Starting a household

  • Dufgall vinaldasson
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2003
      What exactly are the requirements for starting a household? I mean, the peers seem to make a big deal out of it and all, and I was just wondering... Can anyone start a household, do you have to be a lord/lady or what?

    • Tirloch Ainmire O'Riordain
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2003
        Dufgall vinaldasson wrote:

        > What exactly are the requirements for starting a household? I mean,
        > the peers seem to make a big deal out of it and all, and I was just
        > wondering... Can anyone start a household, do you have to be a
        > lord/lady or what?

        There are no requirements to start a household. A household is merely a
        group of individuals with a similar interest that have formed a group
        with themselves. For a peer, their household is the collection of
        family, friends, and apprentices (or squires, protégés, etc.). I think
        that the peers you are speaking of that "make a big deal out of it" are
        probably Knight's households. In a Knight's household you have your
        squires, and your squire's sheildmen, and of course all the collected
        family of these people. It is usually not only a household, but a
        military group as well, so they usually make more of a show of it.

        There are also large households, that are collectives of households or
        individuals. The Dark Horde, is a Society wide household. It actually
        began thirty years ago in the Middle Kingdom, as sort of a counter
        culture movement within the Society because many people felt left out by
        all the Peer's and their households. They were actually recognized by
        the Society as a Great Household (though I never figured out what that
        actually means. Other households that have formed like them (meaning a
        collection of individuals not formed around a Peer) are the Rosaki (sp?)
        and the Moratu (sp?).

        So if you want to start a household there are no restrictions. All you
        need is a group of people who wish to support one another. Chose a name,
        and a theme if you want (celtic household, archery household, etc.) and
        then play. You can have a device for your household and banners and as
        much show as you want. You do not have to be a peer to do any of this. I
        should also note that you can even be in more than one household if you
        choose, and if the rules of the household you join allow this.

        Your Servant,

        Tirloch
      • pdruss@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7, 2003
          In a message dated 10/7/03 8:30:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com writes:

          > all you need is 5 paid members to start a household

          Households are not an official part of the SCA. Therefore, you don't have to
          have any paid SCA members at all in your household.

          It takes 5 paid members to start a Shire. Shires are official groups in the
          SCA. Totally different.

          Households can be difference things. It can be just a group of friends that
          like to hang out together and camp at events can want a common name to call
          themselves.

          Or it can be headed up by someone with lots of experience in a certain field
          like a Knight, Pelican or Laurel and they can require members of their
          households to perform certain tasks. But it doesn't have to be headed by a Peer at
          all. If you can gather people around you and get them to agree to follow you,
          you can head a household. But it is good to have a common goal for the group.

          Like in a fighting household headed by a Knight, he might require all his
          people to fight at Kingdom events and Interkingdom wars under his banner.

          A Service household headed by a Pelican might require her people to hold
          offices in their local groups and do a lot of service at events.

          A Teaching household headed by a Laurel, might require his people to enter
          all the Arts & Science competitions and to teach their art to others.

          It could be a household just based on a common interest that all the members
          have like a having pirate persona.

          Tamara >^..^<
          household less in Trimaris

        • Dufgall vinaldasson
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 7, 2003
            well now i have to figure out a theme or something for
            my household... I mean, i'm the only one even playing
            with the SCA, and i'm trying to get them all involved
            and... Ugh!

            Dufgall

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 7, 2003
              There is a "households" group at:
              which may have the information you are seeking.

              Liadan an Sionnach
              House Fuil Geleach
              Shire of Lyndhaven
              East Kingdom