Re: [SCA Newcomers] Starting a household

  • Dufgall vinaldasson
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 7, 2003
      ok... I'm in a dead zone for shires i beleive... about an hour and a half to the nearest group...

      but basicly i could get a few friends to get memberships, get my decice registered and claim us all as a household, have the household sponsor all the "interest building events" like fighter practices and such, and then when we get enough extra members, petition to be a canton or something?

      Ive been in the SCA since Gulfwars 11, but have been to a total of 6 events. I know enough to get by, but not much more

      Dufgall

      all you need is 5 paid members to start a household
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 7, 2003
        There are no requirements that state that households need a certain
        number, or that they need to be paid members. There may be some
        restrictions in certain Kingdoms that require a certain number of paid
        members to be an "official" household or guild, but if you do not seek a
        charter than that should not be a problem. I believe that Tiberius may
        have been using the 5 paid members requirement that new groups need to
        form.

        Tirloch

        Dufgall vinaldasson wrote:

        > ok... I'm in a dead zone for shires i beleive... about an hour and a
        > half to the nearest group...
        >
        > but basicly i could get a few friends to get memberships, get my
        > decice registered and claim us all as a household, have the household
        > sponsor all the "interest building events" like fighter practices and
        > such, and then when we get enough extra members, petition to be a
        > canton or something?
        >
        > Ive been in the SCA since Gulfwars 11, but have been to a total of 6
        > events. I know enough to get by, but not much more
        >
        > Dufgall
        >
        > Tiberius <Tiberius@...> wrote:
        > all you need is 5 paid members to start a household

      • Dave & Megan

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 7, 2003
            Your mileage may vary by Kingdom...(Different Kingdoms have different
            rules.)

            Basicly a household is a group of people that hang out together for
            any number of reasons. Yes, they may become a very structured and
            formalized group that may transend borders, but the basic definition
            holds. They may or may not be "officially" recognized by the SCA.

            Canton, Shires, Colleges, and Baronies are always SCA recognized
            organized groups. As such, they are governed by Society and Kingdom
            Law. They have defined rights, duties and requirements as defined by
            their status.

            But take heart, you do not have to wade through the morass alone!!!!

            Contact your Kingdom Seneshal. One of their duties (but see my first
            statement!) is to help establish new groups with in the Kingdom.
            Amoung the things that can occur is getting someone to you to help
            you get organized and help walk you all the red tape that may be
            thrown your way.

            Hope this helps.

            William

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave & Megan" <danhorn3@c...>
            wrote:
            > Sounds like a great idea. Become a household with your friends,
            and build up the paid memberships to start a formal group.
            > ok... I'm in a dead zone for shires i beleive... about an hour
            and a half to the nearest group...

            > but basicly i could get a few friends to get memberships, get my
            decice registered and claim us all as a household, have the household
            sponsor all the "interest building events" like fighter practices and
            such, and then when we get enough extra members, petition to be a
            canton or something?

            > Ive been in the SCA since Gulfwars 11, but have been to a total
            of 6 events. I know enough to get by, but not much more

            > Dufgall

          • Dufgall vinaldasson
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 7, 2003
              In Gleann Abhan, it's 5 people to be a college, 25 for
              a barony, and 10 for anything else.

              Dufgall

              --- Tirloch Ainmire O'Riordain <tirloch@...>

              http://shopping.yahoo.com
            • cascadia4@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 7, 2003
                I started a household with my friends. We really are now more adminstrative
                though, volunteering for duties when our Incipient College holds events, even
                volunteering in neighboring branches. Only one of us is currently a paid member
                (I will be joining him soon, so I can assume the office of Chronicler.)
                But, basicly, a household or clan is just a group of friends who wish to
                practice fighting together, or just do things as a group. You can have a rigid,
                structured household, or a loose, 'no one's in charge' thing. (this all holds
                true atleast in An Tir)
                Just be careful about titles!!!!! VERY CAREFUL!!! ( i.e., don't have a Master
                of the House, have a 'Head' or something, and for other offices, don't use
                master, use minister or something. (Master can be a very touchy thing, and can
                be taken as impersonating an awarded person).
                Hope this helps, i already see that alot of help has been given.

                In Service,
                Peter Marshal
                Chronicler-in-Training of Cranehaven
                Head of House Evergreen

              • Tiberius
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 7, 2003
                  sorry was my tired mistake last night you need 5 members to start a shire or canton in a different Postal area
                  Based on this answer, I would say, depends on where you are from. To my knowledge, you don't really need any paid members, just get your friends together and say you are a household. It is nice to be paid members because then you get the perks (I.e. discounts at events) but it isn't really a requirement.

                  .