Re: Need help with possible timeframe of my armor

  • chemistbb3
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 9, 2003
      Not having seen a picture, I would say mid/lateish 1300 - early/mid
      1400, transition armor. It sound like a fair bit of the armour our
      Tourney Company uses. Some of it will depend on the helm design and
      the way the knees and elbows are worked. The Brigandine sounds more
      like a midish-1300 coat of plates, more that the later style
      Brigandine.

      Early period stuff was more on the lines of maile and boiled
      leather. I'll see if I can drag up some links, but probably someone
      will beat me to it as it will take me a few days to get to a place
      where I can do some research.

      Hope this helped some.

      William

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "convlemans" <yamahak@h...>
      wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > I'm in need of more help dating (era) my armor. Unlike most
      > newbies I have my Armor and now want to match up a possible era for
      > my persona. It is all SCA legal I bought it a few years ago but
      > before I could use it I was in a accident and could not fight. So
      > hear I am in a new town again and the SCA bug has bitten me once
      > more. So I'm starting from scratch but with Armor first.
      >
      > Here is what I have:
      >
      > Helmet is a Italian style Sallet with a lifting grill.
      >
      > Arms and legs are black leather with splinted steel but all the
      > joints are 5 piece articulated steel (nicely done)
      >
      > Shoulders are all metal steel Spaulders
      >
      > Body is a Brigandine of sorts (Black leather outside with large
      metal
      > plates rivited to it on the inside.
      >
      > I would like a earlier period persona (Viking, Celt, Saxon or even
      > early crusades) but I am having trouble trying to document the
      Armor