Re: Hi and introduction

  • chemistbb3
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 17, 2003
      Glad to have you! The more the merrier!!

      William

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Eirene Tzimiskina
      Kontostephanina" <maredudd@c...> wrote:
      > Greetings!
      >
      > My name is Eirene, and I saw this group on the SCA-garb list. I am
      > long-time member of the SCA and would love to help out newcomers to
      > the Society.
      >
      > My interests are (in no particular order) illumination, cookery,
      > tentmaking and period encampments including camp kitchens,
      > silversmithy, period useful and decorative plants, the Byzantine
      > culture, clothing and clothing embellishment using beads and
      > embroidery, millinery, and the culture of the tournament society. I
      > also have some experience with the services, including autocratting
      > and holding offices.
      >
      > My personna is middle Byzantine (960-ish), with frequent winter
      > forays into Russia. I have an alternate personna, too - that of a
      > Welsh woman living in the late 15th century in the "Low Countries".
      >
      > I'm not shy about answering questions (the only dumb question is
      the
      > one that wasn't asked) and I'm looking forward to being a part of
      > this list!
      >
      > Eirene
    • Monica Cole
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 18, 2003
        Since you let it be known that you do not have a problem discussing or answering questions, I have one.... 'How would I go about getting my named approved by the ....what is it herald?" I don't know who to contact nor who to forward my information ton at this present moment.

        Please help...

        chemistbb3 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        Glad to have you! The more the merrier!!

        William

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Eirene Tzimiskina
        Kontostephanina" <maredudd@c...> wrote:
        > Greetings!
        >
        > My name is Eirene, and I saw this group on the SCA-garb list. I am
        > long-time member of the SCA and would love to help out newcomers to
        > the Society.
        >
        > My interests are (in no particular order) illumination, cookery,
        > tentmaking and period encampments including camp kitchens,
        > silversmithy, period useful and decorative plants, the Byzantine
        > culture, clothing and clothing embellishment using beads and
        > embroidery, millinery, and the culture of the tournament society. I
        > also have some experience with the services, including autocratting
        > and holding offices.
        >
        > My personna is middle Byzantine (960-ish), with frequent winter
        > forays into Russia. I have an alternate personna, too - that of a
        > Welsh woman living in the late 15th century in the "Low Countries".
        >
        > I'm not shy about answering questions (the only dumb question is
        the
        > one that wasn't asked) and I'm looking forward to being a part of
        > this list!
        >
        > Eirene

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • chemistbb3
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 18, 2003
          The ultimate approval is from the Society's Laurel Soveren of Arms
          (sp?).

          My favorite starting place is talking to your local group's Herald.
          Usually they have some source books or can point you in the right
          direction. In addition, they can steer you away from time consuming
          mistakes AND make sure you have the proper forms, along with getting
          them filled out properly. There is also a fee involved for
          submissions and the Heralds handle being sure that gets routed
          properly too. On-line, almost every body goes to the Academy of St.
          Gaberille (sp?) and uses their links as sources, as they are amoung
          the most reliable on the web.

          In addition, you can always ask for help here, but you may want to be
          sure you have room in your in-box first.

          William
          (on his third try at a name submission)

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Monica Cole <mizzmcbc@y...>
          wrote:
          > Since you let it be known that you do not have a problem discussing
          or answering questions, I have one.... 'How would I go about getting
          my named approved by the ....what is it herald?" I don't know who to
          contact nor who to forward my information ton at this present moment.

          > Please help...

        • Dave & Megan
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 18, 2003
            You can post your name and device for comments at alt.heraldry.sca Do not send the actual picture of your artwork to the group, upload it to a webpage and post the url. They will be able to let you know whether or not your chosen name is documentable and where to look for that documentation and can help you fix any obvious errors before sending it off to your kingdom herald. If you aren't sure of who your local herald is, or if he is always absent, you can check your kingdom newsletter and find out where to send the information yourself.

            Gwenhyfar Stuart
            Starleaf Gate, Middle

            .
            Since you let it be known that you do not have a problem discussing or answering questions, I have one.... 'How would I go about getting my named approved by the ....what is it herald?" I don't know who to contact nor who to forward my information ton at this present moment.

            Please help...

            chemistbb3 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
            Glad to have you! The more the merrier!!

            William

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Eirene Tzimiskina
            Kontostephanina" <maredudd@c...> wrote:
            > Greetings!
            >
            > My name is Eirene, and I saw this group on the SCA-garb list. I am
            > long-time member of the SCA and would love to help out newcomers to
            > the Society.
            >
            > My interests are (in no particular order) illumination, cookery,
            > tentmaking and period encampments including camp kitchens,
            > silversmithy, period useful and decorative plants, the Byzantine
            > culture, clothing and clothing embellishment using beads and
            > embroidery, millinery, and the culture of the tournament society. I
            > also have some experience with the services, including autocratting
            > and holding offices.
            >
            > My personna is middle Byzantine (960-ish), with frequent winter
            > forays into Russia. I have an alternate personna, too - that of a
            > Welsh woman living in the late 15th century in the "Low Countries".
            >
            > I'm not shy about answering questions (the only dumb question is
            the
            > one that wasn't asked) and I'm looking forward to being a part of
            > this list!
            >
            > Eirene

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Cheryl Kierstead
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 18, 2003
              Greetings to Monica!

              I am from the Shire of Lyndhaven in the East Kingdom (mundanely, New
              Brunswick, Canada) and would like to share my device experience to
              date. I did much of the research online for my device design. (I
              also carefully observed other devices in use and asked many
              questions. I then posted a request for device help on our list "To
              any Pursuivant" and received a response almost immediately from
              a "Pursuivant-at-Large". We then took our discussion off-list (to
              avoid boring the others, amongst other things ;) He e-mailed a copy
              of required documents, which I then printed, completed, and snail-
              mailed to him, along with the required money order.I have found him
              to be most courteous and helpful. Now, we wait for a yea or nay
              from the College of Heralds, which can be a long wait indeed :(

              Regards,
              Liadan an Sionnach

              In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Monica Cole <mizzmcbc@y...> wrote:
              > Since you let it be known that you do not have a problem
              discussing or answering questions, I have one.... 'How would I go
              about getting my named approved by the ....what is it herald?" I
              don't know who to contact nor who to forward my information ton at
              this present moment.

              > Please help...
              >
              > chemistbb3 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              > Glad to have you! The more the merrier!!
              >
              > William
              >
              > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Eirene Tzimiskina
              > Kontostephanina" <maredudd@c...> wrote:
              > > Greetings!
              > >
              > > My name is Eirene, and I saw this group on the SCA-garb list. I
              am
              > > long-time member of the SCA and would love to help out newcomers
              > > the Society.
              > >
              > > My interests are (in no particular order) illumination, cookery,
              > > tentmaking and period encampments including camp kitchens,
              > > silversmithy, period useful and decorative plants, the Byzantine
              > > culture, clothing and clothing embellishment using beads and
              > > embroidery, millinery, and the culture of the tournament
              society. I
              > > also have some experience with the services, including
              autocratting
              > > and holding offices.
              > >
              > > My personna is middle Byzantine (960-ish), with frequent winter
              > > forays into Russia. I have an alternate personna, too - that of
              > > Welsh woman living in the late 15th century in the "Low
              Countries".

              > > I'm not shy about answering questions (the only dumb question is
              > the
              > > one that wasn't asked) and I'm looking forward to being a part
              of
              > > this list!
              > >
              > > Eirene
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Service.

            • Cheryl Kierstead
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 18, 2003
                Sorry, I forgot to say that I have at the same time submitted my
                name for approval. Herald says it has a good chance. Yay!

                Liadan

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Cheryl Kierstead"

              • chemistbb3
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 18, 2003
                  That's what they have always said about mine too. Unfortunatly, it
                  has also been good for the guy who submitted a variation on it just
                  before me. Oh well, I'll keep at it until I get it right! At least
                  I have my device passed!

                  William

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 19, 2003
                    Greetings from Eirene --
                    wrote:
                    > Since you let it be known that you do not have a problem discussing
                    or answering questions, I have one.... 'How would I go about getting
                    my named approved by the ....what is it herald?" I don't know who to
                    contact nor who to forward my information ton at this present moment.

                    > Please help...

                    :-)

                    It sounds like you've already gotten some good and sound advice.
                    Being an erstwhile herald, I would follow the reccomendation to seek
                    out your local hearald first, and then - should the situation not
                    suit - use one of the on-line groups and resources. In any case, a
                    second opinion is never a bad thing. Many of those on-line folks are
                    the very ones who will evaluate your submission in the end, and thus
                    they are excellent resources. You should submit through your local
                    herald anyway, to keep their records strait.

                    HOWever, let me provide one warning - do not commit to arms and name
                    hastily. Registering arms is not required for most things (Crown
                    tournaments being notable exceptions in some kingdoms), so take your
                    time. Do sone research. Many have later regretted arms or names that
                    at first seemed the perfect match (she says with feeling).

                    Eirene
                    Pursuivant
                    "Erminois, a black cat rampant sable and in chief two crescents
                    azure." Think about it on a lady's surcote... *sigh*
                  • chemistbb3
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 19, 2003
                      In your blazon, why do you have it listed as "a black cat rampant
                      sable"? Isn't "a cat rampant sable" correct, or is a black cat
                      different than a cat?

                      William

                      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Eirene Tzimiskina
                      Kontostephanina" <maredudd@c...> wrote:
                      > "Erminois, a black cat rampant sable and in chief two crescents
                      > azure."
                    • Iustinos Tekton called Justin
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 19, 2003
                        On Friday 19 September 2003 11:22, Eirene Tzimiskina Kontostephanina wrote:
                        > HOWever, let me provide one warning - do not commit to arms and name
                        > hastily. Registering arms is not required for most things (Crown
                        > tournaments being notable exceptions in some kingdoms), so take your
                        > time. Do sone research. Many have later regretted arms or names that
                        > at first seemed the perfect match (she says with feeling).

                        True enough, though some might say that my TWELVE YEARS of "not committing
                        hastily" was a little excessive. *Some* people might even accuse me of a
                        degree of, ummmm, procrastination. [GRIN]

                        fesswise reversed sable.

                      • Monica Cole
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 19, 2003
                          Thank you very much for your help and I will hopefully know if I may keep the name I have worked so hard to put together.Again thank you....

                          Eirene Tzimiskina Kontostephanina <maredudd@...> wrote:Greetings from Eirene --
                          wrote:
                          > Since you let it be known that you do not have a problem discussing
                          or answering questions, I have one.... 'How would I go about getting
                          my named approved by the ....what is it herald?" I don't know who to
                          contact nor who to forward my information ton at this present moment.

                          > Please help...

                          :-)

                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 19, 2003
                            Good for you. I hope mine gets the "thumbs up !!!".

                            chemistbb3 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:That's what they have always said about mine too. Unfortunatly, it

                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 24, 2003
                              Greetings from Eirene --

                              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, chemistbb3 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                              > In your blazon, why do you have it listed as "a black cat rampant
                              > sable"? Isn't "a cat rampant sable" correct, or is a black cat
                              > different than a cat?

                              No, my mistake - it is "a cat rampant sable".