Starting a household

  • pdruss@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2003
      In a message dated 10/7/03 8:30:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > all you need is 5 paid members to start a household

      Households are not an official part of the SCA. Therefore, you don't have to
      have any paid SCA members at all in your household.

      It takes 5 paid members to start a Shire. Shires are official groups in the
      SCA. Totally different.

      Households can be difference things. It can be just a group of friends that
      like to hang out together and camp at events can want a common name to call
      themselves.

      Or it can be headed up by someone with lots of experience in a certain field
      like a Knight, Pelican or Laurel and they can require members of their
      households to perform certain tasks. But it doesn't have to be headed by a Peer at
      all. If you can gather people around you and get them to agree to follow you,
      you can head a household. But it is good to have a common goal for the group.

      Like in a fighting household headed by a Knight, he might require all his
      people to fight at Kingdom events and Interkingdom wars under his banner.

      A Service household headed by a Pelican might require her people to hold
      offices in their local groups and do a lot of service at events.

      A Teaching household headed by a Laurel, might require his people to enter
      all the Arts & Science competitions and to teach their art to others.

      It could be a household just based on a common interest that all the members
      have like a having pirate persona.

      Tamara >^..^<
      household less in Trimaris

    • Dufgall vinaldasson
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2003
        well now i have to figure out a theme or something for
        my household... I mean, i'm the only one even playing
        with the SCA, and i'm trying to get them all involved
        and... Ugh!

        Dufgall

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7, 2003
          There is a "households" group at:
          which may have the information you are seeking.

          Liadan an Sionnach
          House Fuil Geleach
          Shire of Lyndhaven
          East Kingdom