Re: [SCA Newcomers] Starting a household

  • Tirloch Ainmire O'Riordain
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 7, 2003
      There are no requirements that state that households need a certain
      number, or that they need to be paid members. There may be some
      restrictions in certain Kingdoms that require a certain number of paid
      members to be an "official" household or guild, but if you do not seek a
      charter than that should not be a problem. I believe that Tiberius may
      have been using the 5 paid members requirement that new groups need to
      form.

      Tirloch

      Dufgall vinaldasson wrote:

      > ok... I'm in a dead zone for shires i beleive... about an hour and a
      > half to the nearest group...
      >
      > but basicly i could get a few friends to get memberships, get my
      > decice registered and claim us all as a household, have the household
      > sponsor all the "interest building events" like fighter practices and
      > such, and then when we get enough extra members, petition to be a
      > canton or something?
      >
      > Ive been in the SCA since Gulfwars 11, but have been to a total of 6
      > events. I know enough to get by, but not much more
      >
      > Dufgall
      >
      > Tiberius <Tiberius@...> wrote:
      > all you need is 5 paid members to start a household

    • Dave & Megan

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 7, 2003
          Your mileage may vary by Kingdom...(Different Kingdoms have different
          rules.)

          Basicly a household is a group of people that hang out together for
          any number of reasons. Yes, they may become a very structured and
          formalized group that may transend borders, but the basic definition
          holds. They may or may not be "officially" recognized by the SCA.

          Canton, Shires, Colleges, and Baronies are always SCA recognized
          organized groups. As such, they are governed by Society and Kingdom
          Law. They have defined rights, duties and requirements as defined by
          their status.

          But take heart, you do not have to wade through the morass alone!!!!

          Contact your Kingdom Seneshal. One of their duties (but see my first
          statement!) is to help establish new groups with in the Kingdom.
          Amoung the things that can occur is getting someone to you to help
          you get organized and help walk you all the red tape that may be
          thrown your way.

          Hope this helps.

          William

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave & Megan" <danhorn3@c...>
          wrote:
          > Sounds like a great idea. Become a household with your friends,
          and build up the paid memberships to start a formal group.
          > ok... I'm in a dead zone for shires i beleive... about an hour
          and a half to the nearest group...

          > but basicly i could get a few friends to get memberships, get my
          decice registered and claim us all as a household, have the household
          sponsor all the "interest building events" like fighter practices and
          such, and then when we get enough extra members, petition to be a
          canton or something?

          > Ive been in the SCA since Gulfwars 11, but have been to a total
          of 6 events. I know enough to get by, but not much more

          > Dufgall

        • Dufgall vinaldasson
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 7, 2003
            In Gleann Abhan, it's 5 people to be a college, 25 for
            a barony, and 10 for anything else.

            Dufgall

            --- Tirloch Ainmire O'Riordain <tirloch@...>

            http://shopping.yahoo.com
          • cascadia4@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 7, 2003
              I started a household with my friends. We really are now more adminstrative
              though, volunteering for duties when our Incipient College holds events, even
              volunteering in neighboring branches. Only one of us is currently a paid member
              (I will be joining him soon, so I can assume the office of Chronicler.)
              But, basicly, a household or clan is just a group of friends who wish to
              practice fighting together, or just do things as a group. You can have a rigid,
              structured household, or a loose, 'no one's in charge' thing. (this all holds
              true atleast in An Tir)
              Just be careful about titles!!!!! VERY CAREFUL!!! ( i.e., don't have a Master
              of the House, have a 'Head' or something, and for other offices, don't use
              master, use minister or something. (Master can be a very touchy thing, and can
              be taken as impersonating an awarded person).
              Hope this helps, i already see that alot of help has been given.

              In Service,
              Peter Marshal
              Chronicler-in-Training of Cranehaven
              Head of House Evergreen

            • Tiberius
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 7, 2003
                sorry was my tired mistake last night you need 5 members to start a shire or canton in a different Postal area