RE:Crusader patterns

  • mark estepp
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 9, 2003
      Hello all ,

      I am new to the SCA .I have been working on a crusader persona and
      am having trouble patterns for garb .If anyone can help
      please ....Thanks in advance

      Christoff of Antioch
    • sca_celt
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 9, 2003
        Understanding that you are new to the SCA... I was wondering if you
        have thought of a particular timeframe or country you want your
        crusader from.

        The Crusades lasted for about 200 years (from Pope Urban II's Speech
        in 1095 until the Egyptian Sultan, al-Ashraf, began his assault upon
        Acre in 1291 <depending on the historian>) and Crusaders came from
        many different lands (England, France, Germany, Hungary, and
        others). I could post a new sites with costumes, but was not sure
        what you wanted. Are you looking for the "white tabard with a red
        cross" type of crusader? OR something more indepth?

        Rayne

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "mark estepp" <dashi@q...> wrote:
        > Hello all ,
        >
        > I am new to the SCA .I have been working on a crusader persona and
        > am having trouble patterns for garb .If anyone can help
        > please ....Thanks in advance
        >
        > Christoff of Antioch
      • chemistbb3
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 10, 2003
          The Crusades were not one campain into the Holy Lands. They cover a
          fairly large period of time and at least 3 major Crusades. Can you
          narrow it down a bit? Also, do you mean to be on the Crusades into
          the Middle East, or in Europe during that time. Crusader tended to
          adopt some of the local customs of dress while there.

          Has this complicated things enough for you yet? *grin* Ready to just
          go generic T-tunic? *grin* I am happy that you are interested in a
          full persona so early. I'm still working on mine, I just hit on a
          time period I wanted to do in the last 6 months or so.

          William

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "mark estepp" <dashi@q...> wrote:
          > Hello all ,
          >
          > I am new to the SCA .I have been working on a crusader persona and
          > am having trouble patterns for garb .If anyone can help
          > please ....Thanks in advance
          >
          > Christoff of Antioch
        • Sarah
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 10, 2003
            Hi!
            I too am considering a Crusade persona, only mine would be the female
            side :D. I have yet to decide on a time frame, though I think I will
            be from France. My idea is that I live in Outremer, but am in Europe
            visiting family, or is Outremer considered part of the SCA world?
            Anyway I would like my persona to be sufficiently 'outlandish' to be
            fun, though I know women didn't often look different from their
            European counterparts. Help, please? And do post any sites with
            costumes!!!
            Thanks,
            Sarah
          • sca_celt
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 10, 2003
              Some famous women who travelled to the Crusades were:
              Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine,who accompanied her husband Louis VII,
              leaving France in 1147 for the Holy Land. Eleanor de Montfort, sister
              of Henry III of England; Marguerite of Provence, wife of Louis IX of
              France; and Eleanor of Castile, wife of Prince Edward (later Edward
              I) of England.

              Here is a site on females during the Crusader Times:
              http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/2241/page3.html

              This site refers to "females concealing their sex beneath the
              disguise of armor" on Crusades.
              http://www.wayoflife.org/articles/jones23.htm

              A little about the effects of the Crusades on Women.
              http://www.womeninworldhistory.com/heroine3.html

              And there is a book dedicated to the subject of Women and the
              Crusades: Gendering the Crusades Edited by Susan B. Edgington and
              Sarah Lambert
              http://www.columbia.edu/cu/cup/catalog/data/023112/0231125984.HTM

              Hope some of this information is helpful. And since you are thinking
              you would be from France you might "claim" to have been inspired by
              your Queen.

              Rayne

              > Hi!
              > I too am considering a Crusade persona, only mine would be the
              female side :D. I have yet to decide on a time frame, though I
              think I will be from France. (parts snipped)
              > Thanks,
              > Sarah
            • sca_celt
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 10, 2003
                From Rayne (again)...

                I forgot to mention to watch your timeline, because The Church was
                never happy about Eleanor, attended by 300 of her ladies, going on
                crusade to help attend to the wounded. And later in a papal bull the
                Church forbade women of all sorts to joining any Crusades.

                And I forgot to add these websites on women fighting in Crusades:
                [http://freespace.virgin.net/nigel.nicholson/SSCLE/Crusade%20Faqs/A-
                women.html]

                And...
                http://geocities.com/Athens/Academy/2241/

                Rayne
              • Saraid ban-saorse
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 10, 2003
                  And then there's always the TEMPLAR angle...

                  -BanCu (who just finished The Da Vinci Code and has found a
                  whole new thang to obsess over)

                  http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com