Re: [SCA Newcomers] Starting a household

  • Tirloch Ainmire O'Riordain
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2003
      Dufgall vinaldasson wrote:

      > What exactly are the requirements for starting a household? I mean,
      > the peers seem to make a big deal out of it and all, and I was just
      > wondering... Can anyone start a household, do you have to be a
      > lord/lady or what?

      There are no requirements to start a household. A household is merely a
      group of individuals with a similar interest that have formed a group
      with themselves. For a peer, their household is the collection of
      family, friends, and apprentices (or squires, protégés, etc.). I think
      that the peers you are speaking of that "make a big deal out of it" are
      probably Knight's households. In a Knight's household you have your
      squires, and your squire's sheildmen, and of course all the collected
      family of these people. It is usually not only a household, but a
      military group as well, so they usually make more of a show of it.

      There are also large households, that are collectives of households or
      individuals. The Dark Horde, is a Society wide household. It actually
      began thirty years ago in the Middle Kingdom, as sort of a counter
      culture movement within the Society because many people felt left out by
      all the Peer's and their households. They were actually recognized by
      the Society as a Great Household (though I never figured out what that
      actually means. Other households that have formed like them (meaning a
      collection of individuals not formed around a Peer) are the Rosaki (sp?)
      and the Moratu (sp?).

      So if you want to start a household there are no restrictions. All you
      need is a group of people who wish to support one another. Chose a name,
      and a theme if you want (celtic household, archery household, etc.) and
      then play. You can have a device for your household and banners and as
      much show as you want. You do not have to be a peer to do any of this. I
      should also note that you can even be in more than one household if you
      choose, and if the rules of the household you join allow this.

      Your Servant,

      Tirloch
    • pdruss@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2003
        In a message dated 10/7/03 8:30:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

        > all you need is 5 paid members to start a household

        Households are not an official part of the SCA. Therefore, you don't have to
        have any paid SCA members at all in your household.

        It takes 5 paid members to start a Shire. Shires are official groups in the
        SCA. Totally different.

        Households can be difference things. It can be just a group of friends that
        like to hang out together and camp at events can want a common name to call
        themselves.

        Or it can be headed up by someone with lots of experience in a certain field
        like a Knight, Pelican or Laurel and they can require members of their
        households to perform certain tasks. But it doesn't have to be headed by a Peer at
        all. If you can gather people around you and get them to agree to follow you,
        you can head a household. But it is good to have a common goal for the group.

        Like in a fighting household headed by a Knight, he might require all his
        people to fight at Kingdom events and Interkingdom wars under his banner.

        A Service household headed by a Pelican might require her people to hold
        offices in their local groups and do a lot of service at events.

        A Teaching household headed by a Laurel, might require his people to enter
        all the Arts & Science competitions and to teach their art to others.

        It could be a household just based on a common interest that all the members
        have like a having pirate persona.

        Tamara >^..^<
        household less in Trimaris

      • Dufgall vinaldasson
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7, 2003
          well now i have to figure out a theme or something for
          my household... I mean, i'm the only one even playing
          with the SCA, and i'm trying to get them all involved
          and... Ugh!

          Dufgall

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 7, 2003
            There is a "households" group at:
            which may have the information you are seeking.

            Liadan an Sionnach
            House Fuil Geleach
            Shire of Lyndhaven
            East Kingdom