Where do I go?

  • Deb
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 11, 2003
      Greetings,

      I live 60 miles West of the nundane city of Madison, WI. I know I am
      in the Principality, newly become Kingdom, of Northshield, but that
      is all I know. Is there anyone from my area that reads this board
      and can tell me which group within the Kingdom is closest to me? I
      would like to get involved in some training, but I can't travel far
      or afford much, if anything, in the way of equipment. Is there any
      hope for me, or shall I just continue dreaming of a chance to join
      the Society?

      Thank you for your time.

      Deb (working on a name and personna, definitely warrior, probably
      Irish)
    • Dufgall vinaldasson
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 11, 2003
        I cannot help you with the groups and all, but just because you cant afford the stuff doesnt mean that you cannot play... Youre more than welcome to go to events in Mundane clothing... someone might even lend you some garb. work for merchants while youre at an event. they might help hook you up with stuf too...

        nearly everything that i have that is reated to the SCA was given or cheaply made... except for my cloak, but that wasnt baught comercialy either...

        on clothing, altogether ive spent probably 20 bucks... I have 1 brown tunic, one velveteen and a nice green and gold. my tent is a pup-tent. my armor is made of scraps of leather that was given to me... someone even gave me a spear. If you can afford 20-50 dollars a month plus event fees, you can have some pretty nice stuff... and by the way, consider yourself lucky if you have a group near you... the nearest one to me is an hour and a half, in 3 direstions, but i still play.

        Deb <chrystol@...> wrote:
        Greetings,

        I live 60 miles West of the nundane city of Madison, WI. I know I am
        in the Principality, newly become Kingdom, of Northshield, but that
        is all I know. Is there anyone from my area that reads this board
        and can tell me which group within the Kingdom is closest to me? I
        would like to get involved in some training, but I can't travel far
        or afford much, if anything, in the way of equipment. Is there any
        hope for me, or shall I just continue dreaming of a chance to join
        the Society?

        Thank you for your time.

        Deb (working on a name and personna, definitely warrior, probably
        Irish)
        <KABOOM>

        Yours in Service,
        Dufgall Vinaldasson
        Princepality of Gleann Abhann

        "Stop Ram Oppression!"

      • Tirloch Ainmire O'Riordain
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 11, 2003
          Deb wrote:

          > Greetings,
          >
          > I live 60 miles West of the nundane city of Madison, WI.

          Responded to privately.

          Tirloch O'Riordain
          Chatelaine for Jararvellir (Madison, WI.)
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 12, 2003
            In a message dated 10/12/2003 8:23:30 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:
            I cannot help you with the groups and all, but just because you cant afford
            the stuff doesnt mean that you cannot play... Youre more than welcome to go to
            events in Mundane clothing...
            Dufgall, I'm not sure if you actually meant what you wrote here.

            One of the few rules that the SCA has about events is that *everyone*
            attending an event has to wear an attempt at clothing from before 1600. Notice it
            doesn't say accurate clothing, but at least an attempt is required. So saying
            that you can "go to events in Mundane clothing" is not correct, except in the
            special case of attending a demo, where the whole purpose is to show off the
            SCA to non-members. Of course in the case of a demo there would be expected to
            be a large number of people in mundane clothes about.

            However, it is correct to say that one can *arrive* at an event in mundane
            clothes. Many groups have either loaner clothes belonging to the group or
            people who are willing to loan their own spare clothes for newcomers to wear at
            events. So you can arrive in mundane clothes and put on borrowed period clothes
            after you arrive. It's usually best to contact someone and let them know
            ahead of time that you would need this, however.
            someone might even lend you some garb. work for merchants while youre at an
            event. they might help hook you up with stuf too...
            Working for merchants can help to get you paid in garb, but you still need
            something to wear while you are working.
            Other ways to get garb include barter. Most SCAdians are quite content to
            trade, say, your help at an event minding their children, or helping them set up
            their camp, or the product of something that you can make (SCA-related or
            not) in exchange for making you clothes. Some folks who are willing to make
            clothing for you will charge you only for the fabric , or allow you to provide the
            fabric and they'll do the work. Or, as my husband does sometimes, allow you
            to pay in installments for something you've already received. Or, if you are
            interested in learning how to make your own garb, then if you bring the
            fabric, often people will be willing to teach you how to sew for free. Or, if
            people have made new stuff and don't need/want the old stuff anymore, they might
            give it to you. I've done that with an old gown that doesn't fit me anymore;
            given it entire to a student who borrowed it and whom it fit perfectly.

            The SCA can be a very cheap hobby, and in fact I have an website for you to
            look at (now where did I put that...?)
            The SCA without Breaking the Bank
            http://www.geocities.com/yourstruly/sca.html

            Welcome, and have fun in what can be one of the cheaper hobbies around (so
            speaks the woman whose husband's other hobbies include scuba diving, model
            trains, and radio-controlled helicopters...)

            Lancaster, PA

          • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 12, 2003
              On Saturday 11 October 2003 10:46, Deb wrote:
              > but I can't travel far
              > or afford much, if anything, in the way of equipment. Is there any
              > hope for me, or shall I just continue dreaming of a chance to join
              > the Society?

              Another garb option: Watch for a shire or barony sewing bee. My local
              group is hosting one today, as a matter of fact. Bring about $6-7 worth of
              raw fabric, leave with a perfectly acceptable T-tunic. :-)

              And, as others have pointed out, barter is your friend. Perhaps a garb
              merchant would trade you a T-tunic in exchange for your help schlepping
              stuff and running the booth at an event. Or someone in your shire will
              help you make garb in exchange for your helping them with something that
              you know how to do. Maybe even a modern skill on your part -- I have
              bartered modern woodworking work in exchange for garb. :-)

              Start with your local shire, and the Chatelain(e) who has already replied
              to you. They'll be very likely to be able to help you find sources.

              fesswise reversed sable.

            • pdruss@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 12, 2003
                In a message dated 10/12/03 8:23:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

                > I cannot help you with the groups and all, but just because you cant afford
                > the stuff doesnt mean that you cannot play... Youre more than welcome to go
                > to events in Mundane clothing...

                I not trying to be rude, but SCA law said that "yes you do have to wear garb
                to an event". It doesn't have be the best in the world, but it has to be your
                best ATTEMPT at pre-17 century garb.

                There are lots of sca pages online that tell you how to make basis garb, we
                all started there.

                Most SCAgroups have garb to lent to newcomers called "Gold Key". Even if
                there is not a group in your area, you can call the autocrat of the event and
                they can get you in touch with a local group with "Gold Key" and you can arrange
                to meet them at the event and borrow the garb there.

                Tamara

              • Chris Croken
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 12, 2003
                  Greetings, and welcome to the society,

                  Being from the KIngdom of An Tir, I cannot help you much with your local
                  groups, but may be able to offer some advice on garb and gear.
                  Most events have someting called gold key, usually at or near the gate,
                  which is where tou can get some loaner garb to wear at that event, just ask
                  at gate.
                  For getting your own garb, if you sew, then your only cost is for the
                  material, if you don't, most events have merchants you can buy from.
                  Otherwise, when you find a local group, you may be able to come to an
                  arrangement with a member there to loan/sell/make you garb, or help you
                  learn to make your own.
                  Looking for feast gear? Almost my entire collection is from garage/yard
                  sales, cheap yet quite effective.
                  And looks pretty reasonable too.(they can also be a cheap place to find
                  fabric for garb.) Flea markets are a good place to look too.

                  I hope this helps a little bit. Good luck.
                  In Service,
                  Robert of Wyvern's Veldt

                  "I stood,
                  Among them, but not of them; in a shroud
                  Of thoughts which were not their thoughts"
                  -Lord Byron

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 13, 2003
                    On Sunday 12 October 2003 17:23, Chris Croken wrote:
                    > Looking for feast gear? Almost my entire collection is from garage/yard
                    > sales, cheap yet quite effective.

                    Second-hand stores such as Goodwill are an excellent place to get wooden
                    bowls and plates, and medieval-looking novelty silverware. A member of my
                    shire has quite a collection that he has acquired in this way.

                    fesswise reversed sable.