Re: [SCA Newcomers] moors?

  • tonia ewell-thomas
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 25, 2003
      Greetings M'Lord Tirloch,
      Many thanks for the web links they are great. My persona Zakiyya has a father who is a Berber from Morrocco and a mother who is a Spaniard. In my mundane life I am Afircan-American and Navajo so the look fits. I just need proper garb and maybe a longer hair style. I were braids with just my natural hair. It comes to my shoulders. Would they have worn wigs or extentions?
      let me know what you think.
      In your service,
      Zakiyya bint Qabus Abd al-Wadood

      Tirloch Ainmire O'Riordain <tirloch@...> wrote:
      Here are a couple of resource pages that could get you started. Are you
      interested in doing a Spanish persona during the Moorish occupation of
      Spain, or more of a Moorish persona in occupying Spain. Since the term
      Moor generally means someone from Morrocco, or Muslim in general you can
      broaden your search by looking at period Muslim culture and garb as well.

      Tirloch

      http://srproj.lib.calpoly.edu/projects/engl/Zapata_Liziel_L/resource.htm
      http://herso.freeservers.com/moors.html

      tonia_ewell_thomas wrote:

      > Hi,
      > Does anyone have a persona that is from Medieval Spain? I am planing
      > on being a Moorish woman but am having trouble getting background
      > info and garb. I would apprieciate anyone's help.
      > Tonia

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • tonia ewell-thomas
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 25, 2003
        Greetings Monica,
        How are you doing? I got some infomation on or Medieval Spain from the yahoo group Al_Andulus and from Tirloch Ainmire O'Rordain who is in this group. (he gave me a resource link that was very helpful. I am sure he will give it to you also.
        In your service,
        Zakiyya...

        Monica Cole <mizzmcbc@...> wrote:
        Hi Tonia and All,

        I'm new to this SCA stuff. My guy loves it though. My name is Monica. Although my birth name is of Spain decent I have chosen a Spain persona as well. I have been looking all over the Internet for information regarding Spaniards and Spain. am still looking myself. If you come across anything drop a line and let me in on some of the info.

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 27, 2003
          If you are interested in a Moorish persona, you might want to join one
          (or all!) of these groups:

          Middle Eastern Personas
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MiddleEasternPersonas

          There are also two others that have a ton of really good info, but not
          necessarily related to Spain:

          Turkish Personas Moderated
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Turkish_Personas_Moderated

          Some websites you might be interested in:

          http://witch.drak.net/lilinah/index.html A Wealth of information on
          al-Andalus

          http://users.lazerlink.com/~dwarph/al-musta'rib.html Newsletter on
          al-Andalus and al-Magrib

          I have MANY more! Let me know if you are looking for something in
          particular.

          YIS,

          Ja'ida al-Zarqa' bint Butrus al-Magribiyya
          (daugther of a Magrib horse and camel dealer in the 14th century!)

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "tonia_ewell_thomas"
          <tonia_ewell_thomas@y...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          > Does anyone have a persona that is from Medieval Spain? I am planing
          > on being a Moorish woman but am having trouble getting background
          > info and garb. I would apprieciate anyone's help.
          > Tonia
        • tonia ewell-thomas
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 27, 2003
            Greetings Jaida,
            Thank you for the 411. I belong to AL-Andulus and I will try the others.
            I like your name and persona. I am looking for info on the Cordova region and on the scholastic achievments of the time period. I am the daughter of a scholar/teacher.
            More later. I am under the weather today.