people want to join the SCA, help them obtain and fill out membership
            forms, or direct them to the web URL to join online.

            I hope this explanation is helpful. I've never been a Chatelain myself, though
            it's a job I would like to do some day when I have the time. I do consider
            the Chatelain(e) to be a very important position, for two reasons. First, in
            any group, recruiting new people is important because existing members will
            occasionally attrit out due to moving away, job changes, finances, or simply
            getting tired of the hobby. Second, as a group's populace matures in the
            SCA, you will find that your people are recruited to offices at higher levels.
            You need new incoming members to fill the local offices. This is the situation
            in my local shire right now. We're only 9 years old as a group, but we already
            have among our populace: the Middle Kingdom Chronicler (my wife, Milica);
            the MK Calendar Secretary (Francesca); a Baronial Seneschal (Ailith); a
            Baronial Exchequer (Genovefa); a Baronial Chronicler (Gregor); the MK New
            Groups Deputy, Database Deputy, and Emergency Seneschal Deputy (all three
            of these are me); and until very recently, a Regional Seneschal (Catriona).
            Having that many people busy at higher levels leaves a gap at the local level,
            and it's great that we have some fine newer (1-2 years) members who have
            stepped up to take on some of the local offices. In time, they will also
            be asked to serve in other areas, and hopefully we'll have still more new
            people to fill the void. This is how an organization grows, over the long
            term.

            The good news for you is that Chatelaine is not only a job that *can* be held
            by a relative newcomer to the SCA, but in many ways it is ideal for exactly
            that type of person. Who can better relate to the needs of newcomers, than
            a person who only recently *was* one? You need to know enough to answer the
            basic questions, but you don't have to know *everything* -- just know where
            to find out, or to whom to refer people. The Chatelaine's office is a great
            choice for a first-time officer, as the formal reporting is not extensive and
            the job is flexible enough that you can make it what you want it to be,
            within fairly broad parameters of SCA policy. So my advice, if you're thinking
            about volunteering, is, "Dive right in!"

            Yours in glad service to the Middle Kingdom,

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 31, 2003
              On Thursday 23 October 2003 20:31, Nicole R wrote:
              > Second, Justin, since you are the new groups person for the kingdom I live
              > in, I am looking at the posibility of voulnteering for the postion of gold
              > key for a new incipent canton

              By the way, which one? Let's make sure that I have your group in my records
              as New Groups Deputy. If not, we need to fix that. :-)

              New Groups Deputy to the Middle Kingdom Seneschal

              justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
            • Sorcha
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 31, 2003
                I was just wondering if it was worth buying the Knowne World Handbook for
                $16. Will it help answer alot of the basic questions I (and any newcomer)
                might have, like what is a Pennsic and how does one become a
                Knight/Prince/King/Baron etc...?

                thanks-

                Sorcha
              • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 31, 2003
                  On Friday 31 October 2003 16:11, Susan Farmer wrote:
                  > I happen to think that the Knowne World Handbook is well worth the
                  > money -- and not just for new folks. I still refer to mine, and I've
                  > been a member on and off since dirt!

                  I agree completely. They also have a loose-leaf version, to which you can
                  add other materials of your choice. Downside is that it's a little less
                  durable and portable that way.

                  fesswise reversed sable.

                • Susan Farmer
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 31, 2003

                    > I was just wondering if it was worth buying the Knowne World Handbook for
                    > $16. Will it help answer alot of the basic questions I (and any newcomer)
                    > might have, like what is a Pennsic and how does one become a
                    > Knight/Prince/King/Baron etc...?

                    I happen to think that the Knowne World Handbook is well worth the
                    money -- and not just for new folks. I still refer to mine, and I've
                    been a member on and off since dirt!

                    Jerusha
                  • Bill Toscano
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 31, 2003
                      Sorcha: I was going to recommend this to you.

                      At present, we have only one copy. I like to keep a couple around and pass
                      them along.

                      Yes, it's worth it.

                      Liam
                    • Ld. Dylan
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 1, 2003
                        I, too feel that the Knowne Worlde Handbook is well worth the
                        price! One can often find answers to obscure questions within the
                        bounty which it provides, as well as simply being VERY good reading
                        on a rainy afternoon. It can also spark ideas which might not
                        otherwise come to you. Go For It!

                        Dylan
                      • Ld. Dylan

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 2, 2003
                            In a message dated 11/2/2003 10:52:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                            scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:
                            <<I, too feel that the Knowne Worlde Handbook is well worth the
                            <<price! One can often find answers to obscure questions within the
                            <<bounty which it provides, as well as simply being VERY good reading
                            <<on a rainy afternoon. It can also spark ideas which might not
                            <<otherwise come to you. Go For It!
                            I agree with everyone else that it's a good buy, and after 14 years I still
                            pull it out once in a while to answer questions or just to do a bit of light
                            reading in it.

                            Just be aware that some of the material is *extremely* dated (it hasn't been
                            revised in more than 15 years), such as the number of kingdoms, some of the
                            terminology, and a lot of the very basic articles such as the ones on medieval
                            food (which really doesn't address the topic very well at all), and the basic
                            garb section (one article of which was originally suggestions for the guests at
                            the author's medieval wedding). On the other hand, the section on basic
                            heraldry is excellent, as in general is the glossary, and the camping section can
                            be invaluable for those who haven't done much camping before.

                            Lancaster, PA

                          • chemistbb3
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 2, 2003
                              Glad to see you crop up again M'Lord Dylan!!! Long time no hear.

                              William

                              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Ld. Dylan"
                              <lddylanmacleod@y...> wrote:
                              > I, too feel that the Knowne Worlde Handbook is well worth the
                              > price! One can often find answers to obscure questions within the
                              > bounty which it provides, as well as simply being VERY good reading
                              > on a rainy afternoon. It can also spark ideas which might not
                              > otherwise come to you. Go For It!
                              >
                              > Dylan
                            • Tobin Richard
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 23, 2003
                                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sorcha <sorcha@s...> wrote:
                                > I was just wondering if it was worth buying the Knowne World Handbook
                                for
                                > $16. Will it help answer alot of the basic questions I (and any
                                newcomer)
                                > might have, like what is a Pennsic and how does one become a
                                > Knight/Prince/King/Baron etc...?
                                >
                                > thanks-
                                >
                                > Sorcha

                                I've only read a few sections of the Knowne World Handbook but I'd been
                                in the SCA for a while before that and didn't find it to be all that
                                impressive (not that I wouldn't buy a copy if one was going cheaply).

                                There are some projects underway to create new/updated Knowne World
                                Handbook type things. I think there is one in Lochac (Australia) but I
                                haven't heard anything about it for a while.

                                An online attempt at creating a Knowne World handbook type reference
                                can be found at http://www.sca.org.au/cunnan/ (thats something of a
                                plug since its a project I'm heavily involved in).

                                Tobin Richard, Seneschal of the College of St. Monica, Webminister of
                                the Canton of
                                Krae Glas.