" Vie-Vot "

  • naspiritwalker
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2003
      To Whom It May Consern:

      I am a newcomer to the SCA and this kingdom

      " Ansterra ". As such I have a question

      regarding my experince here. At court the

      heralds often use a word which sounds like

      " Vie-Vot ". Could you please tell me what

      does " Vie-Vot " mean, what language

      does it come from, and how do you spell it.

      Thank you for your time,

      Lost And Confused
    • chemistbb3
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2003
        Vivat is the one used most often in Ansteorra, however, the current
        Crown perfers the recognized variation of "Long Live" in their
        presence, i.e. "Long Live The King", etc. Other Kingdom's use other
        expressions.

        William

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, naspiritwalker <no_reply@y...>
        wrote:
        > To Whom It May Consern:
        >
        > regarding my experince here. At court the
        >
        > heralds often use a word which sounds like
        >
        > " Vie-Vot ". Could you please tell me what
        >
        > does " Vie-Vot " mean, what language
        >
        > does it come from, and how do you spell it.
        >
        > Thank you for your time,
        >
        > Lost And Confused
      • merean
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2003
          And just to be picky, in case the question ever comes up, I've been
          told that in Latin the actual pronunciation is "Wee-wat." Now, if
          you say that out loud, it is pretty obvious why no one really speaks
          the word correctly. It sounds like little children using the
          bathroom. :)

          Mýrún in kyrra

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, chemistbb3 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Vivat is the one used most often in Ansteorra, however, the current
          > Crown perfers the recognized variation of "Long Live" in their
          > presence, i.e. "Long Live The King", etc. Other Kingdom's use
          other
          > expressions.
          >
          > William
          >
          > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, naspiritwalker <no_reply@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > To Whom It May Consern:
          > >
          > > regarding my experince here. At court the
          > >
          > > heralds often use a word which sounds like
          > >
          > > " Vie-Vot ". Could you please tell me what
          > >
          > > does " Vie-Vot " mean, what language
          > >
          > > does it come from, and how do you spell it.
          > >
          > > Thank you for your time,
          > >
          > > Lost And Confused
        • Anna von Silvenhain
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 7, 2003
            vivat = Singular, one person
            vivant = Plural, many persons

            off topic: vivamos = long live we all ;)

            Anna
            Two Seas

            =====
            Anna von Silvenhain