Need help with possible timeframe of my armor

  • convlemans
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 9, 2003
      Hi all,

      I'm in need of more help dating (era) my armor. Unlike most
      newbies I have my Armor and now want to match up a possible era for
      my persona. It is all SCA legal I bought it a few years ago but
      before I could use it I was in a accident and could not fight. So
      hear I am in a new town again and the SCA bug has bitten me once
      more. So I'm starting from scratch but with Armor first.

      Here is what I have:

      Helmet is a Italian style Sallet with a lifting grill.

      Arms and legs are black leather with splinted steel but all the
      joints are 5 piece articulated steel (nicely done)

      Shoulders are all metal steel Spaulders

      Body is a Brigandine of sorts (Black leather outside with large metal
      plates rivited to it on the inside.

      I would like a earlier period persona (Viking, Celt, Saxon or even
      early crusades) but I am having trouble trying to document the Armor
      get up within that time frame.

      Once it is all on it is very mobile (not like leather but still good)

      So anyone got any input on a era for me to work in or even one I
      could use the seemingly hodgepodge armor suit?? I am open for
      suggestions, I just perfer to play merc/ traveler or earlier types,
      no highclass for me :-)

      Thanks,
    • chemistbb3
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9, 2003
        Not having seen a picture, I would say mid/lateish 1300 - early/mid
        1400, transition armor. It sound like a fair bit of the armour our
        Tourney Company uses. Some of it will depend on the helm design and
        the way the knees and elbows are worked. The Brigandine sounds more
        like a midish-1300 coat of plates, more that the later style
        Brigandine.

        Early period stuff was more on the lines of maile and boiled
        leather. I'll see if I can drag up some links, but probably someone
        will beat me to it as it will take me a few days to get to a place
        where I can do some research.

        Hope this helped some.

        William

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "convlemans" <yamahak@h...>